Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone - long-time Odyclub member w/ three kids under 10 (9,7,4) and in the process of replacing our '02 LX Odyssey. We looked at the Volvo XC90 (not practical) and the new Nissan Quest (wife hated the interior and couldn't believe it was same price as an Odyssey). As much as I want the Volvo, it's her car and I do agree the Odyssey is the most practical choice.

Anyway, I did a search but didn't see too much information on this - has any one else struggled with the "need vs. want" debate? My wife and I agree we "need" the EX-L w/ nav. We continue to ask ourselves if the price difference (about $50 a month) makes it worth jumping up to an Elite. The RES, sound deadening windshield and improved gas mileage would be really great but I'm not convinced we need it as we drive fewer than 8k miles a year and it's mostly local...so that leads me to buying the EX-L.

My dilema is that a year or two from now, I don't want to be in a position where I wish I had gone with the Touring. It's what happened in '02 - bought what we thought we "needed" and within a couple of years we wished we had the power doors, leather and RES.

Anyone else go through this? I'd appreciate any thoughts folks might have.

Thanks!

·
Registered
747 Posts
To me the question comes down to the extra money and if it is a big deal to you. If it is, go with the lower level. If the entertainment system is a big deal to have, get an aftermarket system for much less.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You can also apply that to EX-L w/NAV vs EX-L. I would've bought the EX-L w/NAV if they had one on the lot, but wasn't so important to me. Instead, I saved ~$40/month, and instead would have to use a mobile NAV system. Which really isn't problematic at all.

We're in a similar boat. Our odyssey will get driven less than 8K milers per year, and for probably 7.5K of those miles, we'll know we're we are going. :)

For us, it was a nice to have, but definitely not needed.

Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
IMHO if the thought of saving the $$ crosses your mind...then skip it. There's a difference between needing/wanting convenience features and just plain bling. The cost of the RES will buy all the kids Ipads or whatever entertainment they would like. 8k miles a year isn't much time in a car...I'd be buying the EX-L. We take a lot of long trips so usually buy all the features...we're going for the Touring if we buy the Ody. Even being a gadget freak...I can't justify the Elite. My kids barely use the RES as is and blind-spot might be only thing that even remotely interests me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
IMHO if the thought of saving the $$ crosses your mind...then skip it. There's a difference between needing/wanting convenience features and just plain bling. The cost of the RES will buy all the kids Ipads or whatever entertainment they would like. 8k miles a year isn't much time in a car...I'd be buying the EX-L. We take a lot of long trips so usually buy all the features...we're going for the Touring if we buy the Ody. Even being a gadget freak...I can't justify the Elite. My kids barely use the RES as is and blind-spot might be only thing that even remotely interests me.

My thoughts exactly.

Of course, now I'm thinking about it... despite the low mileage, we will take it on some trips that are 2-3 hours one way, but very rare, including camping. So maybe that RES would've been nice, but ultimately I still think what you said is true... individual entertainment units are the way to go.

·
Registered
48 Posts
This is us as well. After driving the Touring and EXL, we prefer the Touring. Honestly, the Navi is an after though since we have a Garmin with lifetime updates. It's nice to have, but not necessary. With young kids, RES is a must for the sanity of the parents. I like the ride of the Touring better and the 6spd feels peppier.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Agree with most others here.

Major upgrades:
EX-L - Power doors, leather, etc.
EX-L w/ Nav - Navigation and voice control
Touring - 6sp AT, RES
Touring Elite - Surround sound, split screen, blind spot notification

Someone will probably point out other things I'm missing, but these are the major features I considered when trying to decide.

We wanted Nav for something to play with up front. What is forgotten a lot is that Nav gets voice control. We didn't choose Nav for this reason, but now that I have it, I'm very glad I did and would recommend it highly. We have a separate vehicle for most of our long distance travel, so we didn't think we'd use the RES much. If we need it, I'd prefer to get iPads or similar. I really wanted the 6sp AT, but after driving them both, I just couldn't quite justify spending the extra money for all the extra stuff that I didn't want and did not want to maintain later.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey everyone - long-time Odyclub member w/ three kids under 10 (9,7,4) and in the process of replacing our '02 LX Odyssey. We looked at the Volvo XC90 (not practical) and the new Nissan Quest (wife hated the interior and couldn't believe it was same price as an Odyssey). As much as I want the Volvo, it's her car and I do agree the Odyssey is the most practical choice.

Anyway, I did a search but didn't see too much information on this - has any one else struggled with the "need vs. want" debate? My wife and I agree we "need" the EX-L w/ nav. We continue to ask ourselves if the price difference (about $50 a month) makes it worth jumping up to an Elite. The RES, sound deadening windshield and improved gas mileage would be really great but I'm not convinced we need it as we drive fewer than 8k miles a year and it's mostly local...so that leads me to buying the EX-L.

My dilema is that a year or two from now, I don't want to be in a position where I wish I had gone with the Touring. It's what happened in '02 - bought what we thought we "needed" and within a couple of years we wished we had the power doors, leather and RES.

Thanks!

Go for it, in the long run you will be happier with the van. Sure you can get aftermarket RES & nav, but the problem with them is they are not always there, and when you need them you need to get them out, hook them up and put them somewhere....the wires are a pain in the a$$, and our kids were always breaking them....

The blind spot system is great, I was surprised at how much I use it and like it.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Check this old thread, it may have some good info:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/54-20...did-you-choose-what-trim-level-you-chose.html

My response is below. The only thing I can say is that if you go for a Touring go for the top of the line Touring Elite, then you'll regret it if not ;)

EX-L w/RES covers all the family needs and beyond. It is my kids' ride, not my own anyway :D.

We did not only compare Odyssey trims, but also against other vehicles (Sienna, Chrysler T&C, Dodge Caravan, VW Routan and the upcoming Nissan Quest)

NAV vs RES was not even a thought. Our Tom-Tom and phones with GPS are swappable between cars and in 1-2 years you can get a fancier new model with map updates for a couple of hundred bucks. Integrating RES nicely aftermarket on the other hand is not that easy.

I only wish fabric would be available on the EX-L trim instead of leather, but it seems easy to wipe

And yes, we also looked at the Touring Elite, it is an awesome vehicle, but at the end of the day we concluded that a van is a van, regardless of what fancy features you have in it. Anyway, to each its own, long live the free market

·
Banned
727 Posts
We picked an EX RES, but would have taken an EX if we could find one. At the end of the day, saving $13,000 (the cost between an EX RES and Touring in Canada) seemed more attractive than buying a bunch of toys that we didn't need.

I'm sure we'll use the entertainment system from time to time but other than a 6 speed, we don't see the need for much else. The auto magazine reviews have all said the same thing. It is the same van, but much better value at the lower trim levels.

And to Bama, I've driven both of these vans back to back dozens of times trying to talk myself into the Touring and I can say that there is no difference in the ride between the two models. the 17" v 18" wheels might make a difference, but not that anyone would notice.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the great replies. I'm still not 100 percent sure what we'll end up buying but I'm leaning towered the EX-L w/ nav and just letting the kids use the IPad on road trips. As great a the Touring is, we just don't need all the extra features.

·
Banned
727 Posts
Thanks for all the great replies. I'm still not 100 percent sure what we'll end up buying but I'm leaning towered the EX-L w/ nav and just letting the kids use the IPad on road trips. As great a the Touring is, we just don't need all the extra features.
In Canada, to get NAV, you have to buy the Touring. You can get RES in the EX or EX-L. I have a portable Garmin unit with lifetime traffic and map updates, so I didn't see the need to spend extra on the Touring. We'd probably only use NAV a couple of times a year.

One of the reasons I picked the Odyssey is its top safety ratings. I guess I'm a bit of a safety nut. :) I think about what happens to stuff that isn't bolted down in an accident. I'd hope that an iPad wouldn't become a dangerous projectile in a collision that might hit my kid in the head or in some other vital spot. I decided to get the RES as it is a fixed installation and in addition to being safer, it is one less thing to get stolen (I'm referring to the iPad) when we are in the shopping center and the iPad is under the seat of the van.

Just some food for thought. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
One feature that we liked in addition to all those mentioned above, is the fact that the Touring model does have the integrated 3rd row sunshade. May not be important to some, but actually a nice feature to have if you use the 3rd row a lot. Obviously not the deciding factor, but it would be nice to have been able to opt for it on the lower trims.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Thanks!
Really love the 2011 Odyssey Touring Elite model. Having the blind spot alert indicators are very nice too (can't get that on the touring model unfortunately). Premium audio and the widescreen for video is nice too. I'm sure we would have been happy in a lesser version of the van, but in the long run, I think (for us at least) it was the best decision (however we tend to do 15k a year driving).

·
Registered
118 Posts
no ones mentioned HID's available in elite. This is a major safety option in my book. you not only see the road better but cars see you sooner

·
Registered
27 Posts
We decided on Touring for following major reasons

- Memory seats/mirrors etc.
- Steering Wheel-Mounted Navigation and Phone Controls
- 115-Volt Power Outlet
- Integrated Sunshades (2nd and 3rd-rows)

·
Registered
86 Posts
The Parking Sensors and onscreen parking sensor display displays and the looks of the Touring is what sold me (along with the 18" wheels, different rear lights, Side indicator, fog lights, sensors, window shades, acoustic windshield, 6AT).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Major upgrades:
EX-L - Power doors, leather, etc.
EX-L w/ Nav - Navigation and voice control
Touring - 6sp AT, RES
Touring Elite - Surround sound, split screen, blind spot notification

all trims 6 sp please

·
Registered
8 Posts
Try Superior Honda

Cincyfan......Go with the Elite......you'll be happier in the long run. We drove up from Louisville and got a great deal from Chris Ollige at Superior Honda in Cincy. We saved almost 10k on our Elite compared to Louisville Honda dealerships.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts