Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
I continue to be impressed with my 2014 Ody. This 4th gen (14-17) has the good 6-speed transm. If you could find a low mileage example that has been preventatively VCM muzzled, has had the transm fluid changed a few times and a clean carfax that would be a great vehicle to grow old with IMHO.

·
Registered
2020 Odyssey EX-L
124 Posts
I think it's always risky to buy something on the lower end of the price. I would look for previous gen or wait to save up some more money and get a 2020 - if time allows

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Update: I drove a 2018 ex-l today, and i was expecting to be more impressed for the price. I guess it’s a good data point to have. Sales guy was also a dink. Had a couple songs I didn’t want to mess with (they will rust!) so I walked. Wasn’t a good deal anyway, I was just getting my feet wet.

I found some 2016’s local with 40-50k miles in the $22-25k price. I’ll be checking some out this weekend. One is a former Texas car (hopefully no rust!) so we’ll see...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Update: I drove a 2018 ex-l today, and i was expecting to be more impressed for the price. I guess it’s a good data point to have. Sales guy was also a dink. Had a couple songs I didn’t want to mess with (they will rust!) so I walked. Wasn’t a good deal anyway, I was just getting my feet wet.

I found some 2016’s local with 40-50k miles in the $22-25k price. I’ll be checking some out this weekend. One is a former Texas car (hopefully no rust!) so we’ll see...
Texas is a good area. No rust, but excessive sun can cause paint damage. The thing you need to watch for is flood damage. After the hurricane in Houston the insurance companies collected 600,000 cars. So, a real complete (all the pages) carfax is very necessary. The fishy dealers will offer free 1 page carfax, or generic type of car fax. Side collision and rear collision are bad. Some times the dealer can not get the doors to work right again. Buyer beware... car salesmen, real estate sales and lawyers one undependable gang.
I have a gen4 (2011 - 2017), after disabling VCM, great car.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX
57 Posts
New and used car prices are not the best these days due to the high demand and microchip shortage. August last year, I got a good deal on a new 2020 EX for around 30,500 before tax, title and fees.

My advice would be to wait a few months for things to normalize but I know it may take a year or more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nobody mentioned it but the car could have been in water. With the crazy weather nowadays, lots of cars are being flooded.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m in the same boat. The used car market is all but wiped out right now. I’m considering the same as you, a 17ish or 20+ or new. With 0.9 financing, it’s tempting. The difference in payments adds up to about a new engine (or transmission) after a few years and the older one would be out of warranty by then. So the older ones are more of a gamble and could potentially save you a few grand or cost you a few grand over a new one. With this in mind, if the vehicle was for me, I’d take the risk and let someone else take the brunt of depreciation. Since the vehicle is primarily for my wife, and because I have 4 kids (which won’t all fit in a tow truck cab), I’m leaning toward new or last year. The cost all comes out in the wash over a long ownership so your never really going to save money. The peace of mind (for me and my situation) of the fullest warranty is likely worth it.
The margin here is finding a “good deal” in the middle, ie., certified pre owned in good shape with effectively more warranty miles to go than a new one. Then someone else did take the initial depreciation hit and the warranty will last longer than a new one’s would. The van might not last as long as the new one by a year or so but it’s well within the standard deviation of the new one potentially failing.
Good luck.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yeah, but from everything I've seen on this forum, the 2018s are crap. So my thinking is, if you move down to a 2017, you might get a better van for the same price.
I like that idea.

I thought the Carfax was clean? What major damage? Why would a dealer make such a statement unless he knew something he isn't telling you. So what is it?

Oftentimes repaired damage is visible in the paint surface if you look very closely at reflections, the color match, and surface texture. OEM paint almost always has some orange peel. Paint that has been rubbed out after repainting might not have that slight orange peel. Sometimes, "underneath" body parts have been straightened instead of replaced, and they can show irregularities or paint scarring. If a part can be straightened, the insurance company pays for a new part and the dealer keeps the change. If major damage is repaired by a legitimate repair shop under an insurance claim, it should show up on the Carfax. Some repairs are not always made in this way.

Dealers are most always one step ahead of the rest of us. Personally, I would disregard almost anything a dealer might tell me. Maybe the dealer will throw in an aftermarket extended warranty (the longer the term, the better) to make the sale?

Low mileage is expensive and over-rated in a used vehicle. Several hundred thousand miles on a powertrain is to be expected with newer vehicles. Suspensions don't last that long without some repairs. I had a 2000 Odyssey with 250k and the interior was still in good shape and the engine was just fine mechanically. I did need a rebuilt transmission at about 150k. The rest was either maintenance items, or relatively minor repair stuff, like a rear door lock mechanism and a sliding door roller, and a few inexpensive external engine parts. Eventually, every older vehicle will need some type of repair.

You might be better off with a Gen4 (maybe 2014 through 2017) and you will save a few $$'s in the long run. Honda products are often not the product they were in the past. I have a 2016 Gen4 Odyssey that has never been back to a dealer for anything. It has required NO maintenance parts or repairs since it was new.

I have no particular brand loyalty, so I might consider a Toyota Sienna or even a Kia. Sienna's may cost less for repairs in the long run.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I posted this in my other “welcome” thread, but wanted to post it here also.

I just stumbled on a 2018 with 40,000 miles for $25k. I’m going to look at it tomorrow. What do I need to “watch out” for? Anything to give a check over more than just making sure it is what it seems to be? I’ve seen chatter about 9 speed vs 10 speed tranny, VCM, and other 2018 issues. What do I need to look at?

I’ve seen the carfax. No accidents, no airbag deploy, no flood/fire/salvage etc. it’s a former lease vehicle. The salesman Ispoke with said starting in March, fleet vehicles are all now coming out with “major damage” attached to them to cover the parent company’s butts if it shows up with a small ding. Pics look clean as a whistle. It seems believable, but I don’t want to be taken for a sucker either. On the carfax, The “major damage”is listed as “disclosed by seller upon visual inspection”.

I might be buying this tomorrow - steer me right!
I own one. Ask about slider doors motor replacements, and recalls. There have been a handful of recalls.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I continue to be impressed with my 2014 Ody. This 4th gen (14-17) has the good 6-speed transm. If you could find a low mileage example that has been preventatively VCM muzzled, has had the transm fluid changed a few times and a clean carfax that would be a great vehicle to grow old with IMHO.
Yep, my 2014 VCM disabled EXL is about to break 100K and still (knock on wood) going strong! I've had no trans issues even though I have occasionally pulled loaded trailers cross country (but within the 3500lb limit and I've installed an aftermarket tran cooler and done regular tran fluid changes). After reading about newer model quality concerns (and having a 2018 CRV with some issues) - I'm hoping to make my 2014 last for another 7+ years.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I just stumbled on a 2018 with 40,000 miles for $25k. I’m going to look at it tomorrow. What do I need to “watch out” for? Anything to give a check over more than just making sure it is what it seems to be? I’ve seen chatter about 9 speed vs 10 speed tranny, VCM, and other 2018 issues. What do I need to look at?

I’ve seen the carfax. No accidents, no airbag deploy, no flood/fire/salvage etc. it’s a former lease vehicle. The salesman Ispoke with said starting in March, fleet vehicles are all now coming out with “major damage” attached to them to cover the parent company’s butts if it shows up with a small ding. Pics look clean as a whistle. It seems believable, but I don’t want to be taken for a sucker either. On the carfax, The “major damage”is listed as “disclosed by seller upon visual inspection”.

That is the deal I got in 2016 for our certified 2013 EX-L from a reputable Honda dealer ($24,500 with less than 30K miles). The dealer also fixed a couple scratches in the paint and stains inside. It now has 118,000 miles and so far it has been awesome.

PS: If you are concerned about the squat in this pic we had no issues driving over 200 miles through NH mountains. I have since gotten air bags for the rear coils but I haven't tried them out yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Best to do so.

Try to get a 2020+, 2018-2019 had more issues. Later years they worked out the bugs...sort of.
I have a 2020 and there are still issues. No issue so far with the transmission, but just got 4 recalls taken care of. Still having issues with the radio. On going since I got the van.

·
Registered
106 Posts
In 2019 we bought our 2016 EX-L (named Ruby) with 30,000 miles for 25,000. Excellent VCM muzzled vehicle now has 60,000 on it. Lane watch is great on the highway. Wife hates flying so our Ruby gets some long trips.

·
Registered
10 Posts

With "major damage" noted anywhere, and a fleet vehicle, I'm not sure this rig would qualify as a "Honda Certified" used car? These "Honda Certified" used rigs run to more $$ but, as in my case, it is usually worth it. I went through a letter-writing campaign with the BIG Honda guy in the sky, because the dealer balked, but Honda finally came off their own hip to the tune of over $700 to completely replace all the brakes. Won't get into why, but suffice it to say, one day on the interstate my 2010 did one of those St. Vidas dances that almost had us doing some off-road running or at worst a multi-car pileup! BTW, when my 2010 started that mess it had less than 30,000 miles on it, after I had purchased it with just 29,000+! Like you, I wanted to stay at or below $25K and traveled by air to get this thing for less than that for a three-year-old ride. Also, it had 'minor' damage to the driver-side corner of that rear bumper, but again, the Honda warranty, which extended both the bumper-to-bumper and power-train warranties was too good to not buy it! That price, however, was in 2013, so in 2021 for a 2018 others have said the EX-L trim should approach $30K? As always, caveat emptor, but if Honda will do that "Certified Honda" deal, it may still be worth it?? BTW, after the brake replacement I never had the issue resurface in over 60,000+ miles before I gave it up for a 2020!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2020 and there are still issues. No issue so far with the transmission, but just got 4 recalls taken care of. Still having issues with the radio. On going since I got the van.
What recalls? Mine has only had the one, but I did have to have the driver's side sliding door repaired when it stopped working, everything under warranty. Something became disconnected and it required no parts but they did have to remove the door panel to get to it. Also, on any of these "electrical marvels," a.k.a. too complicated to have any idea how to fix them, I went with what the dealer recommended, a comprehensive 10-year warranty, because of that "electrical" complexity! I bought it new because wrenches no longer fit my hand;) I plan to run it as is, without some VCM fix, I just don't run it in Economy mode, and I even let it kill itself at stoplights when it wants to. Like that John Wayne western where Richard Boone says, "anything happens, my mistake, your mistake, nobody's mistake...." it will be on Honda!! ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
2018 touring first on dealers lot. 66000 miles. Better than the 2006 and 2011 I bought new.
So to me the 2018 is not crap.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts