Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to understand something about towing.

I recently ordered a Draw-Tite hitch which has a 3500# towing capacity (matching OEM specs, so far so good). Draw-tite says the Max Tongue weight is 525#. My owners manual indicates that it should be 10% of trailer weight.

I'd love to be able to put something like this on my Ody
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachments/ducati-motorcycle-chat/16061d1181849650-hitch-mounted-motorcycle-carriers-dsc04508.jpg
(can't get the image to attach to post)

But at 435# for a sportbike, it exceeds the 10%, which would be 350#.
Do I just abandon the idea? I'm thinking lost cause on this.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I'd say it's probably too much weight to hang off the back of the Ody. If your bike weighs in at 435 lbs, and that carrier itself looks like it probably weighs 40-50 lbs, you're actually closer to 500 lbs hanging off the hitch.

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
You'll know right away when you drive the van with too much tongue weight. It will drive terrible...too light in the front and really squirrelly.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You'll know right away when you drive the van with too much tongue weight. It will drive terrible...too light in the front and really squirrelly.
Thank you for your comment, which actually reveals that perhaps I need to provide more information.

I am considering between two carriers at $100 price spread. The more expensive one can carry more weight and I'd rather have it for the flexibility in the bikes I can carry. The less expensive one is what I was looking for to begin with- to carry my son's dirtbike (PW50), which weighs a paltry 87lbs. If I can also carry a full sportbike, then I'll pony up the extra Ben Franklin. But if the vehicle can't handle it, then it's lost money. That's why I'm asking the questions - prepurchase education.

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
If it's only an extra $100 I'd just get the better one, even if you don't carry the really heavy bike. You may use it for something else that you can't even think of right now.

My main concern would be too much weight taken off the front wheels.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
I've accidentally run that type of tongue weight while moving a trailer of soil. How much it really was, I'll never know, because I didn't weigh it.

John is right.

1.) Nose was way up, lot of weight taken off the front axle, which is your driven axle, and steering.
2.) Handling was squirrely. I drove slowly, avoiding as many road imperfections as possible.

That will not work on the Odyssey. Because the weight is cantilevered well behind the rear axle, it is acting like a WDH (weight distributing hitch) in reverse, kind of like an anti-WDH. It's transferring front axle weight to the rear axle, which is the reverse of what you want to do. The Odyssey has a relatively light rear axle gross weight rating.

I've towed a pair of Kawasaki Ninjas on a trailer with zero difficulty, and was able to keep the tongue weights reasonable by managing the fore-aft position of the motorcycle front wheel chock bolted to the trailer deck relative to the trailer axle position.

OF

·
Registered
717 Posts
This should fit the ticket with some minor modification:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts