Honda Odyssey Forum banner

To flush or not to flush ATF

713 Views 15 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Drac
I have a 2012 EXL with 94,000 miles that I don't believe has ever had ATF flushed or replaced.

I took it to a shop and they said they wouldn't flush it if it hadn't been done before at that mileage because they are worried that it might knock things loose inside and create problems with the transmission.

I am not aware of any transmission issues currently although acceleration has been sluggish the last few months.

Is their concern valid? I haven't ever heard this before.
Reactions: tdelco
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2015 Touring Elite
60 Posts
I have a 2012 EXL with 94,000 miles that I don't believe has ever had ATF flushed or replaced.

I took it to a shop and they said they wouldn't flush it if it hadn't been done before at that mileage because they are worried that it might knock things loose inside and create problems with the transmission.

I am not aware of any transmission issues currently although acceleration has been sluggish the last few months.

Drain and Fill now

Then drain and fill with every other oil change until you do the timing belt
at which point if it was me I, at the time of the timing belt.

I will do every Fluid in the car, and add oil to the A/C system if it is needed... At this point, that car should start learning the way you do things and not the last owner...assuming you just got the vehicle.
best of luck with the Ody

· Registered
117 Posts
i have the exact same make and model and recently did a drain and refill. the drain bolt had so much crap on there it was scary to clean off.

Reactions: 0dyfamily

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
7,291 Posts
3x drain and fill now, do another one in 15-30k and keep that up regularly.

Reactions: 0dyfamily and Drac

· Registered
117 Posts
if it looks like a flower of filings on the magnet, youre in for trouble.
if it was just black sludge, youre good.
mine looked like a bunch of sludge. when i wipe it with paper towel it's not metal or anything.. almost like light bacon fat.

3x drain and fill now, do another one in 15-30k and keep that up regularly.
should we drive around first before doing another drain and fill?

Reactions: 2011.2017.odyssey

· Registered
3,120 Posts
mine looked like a bunch of sludge. when i wipe it with paper towel it's not metal or anything.. almost like light bacon fat.

Yes, definitely cycle through all of the gears between each drain/fill. They don’t all have to be done on the same day either. Do one each weekend for the next three weekends is an acceptable strategy too.

· Registered
7,291 Posts
Yes, that is what the process entails. How much to drive is really up to you. Some like to do it in consecutive days. I think it might be good to spend a Saturday each week doing it for 3 weeks.

· Registered
117 Posts
Yes, definitely cycle through all of the gears between each drain/fill. They don’t all have to be done on the same day either. Do one each weekend for the next three weekends is an acceptable strategy too.
sounds like a plan. goes i'll need to order more maxlife ATF.

Yes, that is what the process entails. How much to drive is really up to you. Some like to do it in consecutive days. I think it might be good to spend a Saturday each week doing it for 3 weeks.
yup we got a tahoe family trip later this month.. so figure i'd best get another couple rounds of flush done before then.

Reactions: WiiMaster

· Banned
279 Posts

Our cars are so finicky when it comes to fluids and additives that I wouldn't attempt to clean the trans with any additive. I have used the lanolin based engine & trans cleaner in the past on other makes, successfully, but I would never dose a honda. Just listen to the great advice these guys gave you. Would also change the secret trans filter, I just did at 45k miles.

· Registered
7,291 Posts
Additives like LubeGard Red are perfectly fine on Honda ATs and can really help things.

· Registered
2015 Touring Elite
60 Posts

Yes, a few days or a week or two depends on your day-to-day. in my case I am on the highway every morning M-F to work and again back home. so if you are local dive a bit longer or make a few highway runs to make sure you move that fluid around to get a really good mix before you drain a second time Ect...

· Registered
117 Posts
Yes, a few days or a week or two depends on your day-to-day. in my case I am on the highway every morning M-F to work and again back home. so if you are local dive a bit longer or make a few highway runs to make sure you move that fluid around to get a really good mix before you drain a second time Ect...
yea wifey usually use it to shuttle kiddos around, so some freeway driving once a week. since gas is crazy high in CA, we try not to drive too much.

· Registered
2015 Touring Elite
60 Posts
yea wifey usually use it to shuttle kiddos around, so some freeway driving once a week. since gas is crazy high in CA, we try not to drive too much.
I totally understand what you mean, and yes gas in CA, is crazy. Try to find a Costco in your area, they should have the cheapest gas.
the Costco here in NJ is the cheapest I have found so look into that as well. Try not to change too much too fast with the transmission.
You want it to be like one slice at a time so the change takes place but not at a drastic rate, just constant.
Best of luck with the Ody.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.