Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have made a mistake by tinting the windows too much. I wanted a local shop to apply a limo tint to the already tinted middle and rear windows because occasionally I'll have some expensive equipment in the back plus I wanted a little more privacy for the rear passengers. The shop selected some XX% tint to add to the existing tint to create the limo tint. As a result however, it's really dark now and looking back while backing up is pretty bad. Looking at the sides to change lanes is hard as well. In the daytime or on cloudy days, it's ok but at night, it sucks. Although the car looks way better with the tint, I don't recommend going as dark as I did. And yes, I know you're not supposed to tint the front windows however the cops in my area are usually ok and don't give you too much of a hard time about it and it helps keep the car much cooler in the summer so the rewards outweigh the fix-it ticket. Attached are some pics of how it looks in case some are interested in doing the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
687 Posts
Don't come knocking if bmwzimmer's Odyssey is rocking!

Kidding...

:D

·
Registered
221 Posts
awesome!

i had a civic hatchback in the day - lol - and limo'd the rear with 20% in the front.

i remember looking back and trying to back out while in a parking structure and could not see anything.

i had to step out of the car and take a peek to see what was around me :)

you'll get used to it.

joel

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been relying on the side mirrors when changing lanes and installed the cheap convexed mirrors (poor mans blind spot detection) which works pretty well. The backup cameras helps alot too although at night, it's not well lit enough.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i did 30% on the back and 15% up front with a 5% strip on the top of windshield. i may have the shop redo the windshield completely with 50%. back is dark during the day. only see silhouettes . at night no issues, even for my wife.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I may have made a mistake by tinting the windows too much. I wanted a local shop to apply a limo tint to the already tinted middle and rear windows because occasionally I'll have some expensive equipment in the back plus I wanted a little more privacy for the rear passengers. The shop selected some XX% tint to add to the existing tint to create the limo tint. As a result however, it's really dark now and looking back while backing up is pretty bad. Looking at the sides to change lanes is hard as well. In the daytime or on cloudy days, it's ok but at night, it sucks. Although the car looks way better with the tint, I don't recommend going as dark as I did. And yes, I know you're not supposed to tint the front windows however the cops in my area are usually ok and don't give you too much of a hard time about it and it helps keep the car much cooler in the summer so the rewards outweigh the fix-it ticket. Attached are some pics of how it looks in case some are interested in doing the same.
I used to tint cars for a living and that looks like 5% on the back (5% of light gets through). That's combined with the factory 20% already on the back. Way too dark for my van. I would be concerned about safety at those levels.

It's possible to remove it, but hard on the backglass (if you have a rear defroster...).

I would put 35% or 50% on the back to get it a little darker and then 20% or 35% on the front glass. In Ontario, Canada, it's illegal to tint anything in front of the driver's door, so the little sight windows would have to stay clear. The factory already puts a 50% sunstripe, which you could put whaterver you wanted up there to black it out.

my 2¢

1 - 8 of 8 Posts