Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2000 ODY, the transmission/torque converter exhibits a metallic clanging at approx 50mph. The dealer said it is normal but I have heard that some owners have replaced their transmissions to fix it. Anyone else experience this and what was the remedy?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
128 Posts
What we're talking about here is the "dieseling" noise or rattle that occurs accelerating slightly under load just after the van has shifted into 4th at around 45-50 MPH and between 1-2 RPM.

It has been thoroughly discussed at Edmunds and there is really no fix that I've heard of except that Honda is "working on it". I kept copies of that topic but it would be too long to post here. E-mail me and I'll send you a copy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I would appreciate if you could e-mail me the info (your e-mail is not in your profile). My e-mail is [email protected]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sfearing:
What we're talking about here is the "dieseling" noise or rattle that occurs accelerating slightly under load just after the van has shifted into 4th at around 45-50 MPH and between 1-2 RPM.

It has been thoroughly discussed at Edmunds and there is really no fix that I've heard of except that Honda is "working on it". I kept copies of that topic but it would be too long to post here. E-mail me and I'll send you a copy.
</font>

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
It has been thoroughly discussed at Edmunds and there is really no fix that I've heard of except that Honda is "working on it". I kept copies of that topic but it would be too long to post here. E-mail me and I'll send you a copy.</font>
Send it to [email protected] if you'd like to have it put on a page we all could access.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX
Cargo Tray ... woohoo!

[This message has been edited by Jim F (edited 02-16-2001).]

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Thanks, sfearing, for the posts on the torque converter fix. There's a new page available.

Tranny.html

As always, let me know if there's anything broken or need to be changed.

------------------
Admin

·
Registered
126 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Admin:
Thanks, sfearing, for the posts on the torque converter fix. There's a new page available.

Tranny.html

As always, let me know if there's anything broken or need to be changed.

</font>
Where else do you have these special pages listed other than from me happening to run into this in this thread? Thanks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I know this is not the exact thread for this subject but it is close enough and I didn't want to start a new thread.

Here is a post from "odyfan" from Edmunds regarding the dreaded transmission clunk. A search did not show him as a member here under that handle. Haven't seen this problem in this forum probably because most members here have newer Odys where this may have been fixed.

<<#579 of 583 Honda Transmission by odyfan Mar 23, 2001 (07:44 pm)
After some researching, I believe that I've found the cause of the reverse engagement noise from D4. It's coming from the "counter-shaft reverse selector" smashing the counter-shaft reverse gear while trying to engage into it from counter-shaft 4th gear. The reason for noise to occur only from D4 is "reverse selector" being moved only when direction is changed. This also explains why Honda advice when towing an Ody with the front wheel on ground, the van needs to be shifted to D4 first, then into N. Otherwise, reverse gear would be engaged insteads of the 4th gear by reverse selector. I've noticed that neither counter-shaft reverse gear nor counter-shaft 4th gear have synchros to ease the engagements. Due to this particular "BAD??" design, therefore, slight movement of countershaft while shifting from D to R or R to D will cause extreme loud engagement noises and will do major damage to both set of gear.
Also, the infamous "Bang in Reverse" is caused by - guess what? - "reverse selector" not fully engaging the counter-shaft reverse gear. The TSB# is A00-065, issued by Honda on 8/22/2000.
Well, I think I have done enough analysis on the Honda automatic transmission. My wife is really upset because she think I spent too much time with the Ody!

BTW, my next car will be from Honda, and it will have a manual transmission!

Happy driving! >>

[This message has been edited by exindenver (edited 03-24-2001).]

[This message has been edited by exindenver (edited 03-24-2001).]

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by exindenver:
Where else do you have these special pages listed other than from me happening to run into this in this thread? Thanks.</font>
Sorry EX, that was thrown together real quick for someone and might be cleaned up and added under "Tech" sometime soon.

------------------
Admin

·
Registered
15 Posts
On a related note, I was talking to a Honda tech a while back while my 95 Odyssey was having some work done for an oil seal recall. He gave me a tip that if I were ever stuck, I should not attempt to "rock" it free. He said that the way the Honda automatic trans is designed, this would damage the transmission. They had one in the shop (I don't know what year) at that moment that was getting a new transmission because the driver attempted to rock it free after sliding off a snowy highway. The transmission in my Odyssey seems perfect at 103K, but I will be babying it from now on!

·
Registered
11 Posts

</font>
Wow, I thought I was insane. My Ody is at the dealer as I write this so they can fix this problem for me. Took a few minutes of driving to get the service mgr to hear it. I can reproduce this at will at 52mph and about 1400 rpm. Dieseling is exactly the right word

I'll have to check Edmunds for an update I guess.

[This message has been edited by rhoatson (edited 07-24-2001).]

·
Registered
139 Posts
rhoatson
Let us know if your dealer was able to fix the problem. I took my 01 in for it's 7500 mile service the other day and complained of the same noise at ~50mph. My dealer didn't have a clue!

·
Registered
11 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dlh2:
rhoatson
Let us know if your dealer was able to fix the problem. I took my 01 in for it's 7500 mile service the other day and complained of the same noise at ~50mph. My dealer didn't have a clue!
</font>
No fix. I was told it's normal behavior for this vehicle. I've never driven another Ody so I can't say otherwise. It's annoying enough to make me want to sell the van.

See my other post, service said the same thing about everything else I complained about.

They offered to charge me $79 for a 4 wheel balance and charged me $23 for a scheduled oil change.

[This message has been edited by rhoatson (edited 07-24-2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Sometime in the last 10 months, there was a good post on this transmission issue in the Edmunds Odyssey or Odyssey problems forum (now archived I think).

Someone had apparently been a guinea pig of sorts for Honda to try to develop a fix for the problem. If I recall, it mostly involved putting some type of weights on the shift cable assembly. The author claimed it reduced his noise, but didn't completely eliminate it. I which I had linked it. If anyone can find it, or has it bookmarked, please post it! Or, if the author is reading, please give us an update! Thanks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Here's part of that thread on Edmunds:

#251 of 251: 50-60 mph tranny noise (b12b8j6) Fri 22 Sep '00 (03:47 PM)

The results ggm got are encouraging to hear. Here's why:

I wrote Honda back in the Spring, complaining about the noise and insisting something be done. They called me and said it was "normal" (of course) and there was no defect or anything of long-term consequence.

The same Honda rep. called again a month ago with the happy news about a modified torque converter their engineers had developed that should take care of the noise. She said they were still testing it and would notify me when it was ready for release.

I got a third call early this week (same person). She made arrangements for my van to undergo some "testing" at the dealer and said "parts" might be installed to fix the noise. I asked about the new t/c and she said that was not in the picture at the moment. I dropped it off Tuesday and asked for more detail. The service mgr. said the testing involved....you guessed it....the shift cable! He said mine was one of 9 vans in the country being used as guinea pigs. He also told me not to get my hopes up.

Today is Friday and they still have the van. I spoke with the service mgr. this afternoon and he said they installed an "auxiliary counterweight" on the shift cable, but at that point he hadn't had a chance to test-drive it. They are keeping it until next week, awaiting parts for other problems I'm having (squeaky vent motors, multiplex controller, etc.)

Honestly, I'd rather have the root cause (too early t/c lock-up -- IMO) fixed than the byproduct. But if the noise is eliminated, I'll be happier with this thing than I am now.

I'll keep you posted.

#303 of 306: 50-60mph noise...fix results! (b12b8j6) Wed 27 Sep '00 (04:43 PM)

I finally picked up my Odyssey this evening after a week at the dealer. As you may have read in my earlier post, Honda had developed a band-aid for that irritating drive line noise and was trying it out on my van and eight others, so they said. It consists of some sort of auxiliary counterweight attached to the shift cable. According to the service mgr., there's already a weight there, they just added another one.

Based on my impressions after the 45-minute drive home under conditions that bring out the worst of it (55 mph speed limit; gently rolling hills), I consider the noise to be *substantially reduced*. I can tell it is still there, perhaps because I have been so aware of it. Think of it this way: It's as if they layered a bunch of sound-deadening material on the floorpan....the sound is still there, but muted. Another description might be that they eliminated the higher frequencies of the noise, but the low end sound remains. Sorry, this is tough to do with words!

The big question is, is the noise reduced enough to remove the irritation it produces. This is pretty subjective, but I'll give Honda's effort one and a half thumbs up. Make that one thumb up and the other pointing sideways (easier for those with arthritis).

Honda (the regional office rep.) said they would calling me to see what I think of their little counterweight. And I'm sure they'll be calling the eight other guinea pigs as well. If we all like it enough, I guess they will put out some sort of TSB and everyone else with "the noise" will be able to get "the fix." I'm certainly not speaking for Honda, it's just what I presume will happen.

Here's hoping this comes to pass and may those of you suffering from this little irritation soon enjoy relative peace and quiet from your Ody's drive train :)

#306 of 306: RE: 50-60mph noise...fix results! (dollarhide) Wed 27 Sep '00 (08:53 PM)

That's good news sorta. Well at least Honda is definitely aware of the problem and not just giving us one of those excuses like it's normal for the van to do that.

IMO, I think all Odysseys exhibit this
problem/defect. It's just that only some owners have noticed it. Out of all the Odyssey's sold, how many of those owners visit the edmunds site? When driving a minivan most people are overwhelmed with noise from other sources like kids, the radio, conversation, and road noise. Plus most drivers don't drive 50-60mph for a long duration. They just accelerate past it on their way up to 75mph like me. When doing that you'll never hear the noise. Actually, I'm starting to ignore it anyway and sometimes hardly notice it at all. As long as it's just a noise and nothing mechanical I'm happy. Plus, a 7/100/0 warranty will cover it if it breaks.

b12b8j6 - Thanks again for all the info and volunteering your van.

#311 of 312: dollarhide (auburn63) Thu 28 Sep '00 (04:59 PM)

So far we have not recieved any complaints on the noise only paperwork from Honda. So far no official bulletins or repair procedures sent to us but if I get one with the noise I would be willing to bet that our tech line in California would know the fix/attempted fix.So I couldn't say they all have it but I do know it exists.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Oh no! Sfearing has done it now! Posted info from a competing site!!

Sfearing, those posts are (c) Edmunds. I hear their lawyers are on their way to your house right now along with a 7 foot dude named Luigi to discuss this matter further with you.

------------------
Marvyn

2001 SS EX-NAVI (2000 mi)
Mud Flaps * Cargo Tray * Leather Steering Wheel Wrap * Blaupunkt 652 Speakers * Hyper-brand 'super bright' Headlights * Weathertech Floor Mats * PIAA Xtreme White 7440 Backup Lights

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Thanks sfearing! That's the exact post I remember. Anyone know the original poster's email? It would be interesting to get a copy of his service receipt so others can bring it to their dealer to get the appropriate repair.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts