1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
215 Posts
My belief is most of these are gimmicks. If all those benefits could be had with a simple add-on, I don't think you could beat the OEMs away, it would already be on your vehicle. Why would they want to spend hundreds of millions on R&D to get the benefits when all they'd have to do is purchase these gadgets. Of course, you will also find testimonials that say they work.

Speaking of testimonials-there is also a thing on the FTC web page about a product-it may have been an air filter or the like that had an add with a testimonial about a great improvement after the product was installed, but the ad forgot to mention that other things were done at the same time,such as a tune-up.
Here it is: "After installing your product on my car, I got an extra 4 miles [6.4 kilometers] per gallon [3.8 liters]."
Many ads feature glowing testimonials by satisfied customers. Yet, few consumers have the ability or the equipment to test for precise changes in gas mileage after installing a gas-saving product. Many variables affect fuel consumption, including traffic, road and weather conditions, and the car's condition.

For example, one consumer sent a letter to a company praising its "gas-saving" product. At the time the product was installed, however, the consumer also had received a complete engine tune-up - a fact not mentioned in the letter. The entire increase in gas mileage attributed to the "gas-saving" product may well have been the result of the tune-up alone. But from the ad, other consumers could not have known that.

There is too much to be posted here-but here is the link.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/gasave.htm

Regards
Al

[This message has been edited by albaby (edited 11-01-2001).]

·
Registered
564 Posts
Way back when I had my first car and was more gullible than jaded, I tried every fuel-saving device imaginable. At some point, I added up all the fuel savings I was supposed to realize, and if everything worked as it should, my 1966 Volvo should have gotten about 100 mpg. Suffice it to say that if anything, I was seeing worse mileage after the oil additives, the fuel additives, the platinum injection, the air effects, the fuel magnets, the air-box treatment, the air filters, etc...

Car mfg's want nothing more than to boast about great mileage numbers these days. If a simple device would help substantially, I'm pretty sure they'd buy it and incorporate it. Save your money...

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX (ULEV)- currently the BIG car.
1997 EV1 (ZEV) in process - "This is NOT your father's golf cart"

[This message has been edited by darelldd (edited 11-01-2001).]

·
Registered
207 Posts
I would be extremely hesitant to use any of the aftermarket additives. In the (albeit unlikely) event they cause any harm, the repairs related to their use might not be covered under an applicable warranty.

·
Registered
596 Posts
How do y'all spell "snake oil"? The Tornado device claims to increase turbulence in the intake stream, which would probably be a good thing, if it were to happen. The flaw I see in their "sell" is that the turbulent air would no longer be "turbulent" by the time it reaches the point where the fuel is added because after it is stirred up, it must pass the throttle blade and would, in my view, return to its former straight flow. If the device was installed downstream of the throttle body, it might do some good, but, I seriously doubt anywhere near the claimed amounts. Stuff like this has long been a part if the American Dream, but, as has been stated, the manufacturers would jump at something which would yield such improvements, what with the pressure on them to meet the CAFE standards.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
342 Posts
This sounds like another "fuel saving" device I recently read a report on. The "Fitch Fuel Catalyst". This wonderful device is sold as a bullet shaped canister that you drop into your fuel tank. They recommend upwards to six units for a 25 gallon tank. They sell two for $49.95!!

This thing is supposed to catalyze the fuel and "release" the fuels potential by breaking down the heavier hydorcarbon components into the lighter, more combustible, hydrocarbon components.

We receive a publication, Motorcycle Consumer News (MCN) that did a product report on this thing and they found no evidence (surprise, surprise) that it had any effect at all. In fact, the manufacturer stated that the catalyst needed to stay in the fuel tank for 24 hours for maximum effect. When they were asked about the fact that a motorcycle on a long ride will be refueling every 3 hours or so they said, "No problem, it will still work."

It never ceases to amaze me how gullible we can be about product like this. There simply is no free lunch and if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is.

Bottom line, if you absolutely "have" to have better gas mileage, take your foot out of the radiator!!

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX
Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, transmission cooler, in-dash CD player, Kelton subwoofer, under seat storage tray.

·
Registered
251 Posts
It is a gimmick. You'll be just wasting your hard earned $$$.

There are, however, other ways to increase your fuel economy without doing much. Airintake, freer flowing exhaust, headers, etc... Anything that frees up the flow of air in or out will help fuel economy, not to mention more power too.
The reason they don't come on a factory vehicle is because simply of noise/sound depending how you look at it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I disagree. They have manged to greatly decrease noise from jet engines. I'm sure if they could find a way to do it with air filters if it was cost effective. Most of the noise is caused not by the filter itself but by the fact that the piping is modified on many of these installations. The noise is there to give the effect of power etc.

As far as increasing turbulence etc, isn't one of K&Ns boasts is that their filters decrease turbulence? How are either the decrease or increase effected by the turbulence air will see when it passes thru the intake manifold and valves?

Al

·
Registered
301 Posts
It baffles me that some people think that a small fly-by-night company has discovered a formally unknown secret to gas mileage that a large automobile manufacturer that has spent billions of dollars and 40 years researching engine efficiency has not. Manufacturers especially import manufacturers strive constantly to give there cars the best fuel efficiency/horsepower balance both to meet regulatory requirements and as a selling point.
Along comes "Scitech Enterprises" from PO box 13 Cactus Spit, Arizona with a revolutionary product...

But hey they sold alot of pet rocks as I recall....

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Canodyssey:
But hey they sold alot of pet rocks as I recall....
</font>
I'm looking for some aftermarket add-ons to make pet rocks better.

Apparently there is a treatment that will make pet rocks last several times as long but it was surpressed by the big manufacturers of pet rocks because it could cut into their sales.

I myself have produced some video tapes for pet rocks to watch. The experience makes them friendlier.

We need another government agency to look into this conspiracy against consumers.

<center>
</center>

Regards,

------------------
Maugham

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EXL
'85 Prelude
'01 Ninja folding aluminum scooter
'00 New Balance Model 658 Shoes w/ Green Grass stains and '01 White Laces w/ Frayed Tips

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'm lookin' for some improved muffler bearings........ I thought Scitech was located in Escaping Gas, Idaho. I guess I gotta stop drinking benzene.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jerry O:
I'm lookin' for some improved muffler bearings........ I thought Scitech was located in Escaping Gas, Idaho. I guess I gotta stop drinking benzene.</font>
I've been very happy with my investment in bottled aged Japanese taxi-tire air for my tires. The air is guaranteed to have been harvested from the tires of cabs in Tokyo at least five years ago, then aged in titanium tanks (to improve road handling).

It's expensive, but cornering and stopping are greatly improved and I'm sure my gas mileage is better.

Regards,

------------------
Maugham

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EXL
'85 Prelude
'01 Ninja folding aluminum scooter
'00 New Balance Model 658 Shoes w/ Green Grass stains and '01 White Laces w/ Frayed Tips

·
Registered
215 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Maugham:
I'm looking for some aftermarket add-ons to make pet rocks better.

Apparently there is a treatment that will make pet rocks last several times as long but it was surpressed by the big manufacturers of pet rocks because it could cut into their sales.

I myself have produced some video tapes for pet rocks to watch. The experience makes them friendlier.

We need another government agency to look into this conspiracy against consumers.

<center>
</center>

Regards,

</font>
I wholeheartedly agree. I tried to form a company to make life preservers for pet rocks but could not get financing undoubtley due to the influence of the pet rock manufacturers lobby. My powers of astute observation and deduction, plus studies by numerous government agencys led me to the conclusion that most rocks could not float and needed-even desired-my product, yet my financing was denied. Who knows of the countless number of rocks that lay on the bottom of pools, rivers, lakes because of this.
Now maybe if I would have said it was developed (by)(for) NASA for use in the space program?

Regards

·
Registered
478 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ptoeknee:
I recently saw a "paid commercial" for the Tornado Fuel Saver. It is suppose to increase horsepower, fuel efficiency and save money. Has anybody installed / experiences, or is this another gimmic like Duralube and Slick 50?

(here is the link for Duralube and the FTC Charges against Duralube
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1999/9905/duralub2.htm

and another
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1997/9712/petapp62.97.htm
</font>
Unfortunately, the Tornado Fuel Saver has proven to be ineffective to say the least.
However,the Tornado Dollar Waster is a big success!

------------------
'02 RRP EX NAV
Mudguards,cargo tray,Weathertech mats, Bug deflector, lampguards, gold emblems,
17" TSW Spirit wheels with 235/55 Dunlop Sport A2 tires
More stuff on the way...
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Consumer Reports tested this thing a while back in 2 different types of cars, and in one the gas mileage actually got worse!! It's a gimmicky POS.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts