Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '07 Ody Touring that I'd like to tow ( 4 wheele down) behind my motorhome. Honda Manual says it's not approved - but I see people doing it and the manufacturers of towing equipment claim it is OK to do. Anyone have experience doing this and are there special procedures to follow to avoid tranny failure?

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
In cars with Auto Trans, the engine needs to run to pump ATF into the Torque Converter.

If you tow any AT car with wheels on the ground, after ___ miles, then TC goes dry and will be damaged.

Most mfg's recommend max of 20 miles but check to be sure. After 20 miles, risk of AT damage.

Options:
1. Tow with Front wheels up.

2. Disconnect Axles (a lot of work!).

3. Install lube pump:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/towing/66584-tow-a-lexus-es300-automatic-transmission/

http://www.fmca.com/motorhome/towing/84-adapting-an-automatic-transmission-vehicle-for-towing-four-wheels-down

·
Registered
786 Posts
Yes, it is possible. Honda and Acura say their vehicles can't be flat towed, but the truth is they can. The problem is that there is a very specific procedure that must be used in order to tow with all four wheels on the ground. It seems as though people weren't following it, which I can imagine wouldn't be hard to do, and Honda was forced to keep fitting the bill for new transmissions for all the folks who destroyed them. It originally started in 2005, I think, when Acura started typing NOT TOWABLE in the MDX's manuel. It then spread throughout most of the product line. I think the civic and the element still say it is possible. That is why in the manuel it says something like "not towable", but then "in the event of emergency" then it gives the instructions. It has to do with not directly shifting from reverse to neutral. I personally flat tow my Odyssey, I have seen others on the road, and Roadmaster sells and actually gives directions with photos on how to install a tow bar on both the 05-07 and 08-10 Odyssey. I know many people have heard its not possible, but if it were to do any damage, I would have caused it by now, or at least heard about from friends or my RV forum. You might run into an issue with the PAX system since they say the Tourings have to be flat bed towed if need be. I think that has to do with the TPMS but I could be wrong.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts