Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to take out the 3rd row seats to save on weight before i tow a pup to florida from tennessee.

I removed the rubber flap from the anchor of the 3rd row seat and it appears to be a hex key ... a very large hex key.. one that i do not have.

what did you use to remove the back seats?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I believe it is a 12mm inhex (I could be off on the size - I had a quick look on my 2001 - but it sure looks like a 12).

What you want is an inhex socket (sometimes called a hex bit socket).

Here is a picture:

http://www.stahlwille-online.de/index.php?amac=03030002000e&sid=9d918859a784182c614775c9418a4f1b&lid=2&mid=2&shid=&scmd=pdetail&pcid=2616&cid=3559&pid=3726

An allen-wrench/hex-key won't let you torque that bolt back properly, and it would be a chore to loosen that bolt with a hex key unless you find a long-pattern key (or use some sort of cheater extension)...

I have a 12mm SOMEWHERE (I can never find things when I want them) and I'll try and round it up to check the size.

EDIT: Found my tool and verified that (on a 2001) it is a 12mm inhex.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the quick response guys... so it sounds like pep boys is a better bet than lowes.

i will check it out tomorrow and see if I can find a set!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I haven't removed the 3rd seat before so I was curious and went out to my van to have a closer look. (The 12mm inhex bolt kinda got me thinking - uncommon bolts like that seem to beg the question "do you really want your wrench on this special bolt?").

Anyway, are you sure you need to remove that inhex bolt?

Or can you just remove the 2 bolts that attach each of the "rotating/pivoting arms" to the seat and remove the seat directly (leaving the arms attached to the van itself - after they are unbolted from the seat they will freely rotate)?

Am I seeing that correctly?

Might be worth having another look before getting that tool. And, if I'm seeing that right, I would think it best to leave that pivot joint undisturbed unless for some reason you really need to get that bit of hardware out of the van. And even then you should take the seat out first to gain clearance (which is likely needed since those arms are probably rotating about some sort of collar you can't see), allow you to remove the trim covering (and better see what the situation is there where the pivot attaches to the van), etc.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
mem said:
Or can you just remove the 2 bolts that attach each of the "rotating/pivoting arms" to the seat and remove the seat directly (leaving the arms attached to the van itself - after they are unbolted from the seat they will freely rotate)?
This is what I would do too. Total of 4 bolts on the back of the seatback of the 3rd row seat - leaving the pivot mechanism on the van. The bolts are 7/16-20 UNF.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New Dad New Van said:
This is what I would do too. Total of 4 bolts on the back of the seatback of the 3rd row seat - leaving the pivot mechanism on the van. The bolts are 7/16-20 UNF.
Update: This is the easiest method to remove the seat. Bolts are 14MM (In Canada that is)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree, I just remove the (4) 14mm bolts from the seat and slide the seat out using the handle on the seat. Leave the 2 pivot brackets in place, they are out of the way. Then put it on a 2 wheel dolly for temp storage. It weighs 73 lbs! Now I have room for more camping stuff like my 15gal gray water tank. I put my two bicycles inside so room is what I need. I wish I would have done this earlier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts