Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Invest a little into van or trade/sell for a truck

• Sell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Make the van what I need

• Run as fast as i can and find a truck

• Take my dogs and wife and tell the daughter she can have the van, while we run for the hills haha.

• Man up and make it happen for my grand baby. Van or truck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light Vehicle

2009 Honda Odyssey EXL RES/Nav 188k miles. Vcm disabled 3k miles ago but renabled vcm until I resolve catalytic code and srs light. No oil consumption issue or trans issues. Seems like a very solid vehicle my brother in law was kind enough to give me to fix a family emergency.
Oh and he drove the van while I was moving tools and I think he regrets giving it away for free. He said " this thing drives great! Even better than when it was mine". So safe to say I've figured out majority of the qwerks known with these vans but if love it to last atleast another 100k reliably which I can make happen as I am a mechanic by trade and routine maintenance and oil changes have proven over the years on my personal vehicles/friend/family has made them a believer in preventative maintenance and keeps me busy. Knock on wood only had to call for a tow 1 time on my own vehicle only because I tried to push my luck and a 300k original radiator said "Hell no not today" lol of course I was less than 10miles from home but funny part is tow ended up being free and I did some work on the towtruck drivers muscle cars which paid my rent, parts bill and a lol extra along with the occasional call asking if im I interested in tackling a side job. Win win for me as they were old chevys and they guy really wanted my mint 98 Suburban
Recently had to move most of my tools from storage. Looking into hitch options and trailer sizes as it was the roadtrip from hell to be honest. I figured a class 3 hitch with maybe 10-12ft long trailer enclosed preferred but probably have to go with open utility style.
My concerns are obviously adding ps and trans coolers, sway bars due to weight and probably have to opt for electric brakes. Will only be towing tools from jobs occasionally but am wondering if i should fix a few things on the van and sell for a more suitable truck/SUV that can haul a small camper ideally.
Here's a picture of my headache and surprisingly drove great with easily 1000lb toolbox w/tools in it. Plus tools stacked between seats in 2nd and 3rd row along with the in floor storage compartment stuffed. Oh and luckily i had my rooftop cargo bag otherwise personal items and baby stroller were not going to fit. And yes shame on me but my 2 dogs slept on top of my box the entire drive from NJ to NC. Actually impressed with suspension and handling considering I was nowhere withing what the manual specifies
Car Dog Vehicle Motor vehicle Head restraint

Dogs didn't mind. They slept on a $150 brand new padded crossbow bag and many blankets. They also had over almost 2 ft to the back of the 2nd row seats. And I raised the headrestss just as a precaution
Building Automotive lighting Lighting Electricity Font

D.C. traffic. Surrounded by semis for hours. Van ran perfect no trans issues or overheating. Although check engine light returned after almost 900miles for bank 2 catalytic converter so I suppose I'll have to look into it when I buy a new scan tool so I can figure out this intermittent SRS light that seems to have gone away when I put center console on the roof and slid outer 2nd row seat to the middle for more interior space. Coincidence maybe but for the cost of a dealership to diagnose 1 thing I can purchase the tool and have it for future needs. Foxwell nt510 for $140 on eBay which is for Honda/Acura and is bidirectional as well as capable of reading/resetting/programming all computer modules.
All I can say is I sure do miss my 98 Chevy suburban with over 300k miles but I must admit this odyssey drives like a dream compared to my truck. Let's just hope it's as durable/reliable
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Didn't tuck nearly as much as I expected thank god
Hood Motor vehicle Road surface Asphalt Waste containment

I dropped my box and waited 45min for a neighbor to help since I don't know anyone in the area

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Vcm disabled 3k miles ago but renabled vcm until I resolve catalytic code and srs light.
Why disable VCM? Not related to SRS light, and VCM could exasperate your cat condition.
There's a thread here somewhere to jumper the OBD connector to blink out the SRS code.:unsure: Involves jumper on pins 4&9 with key out, then ignition on and it should blink out the code(s). Also many vids on u-toob!
Do you need the 2nd row seats for passengers? Removing them would create more usable storage for stuff, and more room for the poopies!

Reactions: Odywannabe2020

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why disable VCM? Not related to SRS light, and VCM could exasperate your cat condition.
There's a thread here somewhere to jumper the OBD connector to blink out the SRS code.:unsure: Involves jumper on pins 4&9 with key out, then ignition on and it should blink out the code(s). Also many vids on u-toob!
Do you need the 2nd row seats for passengers? Removing them would create more usable storage for stuff, and more room for the poopies!
I wasnt sure if i could jump pins at the obd2 connector to retrieve srs codes like my old chevy or not. I'll have to look into that thanks you for the input
As far as 2nd row I need them for baby and wife's daughter. Although i had thought about removing 3rd row seats since i never use them and it would give me the space they consume folding into the floor.
Originally I had disabled vcm out of concern for oil consumption issues that were not actually an issue. But with vcm disabled it tricks the pcm into not reaching running temperature which the way I interpret it won't allow it do a drive cycle for the cats/sensors.
I prefer it disabled as it is much more responsive and less vibration when it activates.
I think during the trip I spilled oil directly into the a/f sensor connectors which may have cause the light to come on after I had driven 900 miles for it to come on shortly afterwards.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
But with vcm disabled it tricks the pcm into not reaching running temperature which the way I interpret it won't allow it do a drive cycle for the cats/sensors.
No! It reduces coolant temperature reported by 1 of 2 sensors- more info is here: The VCM Megathread - what is VCM, does my vehicle have... (Did your dogs tell you it would hurt the cats?) :ROFLMAO:
..had thought about removing 3rd row seats since i never use them..
(y) Reduces weight along with more storage space. With a plywood cover you can still have the flat floorspace.

Reactions: Odywannabe2020
1 - 4 of 4 Posts