Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Touring Elite RES question

19K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  David Johnson 
#1 ·
hi all -

just got my first minivan thursday night. finally got to get into the back seat & play with stuff today. LOVE the ultra-wide display, LOVE the full surround system when you turn the fader all the way to the rear.

but... i cannot figure out how to control the volume from the rear when you do that. i've looked in the less-than-helpful manual, i've played around... seems like the only way to do it is to get up and reach up to the front (which in my case is almost impossible with the console in, i actually have to get out and get into the front seat to change the volume).

i figure there has to be a way to do this that i'm missing so i'm asking all you folks with more experience than i in this area.

thanks!

(also - is it just me or does it seem dumb that in 2011 they didn't include a Blu-Ray player rather than a DVD player?)

#2 ·
hi all -

(also - is it just me or does it seem dumb that in 2011 they didn't include a Blu-Ray player rather than a DVD player?)

Let's see...if BMW or Mercedes or any other high end car manufacturer doesn't install Blu-Ray...why would Honda start?

You can't tell much difference to begin with on these small lcd screens to make it worth while.

The kids don't know the difference.

#3 · (Edited)
i cannot figure out how to control the volume from the rear when you do that. i've looked in the less-than-helpful manual, i've played around... seems like the only way to do it is to get up and reach up to the front (which in my case is almost impossible with the console in, i actually have to get out and get into the front seat to change the volume).
It might be a safety issue I reckon. I wouldn't like to have my kids drive me crazy by playing with the volume back there while driving on the highway. It is nice to control everything from up-front.

The headsets do have some basic volume control, but we haven't really used them so I cannot comment

#4 ·
Yes, considering the size of the ultra-wide display, I don't think that a blu-ray player would make much sense (probably wouldn't be able to see the difference).

What we will be doing shortly is getting the HDMI converter that Apple will be starting to sell on the 11th, and use my IPad to supply video. I have the 64 Gig model, so even at AppleTV resolutions I still can easily have 30 plus movies on the Ipad at one time. So, almost no reason to bring DVD's.

#5 ·
I don't think that a blu-ray player would make much sense
I just asked wife and the only comment she had was that it could be useful only because many people may have already a Blu-ray kid's movie library at home so it would be a waste of money to own both formats. But yeah, resolution on both RESs are not something to scream coolness :)

#9 ·
i don't know anything about mercedes or bmw, but yeah, not concerned about resolution on the display, just consistency. as has been mentioned, i've already started selling off the DVDs en route to full BR library conversion. the only reason i have to rip them and convert back to DVD would be to play them in the van.

of course i also wonder why most auto manufacturers don't have HD radio standard (or even optional), but i digress....

as for the safety issue regarding volume control, seems like that would easily be solved by keeping the remote up front if you're concerned....

it just seems incongruous - if there is a setting on the thing for full rear entertainment system surround, seems to me that assumes people would be sitting in the back with complete control of the system since the front speakers do not work in that setting. it does work with the key in the accessory position, not just when driving. people do park and watch movies, right? :)

so i'm guessing by the feedback so far that controlling the volume from the back isn't possible. crapola. thanks for responding!

#11 ·
Here are the numbers for the Touring Elite:

Honda DVD Ultrawide Rear Entertainment System (RES) with HDMI Port (Odyssey Touring Elite)

Adding to the features of the Odyssey Touring, a state-of-the-art, factory-integrated Rear Entertainment System (RES) with an ultrawide display is standard on the Odyssey Touring Elite model. At 16.2 inches wide, the RES screen is the largest ever offered in a Honda. The WVGA display natively provides 1,600 pixels horizontally and 480 pixels vertically (approximately 6.8 times the resolution of the standard display on the Odyssey Touring). User-selectable aspect ratios include normal (640x480), full (850x480), super full (1,300x480), ultra full (1,600x480), super zoom (1,300x640) and ultra zoom (1600x640).

Honda Media. 2011 Honda Odyssey: Interior

#14 ·
Yes, we have the Apple HDMI adapter. We have the Touring Elite with the split screen and two kids, so each one can watch one side with the set-up we have....

We have one kid with an iphone 4 plugged in on the back right using the HDMI adapter. I select AUX-HDMI for the right screen.
We bought the OEM Apple adapter from the apple store.
Apple 30-pin Digital AV Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

The other kid has an iPad 1 plugged in using a composite cable to the left rear input. I select AUX-COMP for the left screen. (I think that is what the input is called.... I can't remember exactly)
We bought an Amazon brand.
Amazon.com: AmazonBasics 6.5-Foot/2-Meter Composite AV Cable for Apple iPhone/iPad/iPod: MP3 Players & Accessories

It is pretty much the most awesome thing EVER.... both kids are able to watch videos (ripped from our DVDs or purchased through the app store) or play music from their iDevices and use the wireless headphones. If I let them tether off of my 3G connection they can watch Netflix as well. And, if they want to play an app, it won't show on the screen but the sound will come through the headphones so we don't have to hear the stupid Angry Birds music in the front seat. With that HDMI adapter I bought, mirroring is available with iPad 2 or later and iPhone 4S and later, so we can't mirror because our devices are too old.

#16 ·
I had the iPhone 4 last year and set up the apple TV on the HDMI connection. I could stream low quality movies to the apple tv with no issues. But, HD movies would not stream without bufferring very often and for very long periods of time. So, I just used the composite cable. Now I have the iphone 5 with the 5 ghz band on wireless. Now when we go on road trips we tether all of our devices including the apple tv. We are now able to send videos and music to the apple tv wirelessly in both SD and HD without any buffering problems. Plus, when the kids get a little older, I will be able to give them the remote from the apple tv and they will be able to stream videos or music from the menu on the apple tv. We just went to florida and back and never had a problem with streaming video. I ordered a flat HDMI cable from MONOPRICE and ran it under the carpet in the back through the holes that the seatbelts use and then the apple tv is placed in one of the open compartments in the back.

#17 ·
I too have the setup, we originally were using the ipad, but now I just put most of the movies the kids like on my wife's iPhone4s and no problems. (we try to keep the iPad free if one kid wants to doodle or play a game or something)

I also have one of these Scosche usb charger it works well and it can charge the iPad, and a phone. Only issue is the shell is a bit flimsy. I dropped it in the van, it just hit the cupholders then landed on the carpet which was enough to split the casing by the usb ports. I just put a zip-tie around it and it works fine, but doesn't look quite right :)

I too bought an HDMI cable and a long USB cable from monoprice.com so I can plugin/charge devices anywhere in the car.

I ran the cables under the floor mats, and when they aren't in use, I just coil it and stash it under the floor mat between the front central console and the coolbox. I definitely recommend getting a similar setup, but I'm not sure the HDMI is worth it based on the quality of the display. The main reason I use the HDMI, is we often have 1 person in the 3rd row, and I leave them the wider section (driver side) so if I was using component video, it would be in their way a little. The passengerside 3rd row is just stuffed with luggage so the cable doesn't bother anyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.