Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Speaking of tire changing and scissor jacks....I got a screw in my left front tire over the holiday also. The jack worked fine, but does not provide a sense of safety when extended. One question though....does anyone have any issues with having a tire repaired versus a new replacement. I have had previous tires repaired and had no problems on my car, but I hesitate when I am dealing with the "kid mobile". I don't want to be responisbile for getting the family stuck when I am not around. Thanks,

sb

·
Registered
71 Posts
We patched. I have confidence that the patch will hold.

------------------
Eric
'01 SS EX/NAVI
Next up: Replace factory speakers

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have not had the need to repair a tire in a long time, but every time I had one done they removed the tire and plugged it from the inside rather than inserting from outside.

It is more expensive due to mount and balance required but it seems to make sense. They can remove the offending item from inside the tire and keep the adhesives sealed in the tire.

[This message has been edited by robr2 (edited 07-05-2001).]

·
Registered
276 Posts
Tire plug inserted from the outside is only meant for temporary repair, the puncture has to be plugged from the inside. If the puncture is too close to the edge of the tire (within 1" or so), the tire should be replaced because the patch will come loose due to the flexible nature of the steel belted radial tire.

-Harry

·
Registered
122 Posts
I ran over a cermaic coffe mug leaving a funeral and had two flat tires at the same time. I went to the nearest service station and filled my tires full of air and drove quickly to the nearest tire store. One tire the hole was in the treads and we patched it from the inside. It has performed flawlessly. The other hole was in the inside sidewall. The tire store did not carry symmetrys. they told me 1 week to order. We filled the tire with air and I drove likedy split to another tire store where they mounted a virtual new tire for me to use while I was waiting for the symmetry. I have since found that the only local store that carries the symmetry is walmart. Walmart also has the best price. mid 90's installed and balanced. my reccomendation is if the hole is solidly in the treads patch it. However if it is anywhere near the side walls to replace it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice.....The screw pushed through the middle of the tread. I stopped by Costco this afternnon and had it repaired from the inside. Give the nod to Costco....free rotation and tire repair, no mater where you bought the tires. Membership pays for itself.

·
Registered
126 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sab2624:
Thanks for the advice.....The screw pushed through the middle of the tread. I stopped by Costco this afternnon and had it repaired from the inside. Give the nod to Costco....free rotation and tire repair, no mater where you bought the tires. Membership pays for itself.</font>
I had my front driver tire repaired about 2 months ago at Costco. I like their service very much. They plug and patch from the inside. After the repair, I noticed a large weight was added for balance. When I drove the Ody a week later (wife's Ody). I noticed a shimmy over 60 MPH. The weight was gone. Back to Costco and they did a "static" balance with stick on weights. Apparently it was hard to crimp on weights on the alloys and have them stay without possibly denting the rim. I watched them do the work since I forgot to give them my wheel lock key and they where waiting for me when I went to pick up the Ody. I didn't think a "static" balance would work for the heavy and reportedly shimmy prone Odyssey. But so far so good.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One other tip I learned during this tire changing experience was to check the air pressure in the spare tire Honda provides. My "donut" was down to 35 PSI which was far below the required 60 PSI.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I used to work in a tire place when I was going to school and if I recall correctly you didn't want to plug a tire. I guess it had to do with possibly separting tread or too close to side wall perhaps. I would go with the patch. If your courious the patch process was to take the tire off the rim, then use a grinder (kinda like a huge dremmel with metal grinding head) but you needed to be careful of grinding too much of rubber off the inside which would reveal belts. The rubber cement then sticky rubber patch. Then a roller on the inside to ensure contact. Put back on rim then blow it up. Always held for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts