Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is time for the annual fishing trip to Canada. It is 700 miles each way and in years past I have rented a Ford pickup because I didn't trust the Ody to pull my boat (~2500lbs) up there and back. It tows the boat locally just fine but a long trip is scary.

This year I can't get a rental truck and I am wondering if I should try it with my 2003 Ody at 125K miles? It has had tranny and PS coolers since almost new and I'm still on the original transmission.

Am I crazy to consider this? Probably - I could end up spending thousands of dollars and never put a line in the water. What do you think?

·
Registered
34 Posts
You are aware all that pulling will boil the oil so hot it might slip.
my friend moved from Ga to Oregon two years ago. He had a cummings diesel auto 4x4. He was pulling a trailer. My brother calls me and tells me the trans got so hot it would not pull the trailer anymore. They ended up on the side of the road until the transmission cooled down. These vehicles do have huge auto trans coolers.

If you have a large oil cooler go for it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, CRAZY...I do not think your Odyssey got more reliable with age. You have 2500 lbs for the boat...then all the other weight for people and gear. Stick to what you have been doing. Use a full size truck meant for hauling a boat. The Odyssey is a people mover (maybe bike rack and bikes too) not a boat hauler.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I think you're all crazy nay-sayers!

I say go for it. You and the Ody will be fine. You're not even maxed out to the limit! Whats the problem?

Change out the ATF before and after the trip for a little piece of mind, but it the tranny is destined to fail it wont be due to this one long trip.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I would do it -- Just remember D3 the whole way, unless coasting down hills.

I know you will feel like you are wasting gas in D3, but the engine will be in its optimum torque range and the tranny will be cooler than going in and out of OD.

Also, you will still get the same gas mileage the truck would have gotten minus the rental fees.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your thoughts fellows. If I had more experience on medium length trips I would be more confident in taking it on a long trip. I have considered measuring the temp of the line going into the cooler and using that to tell me when to pull over and let it rest. I dont know if that is a good indicator and I don't know what temp is safe.

When I bought the boat I pulled it about 3 hours down the interstate and tried to keep it out of overdrive as much as possible. I got about 11 miles to the gallon on that trip. I have since bought a cover for it so it is more aerodynamic but everything will weigh a lot more when I travel North.

D3 might be a little challenging because it is Interstate highway most of the way. I tried D3 on the way home tonight and it seems that 55mph is about 3200 RPM. 65mph would probably be 3500 or greater.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have done that and plan to to it again. I bought a new 2000 Lx with trailer package and imediately rewired the hitch from 4 wire to 7 wire and pulled a Casita RV over 10000 miles since then. Estimated weight ~2500 lbs. I now have 79000 miles on the van with original transmission etc. A good portion of that mileage was on hills in Pa and W VA. As long as you drive using common sense I say do it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts