Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the last times I posted my toddler scratched our new van with his plasteic mower. He has struck again! This time my hubby was cleaning the car and our son put a few coins in the cd player. Needless to say it is broken and our interior lights do not work. I know it is a long shot, but there always seemed to be some ingenius people on this forum. Can anyone give me any ideas on how to fix the problem (and I am not talking about the toddler!).

Thank you!

·
Registered
147 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by newodyowner:
...our son put a few coins in the cd player. Needless to say it is broken and our interior lights do not work...</font>
The coins probably caused a short circuit and blew a fuse. The owner's manual says that interior passenger side fuse #11 is for the radio and interior lights.. that's probably what's blown.

This could be very good news - if the coins caused the fuse to blow right away, then maybe no mechanical damage was caused. So the fix might be as "simple" as removing the CD player from the dash and shaking the coins out (or, if necessary, partially disassembling it to get the coins out), then re-install the radio and replace fuse #11.

I don't know the procedure for removing the radio; maybe somebody else on the forum does. With most cars, it's easy if you know how, but if you don't know how, it's easy to break a piece of plastic in your dashboard.

Marshall

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Marshall:
So the fix might be as "simple" as removing the CD player from the dash and shaking the coins out
Marshall
</font>
Ouch! I can see my 3-year old doing something like this!

Reading "...shaking the coins out," I visualized instead of removing the CD player, standing the Odyssey on its back end and shaking the whole vehicle! Anyone got a strong winch?

[This message has been edited by Steve P (edited 02-28-2002).]

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Marshall:

I don't know the procedure for removing the radio; maybe somebody else on the forum does. With most cars, it's easy if you know how, but if you don't know how, it's easy to break a piece of plastic in your dashboard.
</font>
Hi newodyowner,
To remove the radio, first step is to remove the center console panel:

http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000229.html

Then a couple of screws and the thing pops out.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend the "shake it" approach, rather I'd try and crack the thing open and "fish out" the coins. People in this forum have acutally had success in doing that. But your mileage (comfort level) may vary.

Another approach is to just go to the dealer and feign ignorance. I know that sounds bad, but likely they'll just replace the unit, no questions asked, and also replace your fuse. I've heard of this kind of thing happening all the time. Remember, you didn't hear this from me...

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Registered
596 Posts
That'll teach ya for being cheap. Just make sure you only give your toddler paper money to play with. It won't short out anything and it won't cause a rattle.:D

I give my grandbabies ones to play with. They think they're rich and it pisses off my kids. They say to me "YOU NEVER JUST GAVE US MONEY FOR NO REASON!". My usual answer is "Wah, wah! These are grandkids, not MY kids.":D

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Steve P said:
...Reading "...shaking the coins out," I visualized instead of removing the CD player, standing the Odyssey on its back end and shaking the whole vehicle! Anyone got a strong winch?
How about these two?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Coins in the CD player

Thought I would relay my experience with coins in the CD player of our 2000 EX.

My wife caught our toddler daughter placing a nickel in the CD slot. She tried unsuccessfully to extract the nickel and it eventually ended up inside. A few weeks later, the radio/interior lights/garage door opener circuit blew a fuse.

After removing the radio/CD unit, I found the nickel .... and a quarter ... and 2 pennys ... and 2 more nickels. Luckily, after extracting the coins and reassembing everything and replacing the fuse, the radio worked.

Removing the radio wasn't too painful. Some good information about the procedure on other threads on this site. Getting the plastic console panel off was difficult. I finally removed it by placing a large allen wrench in the hole for the fog light switch. After a healthy tug, the whole panel popped right off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cassette deck Coin removal

My son did the same to the tape player on our other car. A good solution for that was to use a wooden coffee stir stick with a little piece of gum on the end. I just touched it to the top of the coins and I was able to pull them out. I doubt that would work for a CD player, but keep it in mind when he puts coins in the tape deck (and he will)

·
Registered
6 Posts
COINS in stereo

I thought I was the only one to have a child put coins in the stereo. Our previous generation Ody had 37 coins fished out of the tape player by my wife, with plenty of unreachable ones left behind. (We still have the 1996 ody' with 120,000 miles and no signs of wearing out.) Thank God our children have grown out of this stage, I would hate this to repeat this with our 2002 EXL. By the way, another lifesaver for parents is leather furniture/ car seats. Just wipes clean every time.
Sincerely,
ICURN

1 - 11 of 11 Posts