Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, this board is wonderful, and I used it to finally decide upon and purchase a 2002 GG EXL-RES.

I boutght what I thought was a used TL-S steering wheel from the local Acura dealer. Metal section looks totally different than pictures posted, so I suspect that this may be MDX wheel instead. I did go through wheel swap procedure and saw several physical differences than what is described in the wheel swap directions on Handa. This includes that audio nd cruise control screw from front into wheel instead of screws from behind into the brackets. Does anyone know if there is truly a difference and that the TL-S wheel may be incompatible with the 2002 Odyssey?

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
It sounds like you were sold an MDX steering wheel, which does NOT fit in the Ody. I believe the '02 should be the same as '99-'01 Ody, and should match the pictures in Nestor's gallery. If your "TL-S" wheel looks like it was constructed by bending some metal rods for the wheel portion, and welding it to a hub-plate, it's an MDX design. This will also fit Accords....

Take a look at this webpage I put up on how to tell which type of steering wheel hub you have, just to confirm your '02 is like the '99-'01.

http://ourworld.cs.com/shnjhn/ody/wheelswap.htm

Hope this clears it up. Lots of info on this site in regards to the wheel swap...

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked out your pictures. The original steering wheel they provided me is indeed an MDX wheel. However, I still believe the '02 wheel is different than the '99-'01 wheel. I took the MDX wheel back to the Acura dealership today, and we pulled out a wood TL-S wheel to check the hole pattern. At least a few things appear to be different with the '02 wheel. Only the airbaig connector is now under the bottom plate; the horn connector is now accessed by removing the airbag and it is toward the upper left of the wheel. The brackets for the audio and cruise control are significantly different; the '02 uses threaded holes that are space out further than the '99-'01; the controls screww into the metal hub, rather than having screws that pass from behind the hub through non-threaded holes to attach into the bracket.

Can anyone ese confirm if I am not crazy here? Anyone else try the steering wheel swap on the '02?

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Bob,
You don't sound crazy at all. You seem to have found out that Honda once again changed the hub design for '02... (probably to keep all us modders honest!)

Would it be possible for you to post a pic of your steering wheel/hub on your '02? I'd like to see myself. If you have no web presence, you can even email it to me and I'll post it to my site and post a URL.

Welcome to the club!

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

[This message has been edited by shinjohn (edited 10-10-2001).]

·
1,484 Posts
I don't know for sure...but just looking at the shape of the 2002 airbag (to me) it doesn't seem like it will fit the contours of the Acura/99-01 Ody steering wheel.

Take a look at the open area near the radio control buttons. The 99-01 is shaped like a triangle while the 02 seems larger and shaped like a square.

- Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

[This message has been edited by nemogira (edited 10-10-2001).]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SJ,

Sorry I haven't responded. We had a baby yesterday, so my concentration has obviously been on something other than my computer. I've never posted pictures before, but when I get a chance to go out and at least remove the airbag again, I can take a shot and try to load it in a reply or send to you.

FYI...Just received my Helm manual today. The wheel disassembly procedure follows the '99-'01, but is also different than the actual configuration of my '02 RES steering wheel. Not a big deal, since it's fairly easy to figure out how to diassemble / reassemble, but it does appear to be incompatible with the nice wheels everyone else is installing on their '99-'01 models.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Congrats on the baby Bob!!!!! Boy or girl? That's fantastic, and completely understandable! I've got #2 coming in Dec myself....

Anyhow, to post a pic, you have to put it on a web server somewhere (or web based picture hosting service such as Fototime or yahoo), and then link it to the forum using UBB/HTML. If this sounds confusing to you, just email it to me, I'll put it on my web, and then link it to this forum for all to see. No big deal. But take your time, I know you have bigger concerns now!

-SJ

p.s.- Sanjeev (1ody2nv) has also confirmed the TL-S wheel does not fit on the '02 Ody. Bummer for '02 owners everywhere!

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
122 Posts
That is right Shin John.

Sanjeev's lost is Shin John's gain.

Enjoy the steering wheels Shin John!!!

I guess it is Wood & Leather for me.

Trevor...Group Buy???

·
Registered
45 Posts
So can we confirm that the MDX wheel does not fit the new ('02) Odyssey? It would make sense to have the same part (rim, at least) since both are made at the same plant.

Assuming that's the case, have any of our crack product development/parts bin/cannibal members figured out whether there's another stock Honda product that fits the '02? I'd like to avoid the do-it-yourself leather wrap if I can.

As far as a group buy for leather/wood, I wonder if Dalts (the Canadian dealer) would be interested. Their 6-disk changers sure were a steal in Canadian dollars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts