Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, i was wondering if it is possible to buy the touring elite goodies like
wide-screen dvd, blind-spot side mirrors as an accessory to add to an EXL. Like discounted honda accessories from other dealers. (similiar to floor mats or something)

or if i get an EX-L can i add that widescreen RES ? I think Honda has a 2000 dollar option to add the RES but we really like the 16in wide.
are the vans pre wired for it the RES ( we will be getting Navi as a minimum).

my wife would like the widescreen dvd fo the kids but we dont want to pay extra 7k for it. :nothappy:

Also can the remote start be purchase after vehicle sale? i see that honda charges 500 but i see them online for 325

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
For the RES, not sure how the dual input stuff would work that the elite has. Also the wide RES has speakers for voice channels I assume you need the fancy shmancy sound system of the elite for that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would just mount 2 IPADs for Rear Entertainment. Looks better and much more capable. I am picking up my EX-L this week. Google the IPAD mount. They have cheap and nice IPAD mount for the car headrests

·
Banned
80 Posts
Hi there, i was wondering if it is possible to buy the touring elite goodies like
wide-screen dvd, blind-spot side mirrors as an accessory to add to an EXL. Like discounted honda accessories from other dealers. (similiar to floor mats or something)

or if i get an EX-L can i add that widescreen RES ? I think Honda has a 2000 dollar option to add the RES but we really like the 16in wide.
are the vans pre wired for it the RES ( we will be getting Navi as a minimum).

my wife would like the widescreen dvd fo the kids but we dont want to pay extra 7k for it. :nothappy:

Also can the remote start be purchase after vehicle sale? i see that honda charges 500 but i see them online for 325
You can add anything you like, it all depends how much time and money you'd like to spend. Honestly just like the other person suggested there are way better RES's out there.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
You can add anything you like, it all depends how much time and money you'd like to spend. Honestly just like the other person suggested there are way better RES's out there.
Ya I agree, the quality of the display on the wide RES is not the greatest. Ipad display is far superior.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Unless you have infants that don't have the motor and comprehension skills yet for iPads. We use our RES for when we have to get going somewhere with a long enough drive and he is fussy, the RES buys us a little time to get where we need to get and keep him a little settled, and we can control it from the driver's seat. The van is the only place that our infant watches any sort of TV and its Baby Einstein, haha.

We thought about iPads as well, but we are planning on having another baby with 1-2 years, so this is our logic.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I went for the EX-L NAVI instead of RES or the Touring because of the extra cost for such a basic LCD screen. Also because when I purchased the van my daughter was only about a year old and will be rear facing for a while. We will be trying for out second child next year and they will be rear facing for a while.

Figure we will just buy and iPad or use my Galaxy Tab 10.1 to play movies/videos using a head rest mount.

·
Registered
15 Posts
just got the ex-l.
debated the ex-l with nav, but i love my garmin too much. would still use the garmin.
Going to purchase a top of the line garmin and still save (i'll get it hardwired).
Also, i have older kids now, no need for rear entertainment. they all have itouchs, iphones, and i figured i'd buy another ipad if needed. still would save a ton.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the feedback everyone! we have a 4 and 1.5 yr old. We already own an ipad2 , itouch, iphone 4, and motorola droid atrix, so the handheld part we got covered.

If the RES doesnt get used as often when they get older maybe i should skip it. Plus i am not liking to carry a binder of DVD's.

so next year we will prob get the ipad3/4 when it comes out.

My wife likes it cause its integrated and widescreen i guess marketing got to her. she is just concerned if we dont get it will our kids be alright. currently we dont have RES and the kids just nap or play with their physical toys. Older one does some itouch (driving 1-4 hrs trips)

·
Registered
15 Posts
even in my old suburban, i through out the dvd player. haven't bought a dvd in ages. we were hooking our ipod's up to the tv for video. at this point, the kids never agree on what to watch, so no need for centralized video screen. my old tv had a tv tuner, it was great! however, once we switched to digital over the air, i lost my TV! (digital does not pick up well in a moving vehicle without fancy atennas)

·
Banned
80 Posts
I have an old Nextar portable DVD player which fits perfectly in the front center console facing the second and third row seats. It looks almost just like factory install. I hid the power cable under the cosole and floor mats so it looks very clean, I may post a photo one of these days. I also like the fact that kids don't have to have their heads up all the time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts