Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I helped pick this car out in 2005 for a dear friend. He passed away (78) and his wife said "the Honda should go to you, he knows you like it".

For the last 7 or 8 years it was barely driven, it was only by me or her (he could not see well enough to drive anymore, we would take him out).

Enough backstory. 2005 in superb shape with 114,000 miles in the Boston area. So far I have only done two things. I replaced the door bumper stops on the top of the sliding door (the rubber had turned to sticky/yuck and they fell off) and I carefully spent hours and hours detailing van and scrubbing all leather seats (sky blue ext/gray leather int). We added Honda towing package so he "could tow" (but never did) and for the better cooling of steering and tranny, as they were beefed up. Also added Honda fog lights. Total in 2005 was just under r $36,000 as I remember.

Over the years there has been minimal maintenance needed, much of which I did (like battery changes and brakes/rotors). there was some dealer maint (overpriced) done over the years, including certain maint stuff, but the biggest thing I heard of was a tranny fluid change. (If timing belt was done I would have heard, is there anyway I can tell if it was done?). I might call dealer incase they have any records, kinda would not be surprised if they had pushed him to drop $1000 on Tbelt at 105K ( 105K was probably 5+ years ago)

There is only two distinct obvious issues currently
1. Front wheel bearings are getting noisy (need replacing)
2. At about 35MPH, when torque converter locks up or tries to, there is a tiny shudder. If I let off the gas a little (for a second) the torque converter locks up and it never shudders again. If I do not let of gas shudder continues till load is lowered. Shifts are smooth as glass at all times, and highway driving is also great (other than now present bearing noise/whine).
3. I know timing belt is due soon! I know if it fails van is effectively totalled.

I know either of these two things will total the van financially (unless they are very recent recent) bad engine and or bad transmission.

Before I drop what I expect will be $3K into timing belt and front wheel bearings, I want to ensure there is no tranny issue.

I will be doing at least one tranny fluid change and filter change to ensure tranny is good, before I drop thousands on timing belt and bearings etc...

Honestly between having the dealer do timing belt (nervous about a local shop doing it, and yes, they will be genuine Honda parts!) and having dealer/whoever do front wheel bearings /alignment. The cost of those two major things will be almost as much as the van is worth...

So here is my "Punch list" and the order I will do it (order is key IMO):

1. Install Muzzler II (already ordered). - Done by me.
2. Tranny fluid change (with filter if recommended by you guys) Tranny pan gasket if appropriate. - Done by me.
3. HONDA Parts, Timing belt change (with Idler and tensioner) Done by dealer (unless I get a really good recommendation of a local independent dealer).
4. Water pump change. - Done by dealer (unless I get a really good recommendation of a local independent dealer).
5. Front wheel bearings (and alignment). - Done by dealer (unless I get a really good recommendation of a local independent dealer).
6. Replace Spark plugs. - Done by me (which ones)
7. Steering fluid change with new reservoir (for new filter material). - Done by me.
8. Coolant change (flush) - Done by me (if flush is recommended buy you guys, done by dealer I guess)
9. install moon roof visor - Done by me.
10. Install Honda (or Weatherguard, the ones that are ground thin to fit in channels, and do not stick on) Window visors. - Done by me.
11. Optional - convert bulbs to LED (maybe headlights/fog lights too) all interior and most exterior. - Done by me.
12. Optional - buy good used 2010 LX/Touring wheels (2005 ones are corroded and look lousy IMO) - Done by me.
13. Optional - replace head light enclosures (have polished several times). - Done by me

I specifically listed my punch list cause I do not know the Ody like many of you and incase people say "While doing water pump change this hose too...." or "While doing plugs replace PCV etc."

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry that was so darn long, I wanted to avoid stuff like "You should have replaced ___ while the water pump was out...."

·
Registered
12 Posts
Howdy,
I think your list are very similiar with mine (aside from your optional lists)

see my post - 2006 EXL (91K) - maintenance list

I had a local independent mechanic did my timing belt (timing belt, serpetine belt, water pump and coolant fluid) for $965 total. I did the 3x transmission fluid flush myself. The fluid is ATF-DW1. I got them from my local dealership for $9.75/qt. I also replace the spark plugs myself (got them from rock auto) and installed the VCM tuner2 myself. So far so good

·
Registered
128 Posts
Tbelt runs around 7 to 900. Do look around for Honda dealers who offer tbelt specials. I got mine done by dealer about 1 hr drive away for around 600 using their coupon. Do make sure water pump will be replaced as well as Honda belt being used. Front bearing is bear to do DIY. I got it done at my mechanic for around 500 for both.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,089 Posts
2. Tranny fluid change (with filter if recommended by you guys) Tranny pan gasket if appropriate. - Done by me.
3. HONDA Parts, Timing belt change (with Idler and tensioner) Done by dealer (unless I get a really good recommendation of a local independent dealer).
4. Water pump change. - Done by dealer (unless I get a really good recommendation of a local independent dealer).
5. Front wheel bearings (and alignment). - Done by dealer (unless I get a really good recommendation of a local independent dealer).
7. Steering fluid change with new reservoir (for new filter material). - Done by me.
8. Coolant change (flush) - Done by me (if flush is recommended buy you guys, done by dealer I guess)
Do a 3x drain and fill of the ATF with a few hundred miles of driving in between to see if the shudder improves. There is an external spin-on filter on the '05 that ought to be changed too as preventative maintenance, but I would do the 3x drain/fill to see if there are improvements first. If you want to stick to OEM fluid, it's DW-1. You can also use a number of aftermarket fluids (I personally use Valvoline MaxLife, which is a synthetic), but many forum members swear by OEM fluid. Since you're already having shudder problems, it might be a good idea to stick to OEM to rule out an additional variable. I don't see why you'd need to change the pan gasket if it's not leaking.

You can add the car to a Honda Owners account to see its maintenance history at Honda dealers. You can also add it to the CarFax maintenance tool, which might pull some info up. If you want to post your VIN here, I can look it up on the CarFax maintenance record for you to see if the timing belt has ever been changed.

It is recommended on this forum to use the Aisin timing belt kit from RockAuto. For all intensive purposes, it is OEM quality. This kit comes with a Mitsuboshi timing belt, Aisin water pump, Aisin belt tensioner, and Koyo idlers. It's OEM stuff on Toyotas, so it's more or less the same quality as OEM Honda. Whether you choose to go OEM Honda or Aisin, don't buy from Ebay or Amazon --- there are lots of fakes, so buy from RockAuto only for Aisin. Honda doesn't actually sell a "kit" with its timing belt components, so you need to buy the timing belt, water pump, idlers, and tensioner separately. It's crucial to replace the tensioner with the belt. It's really a good idea to get the Aisin kit since it comes with all the other idlers that it's a good idea to replace as well, and it's much cheaper.

I wouldn't be concerned about letting an independent mechanic tackle this, if you have one that you frequent and trust. The J35 engine has been around for over 20 years, and the new Honda Odysseys still use a variant of this engine with the same timing belt. Any independent mechanic should be familiar with this engine, as it was used across all of the Honda and Acura lineup. That being said, sometimes you can find specials/coupons for local dealers on the timing belt job. Keep in mind the initial advertised quote often doesn't include ALL the parts (i.e. you need to pay extra for the tensioner).

The coolant will be changed when you change the water pump with the timing belt job. No need to do this separately. If you don't go to a dealer, make sure the mechanic uses a Honda-formula coolant (doesn't need to be OEM, but should be the same formula, such as Pentofrost A2 or Zerex Asian Blue).

Buy the OE NGK spark plugs from RockAuto. Spark plugs are also a commonly counterfeited item off Ebay and Amazon, so only buy from RockAuto, as they have control over their entire supply chain. They're not expensive, I bought all 6 for a little over $50 about a year ago. PS fluid and reservoir is a good idea --- you can buy these materials from discount online dealers like Bernardi or Majestic. I'd recommend OEM PS fluid, it's actually cheaper than most aftermarket fluids and Honda PS systems are sensitive so you don't want to use the wrong thing.

Reactions: thscott

·
Registered
655 Posts
Lots of sound, practical advice above. While you are at Rock for the plugs ( see your OM for the specific part number or numbers spec'd by Honda), check out the Aisin brand version of DW-1 ATF. It's not a universal fluid, it's formulated to Honda specs by a very reliable supplier of transmissions (to Toyota and other manufacturers with better reps for their trannies than Honda has), transmission fluids and other parts, as mentioned above. Actually majority owned by Toyota, lol.

Oh, the TB (and related parts) change is not at all challenging technically. What you are looking for is a tech who is patient, methodical and "buttons up" the job nicely.

·
Registered
2005 EXL
16 Posts
Sorry that was so darn long, I wanted to avoid stuff like "You should have replaced ___ while the water pump was out...."
I have a 05 ODYSSEY (183,000 Miles). I "HAD" the Same transmission issues. I took it to Honda. They said...Torque converter. $2300. Yesterday I installed (plug and play) VCM TUNNER 2...(Its a Freakin Miracle). Tranny Shifting IS FIXED..... $130 after tax and delivered to my door in 3 days. I hope I didn't just JINKS MYSELF. But I'm so happy it worked. I love the van. Now I can keep it. I payed $2600 for it. Wasn't going to pay $2300 to Honda. I took a Honda Tech on a 30 mile test drive. City and Highway. I told him... It only happens when the ECO light comes on. Can I disable the ECO? Not a word from him. Thats when I Started researching tranny issues on Odyssey's. on You tube. I found the VCM TUNER2 there. Thats also when I found this ODY Site. VCM TUNER 2 Discussion was on here. Some people talked about the Muzzler throwing codes and temperature issues. I ran around town and Highways yesterday for 70 miles. ONLY GOOD THING HAPPENED. NO ISSUSE DETECTED. So.... If you encounter issues with the Muzzler. Return it and get the VCM TUNER 2. P>S> I am not affiliated in any way with the VCM TUNER 2. I'm just really happy that it worked. It Literally Saved me THOUSANDS $$$$$

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I did buy a Muzzler2 (from the person on here) and will install it as soon as it comes in, but sadly this is specifically the lock up torque converter engaging and is NOT tied to "ECO" It will be superb (beyond really) if that fixes it, but I'm assuming it's beyond a remote chance. When the Van is heated up, "ECO" mode (VCM engaged) goes in and out, it does not shudder.

Not looking forward to it but I think the 3X fluid change is way to go. Question, which of those changes should I install a new white plastic reservoir (the one that has little filter in it). Also if I replace the tranny filter on the side (watched video on white 2006 Ody LX, if it is the same design, it is not screw off - and it looks kind of like a PITA). If I change it (ugh) again which fluid change?

Is there any tell tale sign I can see physically to tell me if it was done? I remember when they would do a T-belt years ago on Chrysler 4 cylinder they would physically notch (remove a small chunk) of a cover to get to some bolt.... I will ask the Widow if she recalls, but I am not hopeful...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will be sure to create a rock auto account and get plugs from there. Get other parts from there too, like OEM Honda parts (do they even have them), like the white plastic tranny reservoir (with filter mesh inside)? I am guessing some (Honda) dealer that offers a good deal online, like HandA or one near me (Bernardi I think)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to the superb help from jiantao, he found that "stuff" was likely done before dealer changed hands (hence why they did not have info). I will modify list slightly:

04/08/2014, with 87,748 mi, at Honda Dealer:
  • Maintenance inspection completed
  • Air filter replaced
  • Power steering fluid flushed/changed
  • Brake master cylinder replaced/repaired
  • Transmission fluid changed
  • Timing belt replaced
With date I will try and find info/receipt from widow of owner (and find out if they replaced the tensioner/idler).

It would be nice if they did Water Pump as well, but that is not a show stopper (I assume it simply leaks when it fails).

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,089 Posts
There are cases when a water pump seizes, and snaps the timing belt from locking up. This typically happens on cheap aftermarket water pumps. I haven't heard of this happening on OE Honda water pumps made by Yamada. There are many people who replace the water pump at the 2nd timing belt change at 210K and very few reported issues. It's cheap insurance to do it during the 1st timing belt change, but no big deal if it wasn't done.

The white reservoir with the screen... are you referring to the power steering reservoir/fluid?

A 2005 Odyssey transmission DOES have a screw-on external transmission filter. It was the same for 2005-2006.

RockAuto does not have OEM Honda parts. You'll can get those for a competitive price from Majestic Honda or Bernardi Honda. They do, in some cases, have parts manufactured by the OEM Honda manufacturer (i.e. Denso, Aisin, etc.).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Superb news, heard from previous owner's wife "I just located the invoice from April 8 and 9, 2014. A bunch of stuff was done: Timing belt, water pump, other related parts; transmission fluid; power steering flush; brake fluid flush; recall fuel filter kit; brake master cylinder repair kit - recall. Bottom line: $1,098.25 (after discount). I'll give you the invoice if you want it; it gives more detail than I just did."

So exiting. Also got a "verbal" quote from local Honda dealer "About $700 per side"

I got a quote from a dealer about an hour away "$851 total, all honda parts and labor, includes alignment" (I will likely use them, no way I want to wrestle with that job)

So I will look at invoice from 2014, but as they did Water pump I will assume a complete coolant change was done (not just top it off).

Question would folks recommend Tranny (side) filter change before drain/fill x3 or after? (or in middle)

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,089 Posts
That's good news. You should be good to go. I guess the dealer never reported the water pump to CarFax. Check the invoice specifically for the tensioner.

Yes, a complete coolant change was likely done with the water pump. You can leave the coolant alone for now.

For the wheel bearings, if you have a trusted independent mechanic, I would wager he would be cheaper. You don't really need to go to the dealer for wheel bearings. You might also only need one wheel bearing replaced, perhaps not both. They don't necessarily go bad at the same time together.

I would change the filter after the 3x ATF change. Or perhaps after the 2nd drain... up to you.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Sorry, gotta' disagree with jiantao about the coolant. You're going on 7 years with the coolant against a 5 year recommendation by Honda. Cheap and easy to do yourself. I never want to lose a heater core to neglected coolant.

Reactions: jiantao

·
Registered
15 Posts
I helped pick this car out in 2005 for a dear friend. He passed away (78) and his wife said "the Honda should go to you, he knows you like it".

For the last 7 or 8 years it was barely driven, it was only by me or her (he could not see well enough to drive anymore, we would take him out).

Enough backstory. 2005 in superb shape with 114,000 miles in the Boston area. So far I have only done two things. I replaced the door bumper stops on the top of the sliding door (the rubber had turned to sticky/yuck and they fell off) and I carefully spent hours and hours detailing van and scrubbing all leather seats (sky blue ext/gray leather int). We added Honda towing package so he "could tow" (but never did) and for the better cooling of steering and tranny, as they were beefed up. Also added Honda fog lights. Total in 2005 was just under r $36,000 as I remember.

Over the years there has been minimal maintenance needed, much of which I did (like battery changes and brakes/rotors). there was some dealer maint (overpriced) done over the years, including certain maint stuff, but the biggest thing I heard of was a tranny fluid change. (If timing belt was done I would have heard, is there anyway I can tell if it was done?). I might call dealer incase they have any records, kinda would not be surprised if they had pushed him to drop $1000 on Tbelt at 105K ( 105K was probably 5+ years ago)

There is only two distinct obvious issues currently
1. Front wheel bearings are getting noisy (need replacing)
2. At about 35MPH, when torque converter locks up or tries to, there is a tiny shudder. If I let off the gas a little (for a second) the torque converter locks up and it never shudders again. If I do not let of gas shudder continues till load is lowered. Shifts are smooth as glass at all times, and highway driving is also great (other than now present bearing noise/whine).
3. I know timing belt is due soon! I know if it fails van is effectively totalled.

I know either of these two things will total the van financially (unless they are very recent recent) bad engine and or bad transmission.

Before I drop what I expect will be $3K into timing belt and front wheel bearings, I want to ensure there is no tranny issue.

I will be doing at least one tranny fluid change and filter change to ensure tranny is good, before I drop thousands on timing belt and bearings etc...

Honestly between having the dealer do timing belt (nervous about a local shop doing it, and yes, they will be genuine Honda parts!) and having dealer/whoever do front wheel bearings /alignment. The cost of those two major things will be almost as much as the van is worth...

So here is my "Punch list" and the order I will do it (order is key IMO):

9. install moon roof visor - Done by me.
10. Install Honda (or Weatherguard, the ones that are ground thin to fit in channels, and do not stick on) Window visors. - Done by me.
11. Optional - convert bulbs to LED (maybe headlights/fog lights too) all interior and most exterior. - Done by me.
12. Optional - buy good used 2010 LX/Touring wheels (2005 ones are corroded and look lousy IMO) - Done by me.
13. Optional - replace head light enclosures (have polished several times). - Done by me

I specifically listed my punch list cause I do not know the Ody like many of you and incase people say "While doing water pump change this hose too...." or "While doing plugs replace PCV etc."
I own a 2006 and also own a repair shop and here is my two cents

1: yes, do this ASAP

2:yes, and keep up with changing it every 15-30K miles

3:No need for “Honda Parts” honda doesn’t make them, go to Rock auto and buy the Aisin full timing belt kit, and do this ASAP. also 1000 bucks for a timing belt replacement including water pump and labor and tax is really not that expensive

4: Covered under 2 and 3.

5: Yes

6: Yes, NGK’s

7: yes, reservoir es very easy to replace and cheap

8: yes

9: Why not

10: Yes

11: why not

12: Yes, if you are going with the touring wheels, make sure you stick to 2010, previous years wheels came with run flat tires which are almost impossible to get.

13: why not

If you decide not to replace the wheels, check the date code on the tires, if they are tool old, even if they look fine, it would be wise to replace them.

Change brake fluid, air filter and cabin filter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
793 Posts
12: Yes, if you are going with the touring wheels, make sure you stick to 2010, previous years wheels came with run flat tires which are almost impossible to get.
Well the entire 2008-10 model year range had Touring non-PAX wheels around.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,089 Posts
Sorry, gotta' disagree with jiantao about the coolant. You're going on 7 years with the coolant against a 5 year recommendation by Honda. Cheap and easy to do yourself. I never want to lose a heater core to neglected coolant.
Ah, you're right. I completely forgot there was a time recommendation for the coolant also. I figured he wasn't at 50K yet, so he could wait till then.

To be fair, Honda says the initial fill is good for 10 years, and subsequent fills are good for 5, probably since you can't ever really get all the old coolant out. You do get most of it, though, so I'd suspect the coolant lasts quite a bit longer than 5 years. I agree, for $15 or so, draining and refilling the coolant is easy, so why risk it.

·
Registered
2005 EXL w Nav
130 Posts
Being in the same boat of recently acquiring a 2005 with the typical maintenance I have been hitting some of the things you have posted. I also noticed some deteriorated rubber. This van is in the northeast, so salt may be playing a part, but I had to replace the side engine mount and noticed some torn bushings in the lower control arms. I bet the front and rear motor mounts need attention, but haven't looked too closely yet.

The van also had a battery drain issue with the power sliding doors that needed repair.
There was a leaky power steering line (pressure line was leaking and down below some hose clamps on a return line stopped doing there job. Lots of dash lights out... working through that with aftermarket bulbs now. Those last few don't fall under the category of maintenance, but I thought I would share

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Installed VCM Muzzler2 today (car cold all night). next is to get paperwork and see what dealer did do (tensioner/idler). If they did not replace, can they only be changed without a huge hassle (and doing belt?) Could I do it (if needed? I am pretty savvy, but no lift etc.)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not at all looking forward to it, but I will do tranny filter when it gets a bit warmer up here in "Bean Town" (Boston MA. area). Watched video, looks like a messy PITA but I can do it...Will also possibly install one of those "magnefine" filters... (and maybe put a second on steering fluid)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts