Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a lot of searching on towing, and there is definitely a lot of good information within these forums. I'll now add my experience to the mix. Let me know if you have any concerns, questions or additional thoughts.

We towed a 21' Apex Nano Trailer over 800km's last weekend and the Odyssey performed valiantly! Other than the fuel economy, I really couldn't believe how well it towed. I truly believe it did so well because I took the time to outfit the van properly. It cost me $1920 CDN in parts and labour. Well worth it if you ask me.

Odyssey Setup:
  • Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement (HROD2)
  • Hayden Automotive Rapid Cool 678 (9.5" high by 11" long) Transmission Cooler
  • Hayden Power Steering Pump 1010
  • OEM Receiver
  • 7-Pin Electrical Connection (utilizing the OEM 4-pin wiring harness + additional cables wired to engine bay and brake controller)
  • Reese Proportional Brake Controller
  • Weight Distribution Hitch
  • Veepeak WiFi ODB2 Scanner plugged into ODB II port (running "Car Scanner ELM ODB2" app)
Trailer Details:
  • Dry Weight: 2850 lbs
  • Loaded Weight: 3378 lbs (weighed at weigh scale station)
  • Tongue Weight: 340 lbs (weighed at weigh scale station)
I had two adults, two kids, a dog, stroller, fold-out table and a couple of other items in the vehicle. Unfortunately, I forgot to weigh my van, so I don't know how much it weighed :rolleyes:.

Over the 800km I averaged 26L/100km (9 mpg). I traveled 350km at 110km/h (68 mp/h) and the balance at 100km/h (62 mp/h). I did get much better fuel economy travelling at 80 km/h but would have been a hazard to other people on the highway. The air mass drag of the trailer is likely the culprit here. It extended much higher than the height of my van. See picture below. I used regular unleaded for fuel (87 octane).

I kept an eye on transmission temperatures via the app. I averaged 192 F and peaked at 202F. I'd say the transmission cooler did it's job and then some. From my understanding, people are seeing temps in the high 260's.

I had read in many posts that I should be driving in D4, but my temps were so low that I just left it in D. I used cruise control for almost the entire drive. I noticed that ECO would only come on when driving down hill. On flat ground or uphill it would not activate. I was shocked by this, but likely due to the load on the engine?

I guess to wrap it up, stick within the tow limits of the Ody and properly equip yourself and towing shouldn't be an issue.

Cheers
Rik

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Great stuff you should keep it in D4 as I bet it gets better mileage. Also keep the speeds down to about 60-65 mph.

Honda recommends running premium fuel if towing that alone will improve power and mileage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Odyssey 2019 EXL
2 Posts
Wow, this is great info. As a first timer on towing, I was very nervous to use mine..2019 Odyssey. It cam with ahitch from dealer in Canada.. did you have to do any modifications the transmission?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
All those other mods but no Muzzler? Color me surprised..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts