Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. Im going to replace the external filter and add a trans cooler to my ODy. Runs great. Has a slight whine when running but shifts great otherwise. Will shift hard into reverse if I do not let it warm up. Question is should I even bother at this point with a cooler or the trans filter and should i flush or just drain and fill the three quarts. I did have a shop flush about all it could at around 110000 miles. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I would not advise machine flushing the tranny, but there shouldn't be any problem with draining the ATF and re-filling with new fluid. I just did a 4X drain/fill with DW-1 ATF with 148K on my 2004 along with an ATF filter replacement. The only other prior tranny maintenance was the 2nd gear oil jet recall and a 1X drain/fill at 68K miles.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you drained x4 what did you do. Just drain out three quarts, drive aroud the block and do it again four times. What is the problem with "flushing"? Thanks

·
Registered
409 Posts
I did drain & fills with several days to a week of driving in between them. You just have to drive it enough to get the torque converter to lock up a few times. I had a 94 Grand Caravan prior to the Odyssey; I paid to have an ATF flush done on it one day and afterward it never up-shifted out of 2nd gear again; ended up spending $2000+ to get it fixed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have never done a tranny flush. However, I am religious in changing tranny fluid. (x5 already @ 140k miles) When I installed an aftermarket tranny cooler though, I have noticed that the tranny fluid retained it red color better and does not smell bad like before.

·
Registered
569 Posts
When you drained x4 what did you do. Just drain out three quarts, drive aroud the block and do it again four times. What is the problem with "flushing"? Thanks
Flushes are notorious for inducing a failure within a few months. Drain/refill are the approved suggested method.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Glad I read this one. I have 114k on my 04, and despite what I have read (that supposedly the notorious 5-speed failures were fixed after the 03 model year), I don't trust it completely. I have had the van since October 2010 and have never had a single issue other than the driver's rear window motor failure, but I've been holding off on any tranny fluid work due to exactly what jondotcom said just above. The Magnefine filter and an external cooler are on the list, and I think that I'll start doing the drain and fill like you guys are talking about just to be sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts