Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, yesterday I'm going through an intersection in my 2009 odyssey and a lady who blacked out ran into my passenger side. It was fairly low speed, I'm guessing 15-20 mph. Side air bag deployed, but car still drives fine. Can the two doors be replaced or is the car totaled? Its going to be a few days till insurance stuff gets sorted, and I'm just assuming it's probably totaled.
Any info or opinions will be greatly appreciated, thanks!!
20201118_083204.jpg

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sorry about the news, but glad you're okay.

I heard from somewhere that once airbags go highly likely the vehicle will be totaled.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,706 Posts
Totalled.

Since the entire side curtain bags blew and its a 2009, the value of the Ody v/s the repair will drive the decision. The insurance folks will only pay for repairs if they're less than 75 or 85% of the value of the vehicle. If the Ody was fairly new with a high market value, they'd pay for the bags and belts work. In OP's case, a 2009 does not have that much value any more.

Both door alone (without the bags deployment) would still tip over to the total loss territory. So, with the bags, I am certain this is a total loss.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
First, see what the estimate is. Ask about using used doors that already match your color. Talk to the body shop, and mention you don't need the car to be perfect in terms of bodywork.

If it is totaled:

1. Assume the first offer from the insurance company is a low ball offer, and you should be able to get at least 10% to 15% more. But you have to ask!

2. Collect all recent work receipts.

3. Make sure they include sales tax for the replacement car.

4. If you don't need a rental car, ask to be reimbursed for the rental allowance. Remember, they have to include transportation for you to look for a replacement vehicle.

5. If nobody has been injured, this is a cheap for the insurance company, and they should want to keep you a happy camper.

6. If it is drivable, you can buy it back from the insurance company.

7. Start looking for replacement vehicles now, especially cars equivalent to yours, so you'll have an idea whether the insurance company is playing games with you.

Finally, I've been there, and I've done all that.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Totaled. Like @marvinstockman was stating you can go with option 6, fix the car urself and get it retitle as rebuilt. But in my opinion get the best offer that they can give u and get a replacement ody. Driving a car without airbags is a bit risky. I know people do it and I grew up without it....but safety comes first specially if I'm going to be driving the family around in it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Buy it back and start looking around for the 2 doors, bet $500 from the pick a part place and then installation.
Hoping you get a good deal from the insurance company.
Also, don't give them to much info on your repair plan that's it's going to be cheap and you may even pocket some money for you time and inconvenience.
Most accidents are in the front or rear, so you have a good chance of finding color matched doors.
In the mean time, a company like dents unlimited can maybe pop a few dents out for say $100 and a bit. A bit more aesthetic driving it around before the major repairs can be done.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Wonder how bad the B-pillar is.

Reactions: dvpatel

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just to share my experience with a totaled vehicle:

My father got into an at fault accident in my Smart Fortwo. Insurance wanted to total it. That was fine, but I wanted a similar replacement, with all the goodies I had put into it. I searched nationwide for a replacement with the amount of money they offered, and I couldn’t find one. I then asked about other option like keeping the car, and submitted all the modifications I had done and cost. I was then given a decent amount more for it and it was totaled and they kept it, an amount more reasonable to find a replacement.

Start looking for an equivalent replacement NOW. Then you can leverage that with the insurance company with what they offer you.

·
Super Moderator
13,706 Posts
Reactions: kaimanson

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
Wonder how bad the B-pillar is.
Yep, my thoughts exactly. Can you open the doors and snap a picture of the B-pillar? If the B-pillar is OK then a couple of used doors would fix it good as new (along with the airbags, etc.) If the B-pillar is pushed in, which it appears to be from the photos, then that's easily repairable by a professional but would be more than a bolt-on operation.

Body-wise, even if it's just the doors, the airbag deployment can get expensive. You need to replace the air bags, of course, but also the airbag computer module, and often the seat belt pretensioners if they deployed, as well. It may even need a new headliner and new seats, depending on what deployment does to those items.

Reactions: kaimanson

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I didn't realize the side airbags extended all the way to the third row of seats. Nice to know.

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
Start at 10:00.
This young v-tuned lad should be watched as entertainment strictly. The cars he rebuilds shouldn't be allowed on the road again. He's building a 720s now, wonder if anyone will ever buy that down the road lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First, see what the estimate is. Ask about using used doors that already match your color. Talk to the body shop, and mention you don't need the car to be perfect in terms of bodywork.

If it is totaled:

1. Assume the first offer from the insurance company is a low ball offer, and you should be able to get at least 10% to 15% more. But you have to ask!

2. Collect all recent work receipts.

3. Make sure they include sales tax for the replacement car.

4. If you don't need a rental car, ask to be reimbursed for the rental allowance. Remember, they have to include transportation for you to look for a replacement vehicle.

5. If nobody has been injured, this is a cheap for the insurance company, and they should want to keep you a happy camper.

6. If it is drivable, you can buy it back from the insurance company.

7. Start looking for replacement vehicles now, especially cars equivalent to yours, so you'll have an idea whether the insurance company is playing games with you.

Finally, I've been there, and I've done all that.
I'd like to thank everyone for all the input! I'm still waiting to hear back from State Farm, but I'm wondering what the potential $ difference between the insurance checks if I don't keep the car vs keeping the car. I was searching around on car-part.com and it seems a front passenger door runs about $150, and I don't know what the slider would go for but I'm guessing $250 (for whatever reason I can't find a slider on the website). If the cost of fixing the B post isn't prohibitive I would really prefer to salvage the car as a work vehicle (ie I won't need the side air bags replaced). Hopefully State Farm still get back to me prior to Thanksgiving but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My guess is that your car is going to get totaled. Replacing air bags is very expensive. The doors aren any frame damage will also add a lot to the cost. Take the car to a body shop and see what their estimate looks like.

·
Super Moderator
13,706 Posts
Are you not using the rental car coverage? These insurance companies show lightening quick response if they are paying for your rental. If you did not take a rental, call them and ask for a car and see how fast everything moves so that they can stop paying for the rental asap. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi, yesterday I'm going through an intersection in my 2009 odyssey and a lady who blacked out ran into my passenger side. It was fairly low speed, I'm guessing 15-20 mph. Side air bag deployed, but car still drives fine. Can the two doors be replaced or is the car totaled? Its going to be a few days till insurance stuff gets sorted, and I'm just assuming it's probably totaled.
Any info or opinions will be greatly appreciated, thanks!! View attachment 158984
Update: State Farm will give me $6100 for the claim and I can keep the car. Planning on driving it back downstate where a friendly body shop can replace the doors and maybe the airbag/ headliner although that's not critical to me. I am looking for a way to both disable the open door alarm from the damaged sliding door and also prevent the slow battery drain that's apparently going on since the accident. Does anyone happen to know which fuse to pull to disable the sliding doors and alarms?

Thanks again for all your help!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts