Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st Time Minivan Shopper -- Need help picking one between Touring/Touring Elite.

I know for sure, we need the memory seats, Navi, Parking Sensors.. So Touring is where we start'd. But it would be nice to have Xenon HID Lights and Blind spot detection.

Does anyone know if these two things can be retrofitted easily at a later time, either OEM or after market?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Blind spots not so easy, hid shouldn't be so bad several here upgraded to hid.

For what it's worth, we really like our TE, the wide RES is nice and I really like the rear theater mode.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm not super impressed by the HIDs. One of the reasons I bought it. I heard many good reviews. But can't tell a "significant" difference between them and my subaru with regular halogens.

I like the blind spot system, Jnr likes the wide screen TV, but I am sure he would like an ipad. The coolbox... ermmm next to useless. 6 spd tranny, another thing I wanted but not super smooth, perhaps its more the VCM.

In general I am disappointed with the quality (for the price) of the vehicle. Not sure the sienna is much better ? I also had the battery warning for 8 months and had to put up Honda's response (well documented elsewhere).

Just my two cents

Would I buy it again... Nope

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!, We were also considering the 2011 Quest LE - The smoothness/drivability is perfect; Ody is the best overall with the seating arrangements. However with the financial incentives on the Quest it makes more financial sense towards the quest. The other stupidity from Nissan is - There are NO parking sensors whatsoever even on their tp of the line LE Trim Level.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not super impressed by the HIDs. One of the reasons I bought it. I heard many good reviews. But can't tell a "significant" difference between them and my subaru with regular halogens.

I like the blind spot system, Jnr likes the wide screen TV, but I am sure he would like an ipad. The coolbox... ermmm next to useless. 6 spd tranny, another thing I wanted but not super smooth, perhaps its more the VCM.

In general I am disappointed with the quality (for the price) of the vehicle. Not sure the sienna is much better ? I also had the battery warning for 8 months and had to put up Honda's response (well documented elsewhere).

Just my two cents

Would I buy it again... Nope
I did not observe this right during my test drive - but, The blind spot system does not chirp right when its active?

And the wide screen system - Does it stretch the single DVD source all the way through out the 16.2 Inch screen? And did you see any sonic difference between the stock audio system against the premium one on the Elite Model?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I did not observe this right during my test drive - but, The blind spot system does not chirp right when its active?

And the wide screen system - Does it stretch the single DVD source all the way through out the 16.2 Inch screen? And did you see any sonic difference between the stock audio system against the premium one on the Elite Model?
The HID and BSI is what sold me. It took the split screen to get my wife on board.

You can select how wide the format is on the screen - normal ratio, wide or stretched all the way.

The BSI does not chirp. Despite this, it has saved me once when the kid behind me was dive bombing us approaching a red light. I had him in the mirrors (behind me), signaled and then caught the BSI flashing out of the corner of my eye as I started to change lanes, so it works without the audible indication.

·
Registered
23 Posts
We just did the Quest vs. Odyssey comparisons this week...

The Quest is nice but drives humongous and is optioned idiotically. There are very few LE's to be had and that is the ONLY way you can get Nav. Also, if you want the dual-sunroof, you MUST have the $2k DVD player. That said, you can get an LE loaded for $35-36k and and SL with DVD & Moonroof for 32-33.

But after driving both several times and spending time with both, examining everything, the Honda EX-L with Nav. is both the better vehicle and the value proposition. You can get it for about 33.5 + TT&L including destination.

I don't own the vehicle yet, but the Honda wins in almost every category.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Oh thank god the BSI doesn't beep! But it works really well how it is now.

Also regarding the HID, I didn't actually compare the 2. I just know that from past experience I wanted HID. My wife's accord didn't have them and a few times driving at night we really struggled to see where the road was going. The car was a few years old so maybe they lost some of their power.
Our intent was to keep the ody a long time, and it would be the road trip car so I wanted the nice headlamps.

Like it has been said many times the low battery warning is annoying, but more annoying is Honda's response to the issue. Anyways, rest of the car is great and we are glad we purchased it. If the biggest problem I have with it is a beeping battery sensor I'll be happy. Time will tell.

·
Registered
174 Posts
HID conversions are NOT the same as stock HIDs.... they are fixed and the OEMs are self leveling. HID conversions are not legal either in the US.... the fact that they don't self level can really cause issues blinding oncoming drivers if you have a rear loaded van - raising the cutoff to drivers eye level and above (my other vehicle is a miata, and I can tell you it doesn't take much of a load to blind an oncoming driver). if you want HID - definitely go with the Elite. The BSI is a great feature, although I don't have it on my EX-L obviously, I have driven a few with the feature, and it does come in handy, especially when in higher denisty traffic areas.

Good luck shopping

1 - 10 of 10 Posts