Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[h=2](Also posted in the 2005-2010 forum)[/h]
I took my 2006 to the Honda dealership to have both front axles replaced. Of course, I have to get the full experience of the service advisor trying to up sell me. He gave me a nice multi page booklet that is full of red warnings and prices along with a very sad look on his face. Oh, he was so sorry for all of the work that would need to be done. On the bright side he did ask if I was intending to keep the car.

Just to keep the suspense going there were recommendations in the booklet for brake flush, power steering flush, tires, alignment, rotation, and balancing all of which were necessary. Pricing is a different matter however.

They also recommended a timing belt replacement. Note that this car has around 138,000 miles but the timing belt was replaced at this very dealership at 85,000 miles. I understand that a timing belt can go 105,000 miles between replacements so they were trying to up sell this timing belt replacement when theoretically I could go another 50K miles on the existing timing belt.

I confronted the service advisor asking him why he did not already know about the 85K timing belt replacement and that it was not time. The excuses arrived in this order:
1. Two different systems, one for invoicing and another for maintenance. In other words, the computer is too blame.
2. These are the recommendations from the tech. In other words the service advisor is innocent.
3. The service advisor finally confesses that they not look up the cars history.

Did I mentioned the timing belt was around $1,100?

I felt like the service advisor thought I was some sort of rube that he could get a get up sell off of.

Will I buy another Honda? I am not sure. Obviously there is no trust relationship with their service department.

Comments?​

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,051 Posts
Try to keep the difference between Honda and a Honda dealer in mind when you're shopping for your next vehicle (whenever that turns out to be). Has your Ody been good for you and your family?

It does sound like this service advisor was trying to take you for a ride on that timing belt service, and that's dirty pool. It's also terribly stupid for business because all they've done is annoyed one of their repeat customers who had no problem at all calling them on it. Embarrassing.

Maybe another Honda dealer should get a chance to earn your business? Is that a reasonable option where you live? There are about 5 Honda dealerships within a 30-minute drive of where I live, so if someone starts to get silly, I have other choices.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts