Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite, White Diamond Pearl
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just have a question about the headlights in my 2014 TE. The low beams are HIDs, but what I’m confused about is that everything I have read says the DRLs and the high beams are the same bulb. There is only one filament in the 9005/HB3. So just trying to get some knowledge on this because I would like to get a better, brighter and whiter bulb replacement, be it a better halogen or a LED.

Was looking at the GTR Ultra 2 but don’t know how it would do DRL and High beams?? If you have any bulb recommendations I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
2,281 Posts
The OEM high beam bulb is used at a lower voltage (via PWM control) for DRL use. It is the same bulb/filament/housing/reflector for both purposes. There is no separate connection to a DRL dropping resistor or similar that can used to easily disable the DRL function.

If you want more light down the road with 0 risk of problems, change out the 9005 bulb for a slightly modified 9011 bulb (one alignment tab has to be modified). something like 25-35% more light, no changes to the van and no risk of DRL errors, same power draw, etc.

Those bulbs are shipping to my house right now... I'll try to remember to take pictures of the results when I get them installed.

-Charlie

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Just have a question about the headlights in my 2014 TE. The low beams are HIDs, but what I’m confused about is that everything I have read says the DRLs and the high beams are the same bulb. There is only one filament in the 9005/HB3. So just trying to get some knowledge on this because I would like to get a better, brighter and whiter bulb replacement, be it a better halogen or a LED.

Was looking at the GTR Ultra 2 but don’t know how it would do DRL and High beams?? If you have any bulb recommendations I would appreciate it.
you are accurate in your assessment / research.

I have a 2011 TE and was getting tired of changing the high beam / DRL every 8 months or so, and tried LED.

The LED would cause issues with the DRL warning system, along with injecting garbage into the canbus which messed up the parking sensors causing the alerting system to alarm endlessly.
even with the DRL adapter harness installed.

switched back to cheap 4300k xenon bulbs from amazon, and havnt looked back.

·
Registered
149 Posts
.....change out the 9005 bulb for a slightly modified 9011 bulb (one alignment tab has to be modified). something like 25-35% more light, no changes to the van and no risk of DRL errors, same power draw, etc.

Those bulbs are shipping to my house right now... I'll try to remember to take pictures of the results when I get them installed.

-Charlie
interested in this mod! on my list to do in the future.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for all for the comments, I guess my next question is…can I use a HID in this application of the DRL/High beams?

·
Registered
626 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
2,281 Posts
Thank you for all for the comments, I guess my next question is…can I use a HID in this application of the DRL/High beams?
You'd have the same issue as above. The DRL system cannot be disabled and will throw errors if you try to run an HID ballast in place of the bulb. If you DID get it to run without errors (with extra circuits or loads on there), you would have full brightness HIDs on whenever the van was driving instead of the lower intensity DRLs - which wouldn't be good for other drivers on the road.

-Charlie

Reactions: Alexanderthegreat88

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you again, guess I’m just gonna stick with halogens hopefully I can find a more white substitute from the OEM.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
2,281 Posts
Reactions: Alexanderthegreat88

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
Black asphalt roadways are tough with any lights at night.

More challenge when there's not other illumination (street lights or moonlight).

Even worse when it's wet.

The above is really, really, really, really, really bad with blue tinted headlights (due to loss of the really useful red, orange, yellow and green wavelengths of the visible spectrum).

OF

1 - 13 of 13 Posts