Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Get an external oil cooler installed. I'm not sure I would use the 9 speed for that if you're anywhere within your powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there is no aftermarket tranny cooler available for 2018 odyssey, but my main concern is would u let tranny on auto or limit it from going into 8 or 9 speed

·
Registered
360 Posts
there is no aftermarket tranny cooler available for 2018 odyssey, but my main concern is would u let tranny on auto or limit it from going into 8 or 9 speed
While you are under warranty, do not install a oil cooler, the tranny requires to run at optimum temperature to perform right, adding a oil cooler will change it's operating temperature. These newer tranny's are more particular about temperature than older vehicles that could use the help. Also do not exceed your ODY's tow rate, it drastically changes the height on you rear end and requires more of the tranny and engine.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I would consult the manual for any specific towing procedures. It seems like the vehicle is smart enough to know there is an additional load and use the appropriate gearing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would consult the manual for any specific towing procedures. It seems like the vehicle is smart enough to know there is an additional load and use the appropriate gearing.
i agree that is the logical thing to do but the manual only tells u your towing limits nothing about proper use of tranny, so i guess the correct answer must be to trust the tranny will know what gear to be in with the trailer . thank u all for your information

·
Registered
419 Posts
Of course, it never hurts to help the vehicle out a little bit.
Use sport mode and manually select a gear if the transmission is hunting when climbing hills, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bandit 400, i think thats good advive, i think ill use auto on the hiway, and as u said use lower gear on inclines if necssary

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here is my towing experience with my 2018 EX-L. It never is fun:

Several times I have towed various enclosed U-Haul trailers up to a dual-axle 5x10. I also frequently tow my very low clearance Kendon folding motorcycle trailer. The total weight of the contents haven't been over 1,200 lbs. or so.

My problem is that the rear springs sag so quickly. This causes the front of the trailer or hitch assembly to easily drag on things like gutters or the crown of a dirt road. It also means that very little tongue weight will result in the front of the vehicle rising, creating a traction problem on dirt roads. In my situation, I am usually distributing 5 gallon jugs of water along the course of long distance foot races through Ntl. Forests. I travel on nothing worse than gravel Forest Service roads in very good condition, but there have been several times I was concerned about traction going uphill due to the front tires being so light.

As of this day, I do not know of anyone that makes air bags for the 5th. generation Odyssey. They now have tapered rear springs, so bags for the 4th. generation will not fit correctly. Some manufacturer's charts incorrectly state that their bags will fit the later models, but I have found this to not to be the case. If someone has successfully installed them, please let me know what brand they are!

In my opinion, the only way I would attempt to tow a trailer long distances with my Odyssey would be if I were using a load distributing hitch and made sure I was traveling only paved roads. I'm pretty sure that type of hitch would only be a 3 or 4 inches above the road surface, as the rear of the van is still going to squat significantly with just a few hundred pounds of weight inside.

If I am wrong about any of this, please let me know. I've been eyeing an Airstream Base Camp, but am afraid it will push my Odyssey near its limits just by hooking it up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is my towing experience with my 2018 EX-L. It never is fun:

Several times I have towed various enclosed U-Haul trailers up to a dual-axle 5x10. I also frequently tow my very low clearance Kendon folding motorcycle trailer. The total weight of the contents haven't been over 1,200 lbs. or so.

My problem is that the rear springs sag so quickly. This causes the front of the trailer or hitch assembly to easily drag on things like gutters or the crown of a dirt road. It also means that very little tongue weight will result in the front of the vehicle rising, creating a traction problem on dirt roads. In my situation, I am usually distributing 5 gallon jugs of water along the course of long distance foot races through Ntl. Forests. I travel on nothing worse than gravel Forest Service roads in very good condition, but there have been several times I was concerned about traction going uphill due to the front tires being so light.

As of this day, I do not know of anyone that makes air bags for the 5th. generation Odyssey. They now have tapered rear springs, so bags for the 4th. generation will not fit correctly. Some manufacturer's charts incorrectly state that their bags will fit the later models, but I have found this to not to be the case. If someone has successfully installed them, please let me know what brand they are!

In my opinion, the only way I would attempt to tow a trailer long distances with my Odyssey would be if I were using a load distributing hitch and made sure I was traveling only paved roads. I'm pretty sure that type of hitch would only be a 3 or 4 inches above the road surface, as the rear of the van is still going to squat significantly with just a few hundred pounds of weight inside.

If I am wrong about any of this, please let me know. I've been eyeing an Airstream Base Camp, but am afraid it will push my Odyssey near its limits just by hooking it up.
i have a ultra lite 19 ft travel trailer 2760 lbs, when i first hooked to my 2018 ody i knew it would be too low. i read about the best way to tow is to buy an equalizer brand weight distribution hitch, i got lucky and found an $750 hitch for sale on craigs list for $225 used. wow what a differance raised rear by tranfering more weight to front axles to ballance load works great

1 - 13 of 13 Posts