Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Should we invest $2,900 on a new transmission in an Odyssey with 260,000 miles?

• Yes

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 50.0%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Odyssey which I love! Transmission died and debating to replace or not. Honda replaced the original at 95,000 miles under warranty/recall. Currently at 260,000 miles. Until the tranny started slipping and eventual total failure, it's been a great car and better than our 2008 Odyssey! For $2,900 my mechanic will replace it. We use the car like a pickup to haul, dog park runs and a cheap backup when other cars are in the shop. was ready to put it to pasture but given the car market, not sure now. Just want to get pros and cons on replacing the transmission with such high mileage.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I think you mean, "rebuilt" transmission. (not new?). Based on your use of the van, I'd spend the $2,900. Where can you buy in today's market, a good used van for $2,900. Engine should be good for at least 300,000 miles or more.

Just be sure you have a reputable transmission person, with recommendations do the rebuild.:)

When was the timing belt changed.

·
Registered
10,434 Posts
Sounds like you use the '02 only part-time, not accumulating a lot of miles.

In that case, I would rebuild the transmission. It will probably last the remainder of the van's life with regular ATF service.

The small but expensive stuff (e.g. suspension, alternator, etc.) will then become the van's Achilles heel, but those will last with fewer miles put on them.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,951 Posts
For $2,900 I would seriously consider getting a newer used van. You can still scrap the 2002 for a few hundred bucks, which will give you over $3K to get a newer car. Yes, the used car market is quite inflated, but there are still good deals to be found.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.