Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased a shadow cruiser 18FBR with a weighed dry weight of 2900lbs. Will be pulling with a 2007 and one child. I was told by many that it would be fine, but am now concerned. Any thoughts?? I will be using a Reese WD Hitch with anti-sway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I tow a 2006 Surveyor sl180t (hybrid travel trailer) that has a gross weight of 3500 lb, unloaded weight of 2700 lb, dry weight of 2400 lb. Tow with the 2007 odyssey and it tows OK. I put in hd transmission cooler, brake controller and use weight distributing hitch so it tows very stable and stops well. Would be nice to have more power though :), we pack light and travel with all tanks empty but are probably still near max capacity for this van.

The trailer you mention appears to have a gross weight of 4500 lb according to google :).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I too plan to tow empty of water/fluids and since only two of us it would be light packing. I'm going from tenting and doing minimal packing with that to trailer pulling, so am not expecting load this up.

I am talking with the dealer about doing a successful tow before we finalize the deal as I don't want to get into something I can't use and am not about to blow my Honda's transmission.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm towing 3,400# just fine, although I had some inside rear tire wear after a long trip, so I pulled out the 3rd row seat. I also use a WDH.

I would get your trailer weighed just to confirm the traveling weight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. This is great to have other Odyssey people to talk to.

The dealer is putting the unit on a scale tomorrow morning (taking it there with a picker truck) to find out what its actual weight is as is - I'll let you know what it is.

I feel better about towing it now after talking to others and am aware I won't maintain full speed going up steep hills, just don't want to power down so much that I'm reving the heck out of the engine to get up hill.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I usually pass most other towed trailers and trucks going up hills! The Ody is a very good towing vehicle for up to 3,500#.

I do limit my speed to 60 MPH though, as a safety and fuel saving measure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They weighed the trailer this morning and it came in at 3475 lb. This was fulled loaded with with 40 lbs propane and water tanks full.

Even if I drive without water it only brings the weight down to 3075, so I'm not sure now if I should be buying this. I'm assuming with 1 adult and 1 youth I will be putting in 200 - 300 lbs, which is really taking me to the limit.

I am going to do a test pull tomorrow on a couple of good hills there to see. My worry is how well the transmission will handle it with a long day of driving, even with the extra cooler attached.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I removed both the second and third row seats, and with two of us we are at the towing max and are right at the GCWR of 8,410#. At that it performs very well with 15.6 MPG average of 14 trips and 14,000 miles.

However if you want a larger margin you should definitely look for a vehicle like a F150 that tows 5,000# I believe.

For us the Ody is a perfect towing and non-towing vehicle.

Good luck.

·
Registered
135 Posts
BigFoot48--When you're towing, does your Ody ride smoothly or is there some change to the ride feel compared to non-towing?

I don't want to say mine "bounces" because it doesn't really bounce--it's more like a "herky-jerky" feel when I'm towing.

I pull a boat/motor/trailer where the boat & motor is about 1200 to 1300 lbs (loaded) and the trailer can't be more than 300 or so...The total weight is definitely less than 2,000 lbs.

I also found poor wear on the rear tires after a short summer season of towing last year. My mechanic says it's not due to the suspension, but to a badly done alignment.

I had a new alignment done and also put air-lifts in this year. The lifts have definitely helped with the sag, but there's no change in the ride/feel when towing.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I don't have that kind of result when towing, and I think the weight distributing hitch makes all the difference. Mine moves 450# off the rear axle and moves 250# to the Ody front axle and 200# to the trailer axle. The entire rig is level and rides smooth.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks BigFoot48...I can see how a WDH would help, especially with a heavy load. You're towing a lot more than I am.

How does your Ody do in terms of power? You stated you pass a lot of others trailers and trucks on hills. Do you have to put it in D3 a lot? I find I'm often in D3 given that I'm in Connecticut and usually seeing rolling, if not consistent hills.

My Ody is at 87K and I'm starting to think I may need to rearrange the fleet---maybe a pickup or SUV to replace it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I really don't have a problem with power. It accelerates well and climbs hills with little effort. I leave it in OD and cruise control most of the time at 60 MPH. On rolling hills I might take it out of cruise control, but only shut off OD when I need some braking going down a steep hill.

Have you considered your toungue weight as a source of your ride problems? Mine is about 550# before using the WDH which essentially reduces it to about 200# after adding in the WDH weight itself. Really, I hardly know the thing in back there riding down a level road.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Amazing how we have such different experiences. The WDH could be helping on the smoothness of the ride, but it would appear I've got less power.

I don't know the exact tongue weight, but I do know I can lift it myself, so it can't be any more than 100 lbs or so. I'll have to haul the bath scale and a couple of 2x4s out and check for sure.

I do have the hitch and trailer level. And the air lifts have made the un-hitched ride noticeably better.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Interesting. What year is your Ody? Perhaps your tongue is too light, that can lead to sway problems.

Other people towing a Casita with an Odyessey seem to have satisfactory results similar to mine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, I pulled the trailer, but the rpms were 3800 - 4000 at 60mph. I pulled in D3 with OD off as that's what the manual says to do.

What rpm do you guys get when you pull and I thought it's not suppose to be pulled in over drive.

Comments?

·
Registered
348 Posts
I pull in OD at 60 and the RPMs are 1,800 usually, up to 2,200 with a head wind. I also use cruise control.

I don't recall any prohibition in the manual on the use of OD, but if there is, I will ignore it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've only towed the boat back from the storage yard so far this season...Hope to take it out to a nearby lake tomorrow. I'll try to pay attention to RPMS / speed and report later.

I think my Ody's performance is closer to Corky's. I definitely find I need to be in D3 for hilly areas, but could run in OD on relatively level highway stretches.

I did a kind-of check of tongue-weight---used a bath scale but checked weight about a foot short of the coupler-- used the swing-away foot (whatever you call the thing that extends down for storage). The weight there was 130 lbs.

If I've got my middle school physics right, the weight at the end is about 115 lbs--about 7% of GTW. So I think I'm OK here...and there's no side-to-side sway...Just a constant "hesitation" feeling when I'm rolling down the road.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I did not tow the boat too far, but I did find I was at about 2000 rpm at 60-65 mph on relatively flat stretches in OD. I was in D3 in the off-highway hilly sections and was at 3000 - 3500 at about 45 on the hills.

The feel was better this time (with air lifts) compared to last summer, but there's still some "lack of smoothness" in the ride while towing...I may just be expecting too much.

I'll probably keep the van through the summer and then see about an upgrade--to a 4WD or AWD-vehicle. It's really been a great vehicle.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I tow a tent trailer with my 2005 EX. It's 1650 unloaded and has a maximum weight of 2200 pounds. The times I've weighed it on a scale it's been in the 1800-2000 range.

I definitely know it's back there, but the Odyssey tows it fine. On big hills I go into D3, but on the flats I'm in D and use cruise control.

On highways with expansion joints we get some feedback through the hitch and bounce a bit. I've only been towing the trailer for six months or so and will evaluate a weight-distributing hitch after seeing how it tows on a 2,000 mile trip to Yellowstone this summer.

One thing I've noticed is that where I put the weight in the trailer relative to the trailer axle makes a difference, as does how much weight I have in the rear of the Ody. Putting some weight in the back of the van and making sure there's not too much weight behind the trailer axle helps with the "bounce" factor.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts