Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5 weeks ago, we put $1000 down on a Touring Elite at a dealership in Albuquerque, NM. At this point, our salesman has been uable to place an order for a Smoky Topaz Touring Elite. They say after an order is secured, then it will be another 12 weeks until delivery! Ugh.

This seems very strange to us... and we wonder what the real issue is. Are others confused with the ordering process for Odyssey vehicles?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I ordered ours mid-October and got it just before Thanksgiving. When I picked it up, they told me I was lucky, because lead times were out to almost 3 months (at Thanksgiving). Honda estimated only 7% roughly of all Ody sales would be Touring Elites. I have a feeling it's alot higher than that. Demand > Supply = shortage.

·
Banned
728 Posts
fizzyhawk said:
I ordered ours mid-October and got it just before Thanksgiving. When I picked it up, they told me I was lucky, because lead times were out to almost 3 months (at Thanksgiving). Honda estimated only 7% roughly of all Ody sales would be Touring Elites. I have a feeling it's alot higher than that. Demand > Supply = shortage.
I wonder whether there is something else at work. A few dealerships in our area have Tourings on the lot. Some have sold signs on the dash but the vehicles sat for weeks. One dealer had a Polished Metal Touring that he first said I could test drive and then said Honda had a hold on it and gave me another to test drive.

Perhaps there have been some small production issues to work out on this trim level??

·
Banned
728 Posts
fizzyhawk said:
Perhaps, but the problem, I was told, is on the Elites, not the non-Elites.
In Canada, a Touring has the same equipment as a Touring Elite in the USA. We don't get a Touring option here. :(

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Shortage might related to the area or to the very specific colors' request? I just checked the dealer I purchased from and they seem to have decent rotation, but the top trim ones (Touring/Touring Elite) seem to be the same for a few weeks now...

·
Registered
85 Posts
We had a heck of a time finding an Elite in Smoky Topaz, the only Elite in stock in our area was the ugly blue color. We ended up buying out of state. Purchased Oct23. Figured that the inventory would have grown since then. Doesn't appear to be true.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
We would be happy if the dealership showed us some evidence that the vehicle has been ORDERED. As it stands now, we're not even on a list!

For those that have ordered vehicles, I understand it may take a while.... but could you explain a little about the process you went through when ordering your Odyssey?

thanks!

·
Registered
786 Posts
It took me 8 months to find mine back in July 2005 - March 2006 to find the right color and options I wanted, but I did all the searching my self after several dealers were uncooperative. Philadelphia to Pittsburgh to NY was the radius but I found it sitting on the show room floor at the local dealer in late March of 06. :rolleyes: So 3 months to me doesn't seem that long. It also doesn't seem that long when you consider the 6 month waiting list created by the 2nd gen. It also seems as though Honda assumed EXL's would be the heavy seller, especially when you consider that they always have been and there seems to be a much smaller difference from a 2011 EXL to Touring than there was in 2005 with the power liftgate and PAX being the leading factors.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We bought a smokey topaz touring elite existing scheduled allocation (to be manuactured Dec 18 - 21) in early Dec. The dealer called us on 23rd and the car was ready for delivery on their lot.

The only reason we bought the elite vs. touring was the color. All touring/elite/EX-L-Navi with smokey topaz were pre-sold until Feb. in Atlanta!!!! We ended up paying full MSRP for the Van. We love the color inside & out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
x5ian said:
We bought a smokey topaz touring elite existing scheduled allocation (to be manuactured Dec 18 - 21) in early Dec. The dealer called us on 23rd and the car was ready for delivery on their lot.
I'm envious! Maybe our dealer is working the "existing scheduled allocation" to find us one. Since we put money down on Dec.3rd (same time frame as x5ian) - just don't know how much longer it will be.

We are also paying MSRP. Nice to hear you like the color inside & out.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Oh, and one thing that is not usually mentioned: many car manufacturers prioritize their production (time and actual car specs) for the different dealers based on how good those dealers are: the better the volume of car sales and post-sale consumer feedback is, the better priority and car choices the dealers get

I'm not sure if Honda does that though.

·
Registered
854 Posts
A Honda dealer cannot order a vehicle from the factory - period. Vehicles are allocated to dealers and the factory determines the allocation.

There is no (legitimate) reason in the world why your NM dealer cannot give you an estimated delivery date based on the number of units they have pre-sold and their allocation schedule.

If they can't/won't, find another store that will.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Tri-C said:
A Honda dealer cannot order a vehicle from the factory - period. Vehicles are allocated to dealers and the factory determines the allocation.

There is no (legitimate) reason in the world why your NM dealer cannot give you an estimated delivery date based on the number of units they have pre-sold and their allocation schedule.

I have been meaning to ask you, was it hard to downgrade to the EXL from your Touring?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tri-C said:

Aha. Now that piece of information explains quite a bit. We were provided with a 12 week estimated delivery date. My previous purchase (Chrysler T&C back in 1997) was a factory order. We were told when the order was placed, which VIN was ours at the Chrysler factory, and very precise timelines for it's arrival.

Our dealer has now been in contact with us every day to provide updates on the "allocation" searching that they are working on.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Cntrtwnltd said:
I have been meaning to ask you, was it hard to downgrade to the EXL from your Touring?
No, not at all. I sold the Touring in July 2008 and (painfully) went without a van for 2 years.

Each was was right for us at the time of its respective purchase.

The kids are now grown so there was no real need for RES. Portable navigation units now render a factory system a waste of money, IMHO. Never used the memory system of the Touring. My PAX tires wore fine but the ride was a tad firm.

The '10 choice was actually between an EX and an EX-L - never considered another Touring due to its relatively poor value. In the end, the power liftgate and heated seats were decisive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts