Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help: I have a 1998 LX with 109K miles. It is mainly wife's car so I don't drive it much. I took it on a 80 miles trip the other day and noticed that the torque converter does not lock up, even on long stretches of the highway.

I thought the thermostat was cheap and wanted to change it. Found out it's a real pain in the butt to get to so I left it alone. The thermostat seems not to be stuck open as the lower hose stays cool. I changed the ATF less than 15K miles ago. Any other ideas? How else could I diagnose the problem?

We live in the NE and it's been very cold. Perhaps that's the culprit?

Thanks as always. This has been the nicest forum, almost as nice as the Miata.net, which I also lurk in.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Seems to be a common problem. Just another post was about fuel milage and suspected it being the converter not locking up.

Mine was doing the same and I changed my thermostat, as the lock will not function if not in optimal running temperature.

Didn't seem that hard to change on mine as we both have 98's the thermostat is right under the air intake pipe, remove that and its right there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got around to it tonight. Changed from stock to 180degree thermostat. Now it works perfectly. I have to say it was not so easy for me. But it was worth it! No more slipping feeling.

Thanks very much.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts