Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is like the 7th weekend in a row since purchasing my Ody that I was outside for 1 1/2 - 2 hours washing the van. The wife has threated to 'take a sledgehammer to the van' if I don't stop drooling over it. Wait til the Zaino arrives! I may be sleeping outside for a few day!

Ok, obsessive compulsive disorder aside; I do have a couple of questions regarding washing:

1. I actually like the rear drums; it sure makes cleaning the wheels quicker & easier. My question is about the front wheels. Exactly how much of the wheel do you guys clean? I mean, I take the mf rag & go in-between teh spoke and back as far as my hand will reach without scraping the top of it against the disk. There's lots of nasty grime in there that is hard to get to unless you've gotten some type of 'release' solvent that all you have to do is wash it off. Anyway, just curious about any techniques you might have.

2. Speaking of disks, mine look awful 'rusted'? They're rather orange with lots of streaks on them. Should they look this bad a month after buying it? Is that natural?

3. Mudguards. These also build up lots of 'white' dirt. Do you generally clean them as well?

4. Got my first door ding (white paint...it actually came completely off w/ a vigorous scrubbing with a MF towel) and wheel damage (wife went through a drive-through ATM and turned too soon picking up yellow from the yellow bar they run along the bottom of the thing..what the heck is that for anyway? Just to annoy people who pull up too close?)

Actually, any pointers on how to clean the van faser or better would be appreciated and if you don't see me posting as much in the coming days its because I'm honestly trying to keep from being too anal about the van (and to keep from driving my wife nuts!)

<table><tr><td>
</td><td width="20" img="http://demo.healthstream.com/content/challenge/images/clear.gif"></td><td><font face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size="1" color="#454545">Marvyn - 2001 SS EX-NAVI (2000 mi)
Mud Flaps * Cargo Tray * Leather Steering Wheel Wrap * Blaupunkt 652 Speakers * Hyper-brand 'Xenon Blue' Headlights * Weathertech Floor Mats * PIAA Xtreme White 7440 Backup Lights
</font></td></tr></table>

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
You too, eh Marvyn? Been there, done that, except in my case, my wife gave up a long time ago.
Even my neighbors don't bother to point at me and laugh any more.

An excellent source of info for those of us that can't stand to drive dirty, french fry encrusted cars, is http://216.147.22.29/forum/index.php3 You can always pick up a new idea or two from that site. Watch out, though. It'll probably cost you a little more money and maybe a bit more time when you find out that your van is dirty in places you didn't know existed.

1. I use an mf towel, a soft wheel brush, and Espree wheel cleaner to clean my wheels much the same as you. Lately I've started using a stick like a paint stirrer, with a couple of notches along each side near the end, to hold an mf towel draped over the end. Give the stick a twist to wrap the towel around it and you have a great wand for reaching all the way to the back of the wheel for cleaning.

Don't forget a coat of Z-1 and Z-2 on the wheels to protect the clearcoat. The wheels are finished just like your paint. Finish up with a coat of No-Touch applied with a sponge directly to the tire for a nice, low sheen, solid black tire and the wheels and tires will stay looking new.

2. A bit of rust on the rotor is normal if the van was parked while the rotors were wet. It comes right off with a couple of applications of the brakes. If it's anything more than that, it might bear looking into.

3. Yes. I use a wheel well brush to do the fender liners and the mudguards.

Gotta go now. I've got a couple of cars to wash.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes.

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 07-30-2001).]

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL!

Check this out Chuck!

http://216.147.22.29/forum/showthread.php3?threadid=2302

I guess there's my next obsession. The comments about the BBQ pit paint & avoiding the part of the rotor where the caliper rubs make sense.

Also the pics of Brad's wheels/rotors are really sharp. Yikes! I'd better start getting that spot on the porch comfy where I'm going to be sleeping alot!

Here's basically the gist of it (if you don't want to hit that URL and dig...)

From Brad:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I paint the hubs, calipers and the rotor edges where the brake pads don't touch the rotor. (That area gets cleaned off by the pads after every application of the brake.) I choose an appropriate color for each area.

I paint the rotor edges with Hi-Heat flat black spray paint. You can buy special hi-temp caliper paint (Plastikote makes one for $6 a can) or you can use BBQ pit paint (available everywhere, Rustoleum is the best) This will not cook off during street driving. I have done this for years.

I prep for painting simply by wire brushing and/or sanding the bulk of the rust off. It really makes a huge difference in the appearance of your wheels/brakes. </font>
[This message has been edited by nyvram (edited 07-30-2001).]

·
Registered
61 Posts
Regardless of what your better halves think, I don't think you guys are obseesive! But I do wonder when do you find time to drive those beautiful Ody's?

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Speaking about obsessive, this is what I used to do to my car BEFORE I was married:
1979 Toyota Corona- I painted the wheelwells
bodycolor and had to scrub it every weekend just because........!
Now on my '91 Civic, it was'nt that obsessive. I had a set of lightspeed springs(powdercoated red) and red calipers.Every carwash I did, I'd scrub all those parts.
My wife thinks I'm nuts but after 12 years, she just ignores my doings.

------------------
-Rob-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)
http://www.fototime.com/inv/46E6936F1F9A447

·
Registered
196 Posts
Originally posted by nyvram:
LOL!

I'd better start getting that spot on the porch comfy where I'm going to be sleeping alot!

Marvyn,

I'm shocked that you haven't considered the ultimate application for this latest achievement from Honda. You have that beautiful shiny new ODY and your going to sleep where? Did you say porch? Why...Do you want to loose your Ody Club membership? Go outside, move those center seats forward, sideways, or out, slip the magic seat into it's "wife threw me out in the cold" position, get out the sleeping bag and have at it. The ODY is as much fun to sleep in as it is to drive.

Happy camping.

Tom

------------------
Tom
2001 SS EX ?

[This message has been edited by tomhan (edited 07-30-2001).]

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL!

..and there you have it. What was I thinking?

<table><tr><td>
</td><td width="20" img="http://demo.healthstream.com/content/challenge/images/clear.gif"></td><td><font face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size="1" color="#454545">Marvyn - 2001 SS EX-NAVI (2000 mi)
Mud Flaps * Cargo Tray * Leather Steering Wheel Wrap * Blaupunkt 652 Speakers * Hyper-brand 'Xenon Blue' Headlights * Weathertech Floor Mats * PIAA Xtreme White 7440 Backup Lights

·
Registered
15 Posts
I thought I was a bit anal about detailing until I read this thread. Who the hell paints brake rotors? Really!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RyDye; check out trickedodyssey's post about removing the facia and trim prior to detailing if you want anal!!!!

<table><tr><td>
</td><td width="20" img="http://demo.healthstream.com/content/challenge/images/clear.gif"></td><td><font face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size="1" color="#454545">Marvyn - 2001 SS EX-NAVI (2600 mi)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts