Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, we have a 2005 with 76000 miles on it.
We are looking at purchasing a popup trailer...appx weight will be 1000-1600 pounds or so. (Not a real large one)

Trans-cooler - Stealership parts cost seem to be appx 4-5 times that of an aftermarket one. Since we are already over our warrantee on the transmission should something happen, any downside of going with an aftermarket model?

Power steering cooler - Is one really necessary for towing a small popup?

We'll be getting a wds on the hitch if the trailer allows.

Just wondering what you folks think is necessary/overkill for towing a small trailer.

Thanks Much!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Try searching...all this stuff has been covered many times.

I dont think you need a cooler for that light pop-up, nor do you need a WDS. Even if your being super safe get the cooler and still skip the WDS.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, so we are picking up the trailer on Saturday. I am having the transmission cooler and brake controller put on tomrorrow, and the rv place and multiple other folks indicated that the power steerling cooler was not necessary. The popup we are getting is 1650 empty and 2450 GVW, so I'll see how it goes on the 130 mile ride on Saturday....if we are getting sway and the rear end is too low, I'll look at getting a small WDS, but every RV place I talk to says its a waste of money on such a small trailer and light tounge weight...we will see I guess.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
threesunsbrewin said:
... every RV place I talk to says its a waste of money on such a small trailer and light tounge weight...we will see I guess.
That is the key in my experience (with our 3 Odys, all w/ hitches), the tongue weight.

Even with a light tongue weight, the Ody tows nicely, straight ahead, up to 3,500 lbs. (or more...been there, through my own miscalculation) without a WDH. It's pretty stable on a flat highway, especially if there's no aero drag (bass boats, pop-up trailers, etc. have a nice low profile, which seems to help).

One thing I'll add...the relatively light rear end of the Ody can get pushed around a bit while trailering when performing "spirited" braking or with the transmission grade logic doing its work while going down a hill when towing something without a WDH or trailer brakes.

Add a crosswind to the above, and it can get to be a little bit of work. A light tongue weight on a heavy trailer (read that as having less inherent stability) can get scary in those particular abovementioned conditions. I'm going to eventually fit a set of brakes to my boat trailer to help with that, since it's in the 2,500-3,000 lb. range (with a very, very light tongue weight...I notice less stability when braking) every time I gas up and load it for a lake trip. I just drive carefully, and even more carefully in hill country....slow lane is your friend, let fast movers by.

I haven't needed a WDH, but kyledp (one of forum members) fitted a WDH to his pop-up...he noted enhanced stability in windy conditions (he towed with and without it, IIRC), and he feels it helped him remain upright when he had a really bad blowout while towing on the highway.

manualman uses a WDH as well on his "rig", and notes enhanced stability as well, even with the somewhat light (relatively speaking) tongue weight of his setup.

I just had a blowout recently on a high speed surface street at night (50 mph, piece of black concrete on an unlit asphalt road :( ), and the Ody by itself wasn't too unstable. I don't think I'd like having that happen while towing a ton of trailer or boat, but I'm still pondering whether to get a WDH or not...need to do other projects, and I think the trailer brakes will come higher up in the batting order of "things to do" at my house. Your new trailer probably already has those, though.

Check the threads on tranny coolers. These little, carry-on luggage-sized Honda trannys get way too hot, even on the best of days. I've recorded 200F ATF outlet temps (using a digital K thermocouple setup) and greater while towing nothing, on flat terrain, on a warm spring day. funfinder4 has seen 260F while towing, and he has two coolers in series (a tube-and-fin Hayden 401 and a plate-and-fin Hayden 678). I just installed a Hayden 676 on our recently acquired 1998 Accord for peace-of-mind (while replacing the timing belt).

OF

1 - 4 of 4 Posts