Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried installing Torsen limited slip differential on an 2018+ Odyssey w/ 10 speed transmission? While I love the 10 speed tranny most of the time, the high torque multiplication in 1st gear make it very easy to spin the inside tire when starting from stop at any sharp Right turns. Also would help traction on light snow (I could smell the brake from the van applying the brake on the spinning wheel in the snow, with the van in the "snow" mode).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you still on factory tires? Getting better / wider tires may be a cheaper way to get better traction.
I'd like to stick with the OEM tires for another year or two, as I still have ~90% tread on the tires. While I agree higher performance tires would help, but with such a low 1st gear (great for straight line acceleration from stop), limited slip would help a great deal more, especially in poor weather...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Stanimal, are you in ECON mode? I found that after the transmission "learned" how I drive, I leave it in ECON mode all the time and never have spin problems. The car has lots of pep, although when cold it's less responsive at times. (2018 EX, factory tires)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stanimal, are you in ECON mode? I found that after the transmission "learned" how I drive, I leave it in ECON mode all the time and never have spin problems. The car has lots of pep, although when cold it's less responsive at times. (2018 EX, factory tires)
Typically, I use NORMAL mode during city driving, as the slow throttle tip-in make driving in stop and go traffic annoying. I only use ECON mode while driving in light traffic on Freeways...
I'm aware what I'm asking is kind'a extreme for a family hauler, but Torsen limited slip would make it far easier to put power down on a vehicle with good engine with a super low 1st gear. and would also make the Odyssey more sure footed in poor road conditions...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Typically, I use NORMAL mode during city driving, as the slow throttle tip-in make driving in stop and go traffic annoying. I only use ECON mode while driving in light traffic on Freeways...
I'm aware what I'm asking is kind'a extreme for a family hauler, but Torsen limited slip would make it far easier to put power down on a vehicle with good engine with a super low 1st gear. and would also make the Odyssey more sure footed in poor road conditions...
You're probably right but I assume you're looking at major money to change things over. And then there's the warranty thing.

·
Registered
399 Posts
What is wrong with putting it in Snow mode and driving along?
If you are spinning a tire from a standstill while making turns, you should adjust your driving pattern; learn to adjust your driving to the conditions of the road. I do not want to coin you as an armature, but I think I understand the enthusiasm.

Unfortunately, not much is known of the differential in the 10spd, but additional reading material are below

1 - 8 of 8 Posts