Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow might be a big day. We plan to pick up an Odyssey, but I'm not sure which to get exactly.

I am thinking of Touring mostly because of the 6 speed transmission. Is it really worth it?

If they had 6 speed throughout, I think I'd get the the EX-L with Navi. Or even just the EX-L.

It seems like the 6 speed accelerates better and has better freeway fuel economy.

Thanks,
Shige

·
Registered
687 Posts
To Tour or not to Tour is something only you can decide. You have to weigh if all the extra features are worth it to you.

I was faced with the same dilemma and here is Canada it's an all or nothing proposition as we only have one level of Touring (Elite). We're talking a $6K difference between the EX-L Res and Touring. I must admit though, I love the entertainment system of the Touring model.

Anyway, take your time, try out both models and then make a decision with your head and your heart.

;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Whichever you choose, please take the time to check it over very well before you commit, particularly for paint and panel fit issues. Seems to be some huge variation in assembly quality between vehicles.

·
Registered
469 Posts
from the going price that i saw recently in CA, the difference between EX-L and touring is about $6k - 7k.

the main selling point for touring (to me) is

- 6 speed (i don't really care about better acceleration, and there 1 mpg difference in milage. but i would imagine the resale value would be better for 6 speed down the road. i did read about the 6 speed in some occassion will hunt for gears. that's not a good thing in my book) is the 5 sp unit more reliable than the 6?

- compelet with Navi and RES. if you are after both, then touring is good from the factory.

- 3 row sun shade. not a huge deal. but if you want factory shade for 3rd row. you don't have much choose here.

- other accessories. if you are planning on loading up the EX-L with a lot of factory accessories, then maybe the touring makes more sense.

for me, i like the touring but i don't like the going price for them. so we might opt for Ex-L instead or wait it out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
went with the EX-L w/RES

Comes down to your personal pref. and needs. I went with the EX-L w/RES because I couldn't justify the extra 5k for the Touring.

Like anything you get what you pay for, but I couldn't justify 5k for Navi, foglights, widescreen RES, 6speed and 3rd row visors & backup sensors.

If I didn't have the rear backup camera, then the backup sensors would be nice. The 6speed tranny gets 1mpg more, 3rd row visors, no big deal. I have a vent mounted Garmin w/lifetime maps & traffic that I will eventually hard wire for perm. install.

I may purchase the fog lights and install myself for $315 online.

Either way, you're not going to go wrong. Good luck on your upcoming purchase.

·
Registered
196 Posts
...I am thinking of Touring mostly because of the 6 speed transmission. Is it really worth it? ... It seems like the 6 speed accelerates better and has better freeway fuel economy. ...
Questions for you to consider, in light of your post above:

• Is the 6-speed worth it for you, thinking about the way you drive, what terrain you cover most of the time? It's not just about muscle here.
  • How do you know the 6-speed accelerates better? Generally speaking, I would think it really difficult to be sure because it really depends on how the Honda automatic adjusts and upshifts (or doesn't). Overall, the 6-speed could get better fuel economy, but unless you do ALL your driving on the highway, I think that the amount would be negligible.
Either way, good luck tomorrow!

We chose our EX-L because we did not need 6-speed, NAV (we already own a Garmin Nuvi that is outstanding) or RES (our children will get by without being glued to a TV screen) or 3rd row sun-shades (most of the time, people are not sitting back there) or HID. I paid separate for the options I wanted (fog-lamps, side-moulding and now roof rails) and I'm not even close to $1000, let alone nearing the $5K-$6K more the Touring would have cost.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The main differences between the two are:
1. 6 speed transmission
2. Rear entertainment system
3. 18 wheels

I see no real benefit in having the 6 speed tranny when the 5 speed is plenty good. I would never use the entertainment system and the 18 wheels do not look as good as the 17's. To me, it was an easy choice. They charge too much money to upgrade IMHO.

The EX-L with Navigation is the way to go.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I am thinking of Touring mostly because of the 6 speed transmission. Is it really worth it?

If they had 6 speed throughout, I think I'd get the the EX-L with Navi. Or even just the EX-L.
Found ourselves in the exact same situation when looking for our '11 Odyssey and it came down to a few key things - 1) we found ZERO Mocha Metallic Tourings in DC area, 2) dealer wasn't willing to do much negotiating on Touring price, however 3) they we're willing to deal on a Mocha Metallic EX-L w/ nav they had in stock.

Honestly, if they would have had a MM Touring in stock we may have made the jump up but only under the right circumstances. Based on our driving habits (90% suburban kid hauling and errands), the only substantial upgrade in the Touring is the RES.

The EX-L with Navigation is the way to go.
Agreed.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I didn't test drive both, so can someone compare the cabin noise of a touring vs none touring? The touring has an acoustic windshield.

We bought the touring Elite for the gizmos, but mostly for hid headlamps and memory seats. A feature that was a pleasant surprise was the blind spot sensors.

We keep our cars for many years, so that was partially how we justified the
Extra cost of everything.

Also, as a personal preference I prefer the look of the 18 inch wheels.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I didn't test drive both, so can someone compare the cabin noise of a touring vs none touring? The touring has an acoustic windshield.
This was actually one of the main reasons we strongly considered the Touring. The cabin noise in our '02 Odyssey was terrible on the highway. I think our '11 is substantially quieter but the road noise isn't entirely gone. Much, much better.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
This was actually one of the main reasons we strongly considered the Touring. The cabin noise in our '02 Odyssey was terrible on the highway. I think our '11 is substantially quieter but the road noise isn't entirely gone. Much, much better.
We test drove a 2010 touring and 2011 touring only, and the highway noise in the 2010 was a total dealbreaker. I just never got the chance to drive a 2011 non-touring to compare.

·
Registered
9 Posts
we wanted NAV and RES, so touring was it....we have touring and touring elite here in CA. we did not like the wide screen in the elite (talk about promoting ADHD, LOL); two separate monitors would have been better, HID not a big deal to me, as well as the blind spot sensor (I just set my mirrors to cover blind spots).

good luck with the purchase...and remember not to fall for the pricey hondacare pitch...you can buy it elsewhere for much less.

·
Registered
53 Posts
WE bought the touring because, I wanted memory seats. My wife wanted power tail gate. So the only way to get it was the Touring. I kind of like the front and rear bumpers sensors, but I wish there were 4 in the front. I really did not need the Nav, beacuse I also have a Garmin Nuvi. I had a an 06 Ody with Res and never used it. But now I have 2 grand kids but they are in RI.

I just came back from a trip to Atlanta and avg 25.6 MPG ( 9.2604 Liters per 100KM), with 2 tanks fulls at 28.4 MPG (8.2822 Liters per 100KM). Never got that with the 06 Ody.

Over all I am glad that I got the Tourning. It would have been nice to have blind spot. But not for an extra 3 or 4 thousand more.

By the way how does that blind spot work on the Eite any way?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I flare out my mirrors big time too, so I'm well covered angle wise. However, on a road trip, we closed the sun shades and later we got caught in some dark clouds + rain. The blind spot sensors offered me a little extra lane change comfort in those conditions. I was always checking their range when I was passing cars or being passed. Also changing lanes and then having a car in a blind spot. I have to say they worked very well.

To answer how they work; by the driver and passenger rearview mirror you have a little indicator. If there's something next to your van, or several feet behind it in the next lane the indicator lights up on the corresponding mirror. If you are signaling in a direction and there is something in your blind spot, it blinks forcefully to warn you.

I did note that it works very well with motorcycles too.

About the wide RES, I never used 2 inputs so far, but I use a combination of zoom and wide stretch to cover the majority of the screen. Most movies I have show a large black stripe at the top and bottom, using the zoom you eliminate those to fit the height and you have more real-estate width wise.

·
Registered
687 Posts
By the way how does that blind spot work on the Eite any way?
It's an orange indicator that flashes on each side of the van (at eye level) when there is something in your blind spot. It only flases and does not make any noises, so not to intrusive.

;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone.

I started this thread yesterday and am grateful for all the responses.

I read all the responses here and on similar threads on this site and VTEC.net.

I guess unsurprisingly, the vtec.net crowd got into a bit more detail about the 6-speed than I've seen here.

That ended up sealing the deal for me. We picked up a Polished Metal Touring today in the Bay Area for a decent price.

Hardly any dealers around here have touring models that aren't white or black. Those were the two colors definitely off our list.

Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Another satisified 2011 Honda Odyssey buyer!

:joy:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have owned/leased many luxury cars (Lexus, Mercedes, Land Rover) with HIDS, and I noticed that the HIDs in the Touring elite are the best lights I have ever experienced.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts