Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first choice in color is the SS, with GG being #2, but after hearing about some of the paint problems with the SS we told our dealer to take SS off our list. Now I keep wondering if we should have stuck with the SS. Have the paint problems been bad enough to decided against it?

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by odyodyody:
My first choice in color is the SS, with GG being #2, but after hearing about some of the paint problems with the SS we told our dealer to take SS off our list. Now I keep wondering if we should have stuck with the SS. Have the paint problems been bad enough to decided against it? </font>

While there have been a number of folks with the SS paint that have had problems, I think it's safe to say that the majority of us have been very satisfied with the color. My '01 SS LX looks great and I wouldn't consider any other color on my Ody at this point in time.

Bottom line, if you really like the color, I wouldn't worry about it. The likelyhood of getting a bad one doesn't seem to be that great any more and of course, there's no guarantee with any of the colors.

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX
Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, in-dash CD player, Kelton subwoofer, under seat storage tray.

[This message has been edited by Intrepid175 (edited 09-06-2001).]

·
Registered
33 Posts
I did receive a SS two weeks ago and I do have the paint problems. Unfortunately, the lighting was not right at the dealership and I am now fighting with the service manager to see how they're going to fix it. Their first answer was "paint it", but I'm not open to that as it is a brand new car.

My advice, if you really like the SS, then before you take delivery, look at it in direct sunlight as well as have them pull it into the service shop and look at it in artificial light. Ours only shows up in artificial light from certain angles, so make sure you've examined it from a lot of different angles and different lights before you accept it.

We really love the color, but could've done without the problems. Also, look at your spoiler and make sure it isn't cracked!!!

Andy

·
Registered
57 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by daddy2twins+1:
I did receive a SS two weeks ago and I do have the paint problems. Unfortunately, the lighting was not right at the dealership and I am now fighting with the service manager to see how they're going to fix it. Their first answer was "paint it", but I'm not open to that as it is a brand new car.

My advice, if you really like the SS, then before you take delivery, look at it in direct sunlight as well as have them pull it into the service shop and look at it in artificial light. Ours only shows up in artificial light from certain angles, so make sure you've examined it from a lot of different angles and different lights before you accept it.

We really love the color, but could've done without the problems. Also, look at your spoiler and make sure it isn't cracked!!!

Andy
</font>
That is really disturbing news, I had a major paint problem on a GG in July and refused delivery. Against my better judgement I reordered a 2002 (RP). Bad paint is a problem that this board hears about in numbers too great to be anecdotal.

My suggestion is only take delivery on a sunny day and have them rotate your car so you can view all sides in bright sunlight. That coupled with Andy's suggestion to view under artificial light should help.

I REALLY didn't want to hear that these problems were persisting. Frankly it's inexcusable.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Could anybody tell me more specifically about the paint problem with SS?

I put a 500 deposit for a TW EX-L RES in Aug but was told that it won't be available until late Oct. Another dealer called me today saying one SS will be available within 30 days... Shall I jump on it???

·
Registered
329 Posts
Apparently there have been some people who have had what look like swirls or smudges in the paint under the clearcoat. Tomhan was one of the members here with that problem.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Refer to "Major Paint Problem" topic in the problems and concerns forum. Honda is replacing my 01 with an 02. It wasn't easy to get accomplished though.

------------------
Tom
2002 MB EX-L Soon!

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have a SS 2002 EX on order supposedly coming in this month (although my dealer hasn't provided me with a VIN or build date like some of the other members here).

That is the color we really want. You can be sure that I will be thoroughly checking out the paint job. I have even told my employer that I will be taking a day off this month to pick up my new van. I want to make sure that I'm going to have enough time to cover all the points in shaganasty's checklist before I leave the dealer.

·
Registered
143 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tomhan:
Refer to "Major Paint Problem" topic in the problems and concerns forum. Honda is replacing my 01 with an 02. It wasn't easy to get accomplished though.

</font>
Thank you, Tom. I finally got a chance to find that thread and read through all the posts on that topic. I respect you for how you managed to stay calm dealing with it. Big accomplishment!! Now "silver" finally turns into "gold"!!

Though I prefer white exterior to silver, I like quartz interior more than fern. It's a tough call for me with Honda's white/fern and silver/quartz combinations... However, getting a silver Ody at least one month earlier than a white one is indeed very attractive... but, the possible silver paint problem? I'll need to take a truck load of good friends to the dealer to inspect every detail of the paint work on delivery day...

·
Registered
33 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Though I prefer white exterior to silver, I like quartz interior more than fern. It's a tough call for me with Honda's white/fern and silver/quartz combinations... However, getting a silver Ody at least one month earlier than a white one is indeed very attractive...</font>
You took the words right out of my mouth. I felt the *exact* same way, and made the decision to go ahead and get the silver the other day (and did).

Truth is, I'd still kinda like White or Red, but:

(a) I didn't want to pay the premium over sticker (I got the silver for MSRP), and

(b) are you going to sit and *look* at your car or are you going to *drive* it?

To me, I spend quite a bit of time *inside* the car, sometimes on long trips. What are you more comfortable with? Personally, the Fern interior kinda made me wretch, though I'm sure I could have gotten used to it. But when I'm *driving* the car, I don't really see or care what color it is on the outside.

So IMO, unless its a color you *hate* (for me, that's Mesa Beige), then its not something I would fret a lot over. You'll love your car, assuming its a good one, pretty much regardless of its color.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Don't you think it is kind of ridiculous to say the outside colour doesn't matter because you spend more time on the inside?!

If you are not happy with the colour it will affect you every time you walk up to your vehicle. You will be robbing yourself of a sense of pride or satisfaction every time you see your van across the parking lot, or shining in your driveway.

On the upside, If you really feel that way then there would really be no purpose washing or waxing the exterior - think of the time you will save!

For me the ONLY difficult choice throughout the whole process has been picking the colour.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Originally posted by PD55:
Don't you think it is kind of ridiculous to say the outside colour doesn't matter because you spend more time on the inside?!

I don't think it's ridiculous at all. The Ody is plain at best and downright just plain ugly in my eyes. Yes, there are few colors I wouldn't have bought had they been available, "optic yellow" to name one.

I don't think "robbing yourself of a sense of pride" will be an issue for me.

My satisfaction will come from reliability and function, first and foremost and then overall value. If it fails me on reliability (1-2 trips to the dealer in a year for problems would stretch my limits) it will be sold fast. That's where the value part comes in, someone will pay top dollar to drive a used Ody.

·
Registered
33 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bluesramsrock:
Originally posted by PD55:

I don't think it's ridiculous at all. The Ody is plain at best and downright just plain ugly in my eyes. Yes, there are few colors I wouldn't have bought had they been available, "optic yellow" to name one.

I don't think "robbing yourself of a sense of pride" will be an issue for me.

My satisfaction will come from reliability and function, first and foremost and then overall value. If it fails me on reliability (1-2 trips to the dealer in a year for problems would stretch my limits) it will be sold fast. That's where the value part comes in, someone will pay top dollar to drive a used Ody.
I think the truth is that a minivan--even an Ody (I disagree with you when you say its ugl. But it sure isn't a sports car either!)--does much to bolster the ego.

The truth is, I dropped my "sense of pride" the moment I seriously thought about getting out of my luxury sedan and instead driving a minivan!

Its all about what you prioritize and in what order. For me its functionality--almost exlusively. The Ody does that, no matter what color it is.

That said, I would have skipped and waited if the option was to get a Mesa Beige--which I really don't like. But there isn't a single color in the Ody lineup that I simply "have to have"--none of them *really* turn my crank.

I just don't get all that excited by how the Ody looks in any color. I do get excited at the knowledge that I can carry all the cargo & kids I need, when I need to, and its a good handling, comfortable ride. Perhaps most importantly, if Honda remains consistent, I won't have to spend a lot of time leaving it at the shop either. Those are the things that are important to me.

For me at least, a car--any car--is no longer an extension of my penis size. I grew up (thank goodness). I have a 45 year old brother who still has to buy Porsches every few years. Poor guy. ;-)

·
Registered
196 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ody2002:
Thank you, Tom. I finally got a chance to find that thread and read through all the posts on that topic. I respect you for how you managed to stay calm dealing with it. Big accomplishment!! Now "silver" finally turns into "gold"!!

Though I prefer white exterior to silver, I like quartz interior more than fern. It's a tough call for me with Honda's white/fern and silver/quartz combinations... However, getting a silver Ody at least one month earlier than a white one is indeed very attractive... but, the possible silver paint problem? I'll need to take a truck load of good friends to the dealer to inspect every detail of the paint work on delivery day...
</font>
ody2002,

As depressing as it is to read I'm glad the topic helped you out a little. Any mfg. can make a bad car. There have been other posts hinting to the fact that all mfgs. are experiencing paint problems (metallic paints) because of the new EPA regulations. Personally, I've seen a lot of bad looking paint finishes out there lately from almost all makers.

I agree with you on the white. Hate the fern interior. White/w quartz interior is such a natural combination. I don't understand why honda doesn't offer it yet.

Good luck with your choice.

------------------
Tom
2002 MB EX-L Soon!

·
Registered
273 Posts
I also have a SS EX Ody - L on order as a trade for my gray '99 EX. I wanted white but also did not like the green interior much. You folks have certainly made me more aware of looking at the paint in the sun light. Thanks ! Mine is due mid Oct.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think that everyone has a valid point regarding color, and shape as beauty IS in the eye of the beholder.
I have a 1999 ML320-Silver and and HATE the car... so UNRELIABLE... I've been back to the dealer about 6-7 times in 27 months... the car has had over $4K in warranty repairs... the only thing good about it is the AWD traction for off-road, which I rarely use.
I bought a 2001 Ody-SS for my mom back in May and we all LOVE the car. I for one think that the shape is the nicest in minivan territory...very "muscular, yet clean". I'm not crazy about any Silver color, but it's a nice, neutral, and stealth color (for me it's much better to cruise at high speeds not noticed in your Ody than to crawl at lower speeds in a bright colored sports car). I only care about how safely and quickly a car can transport me...driving a "cool looking slow car is torture, while driving a stealth fast car is heaven". My only complaint with the Ody is the fuel tank noise... I think that for a 3rd year production, they should have fixed it by now. Any other common Ody problems are correctable, and for me, not very serious. I can fix the lousy stereo myself...since I'm not happy with any factory stereo anyway :=)
Regards, Kyle.

------------------

·
Registered
143 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Canodyssey:
Torn between two colors
Feelin' like a fool
Loving both of them
Is breaking all the rules....
</font>
Ha, ha, ha... Thanks, Canodyssey.

Well, RWhittle this time it's you who took the words right out of my mouth-- "I just don't get all that excited by how the Ody looks in any color. I do get excited at the knowledge that I can carry all the cargo & kids I need, when I need to, and its a good handling, comfortable ride."

However, I don't think PD55 meant to choose the word "pride"... One may care more about exterior color while someone cares more about interior color. There's nothing wrong with either one... Who's the only one be to blame? It's Honda! If Honda had provided us with more color choices/combinations then there shouldn't be such debate.

Well, anyway, it's a van...

Considering silver being one of my acceptable colors (plus, color white won't turn it into an MDX or an X5), and considering quartz looking much, much better than fern (at least for me), I decided to accept the ss/quartz ody from another dealer. Oh, and the most important of all, the ss/quartz ody will be built as soon as tomorrow (9/9 ~ 9/13) but the build date of my previous white/fern order is still UNKNOWN (that means it WON'T be built in Sep. and I should feel LUCKY if it would be built in Oct.)!!

Thank you, my friends. I surely will take a very close look to the paint upon delivery!!

PS. RWhittle, I don't think you grew up regarding the "extension" thing-- Otherwise, why would you buy a large ody instead of a small Porsche?

[This message has been edited by ody2002 (edited 09-09-2001).]

·
Registered
33 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Razorback:
RWhittle, I know this is off topic, but are you the the same guru I see on the Thinkpad list?

:)
</font>
Yes. I'm surprised you notice--I haven't posted much on the ThinkPad list for a number of months (too busy). :)

Thanks for noticing. ;-)

- Randy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts