Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is interesting that the 2002 manual says that the Honda transmission and power steering coolers must be installed in order to tow anything.

In the 2001 manual you are allowed to tow up to 2000lbs without the transmission cooler.

Does the 2002 odyssey come with a power steering cooler?
It looks like Honda doesn't want any one installing aftermarket coolers.

I might have to change my username looks like others are using close sounding names. Hows "NemoKonarskiPoodleluver3" sound?

------------------
Edmonton, Alberta
2001 Fern LX

[This message has been edited by Canodyssey (edited 09-24-2001).]

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
The 2002 comes with a small power steering cooler -- as do most modern AT vehicles. The 2002 towing package includes a larger H.D. power steering cooler to replace the original, and an add-on transmission cooler.

[This message has been edited by sinbad (edited 09-24-2001).]

·
Registered
564 Posts
I would think that hauling 1000 pounds of people in the van would be more effort for the trans and steering than towing, say, a 500-pound trailer.

You can change your name to anything, but don't do "darellddd" I can't take any more d's

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Canodyssey:
It is interesting that the 2002 manual says that the Honda transmission and power steering coolers must be installed in order to tow anything.

</font>
I can fully understand the need for an aux transmission cooler while towing a trailer, especially one that weights toward the vehicles upper limits. I can also understand why a power steering system might need a cooling system of some kind.

Can someone please explain to me why a power steering system would need any more cooling capacity while the vehicle is pulling a trailer than it would need at any other time? I just can't see there being any more load on the steering system regardless of whether or not a trailer is involved. I could argue that there might be less, as with the added weight on the back of the car, there's potentially less weight on the front wheels but I really don't think it's significant.

Any ideas?

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX
Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, transmission cooler, in-dash CD player, Kelton subwoofer, under seat storage tray.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't know of any "Towing package" Honda offers. At least my dealer claims their is no such thing. I'm still waiting on my 2002 Oddy. Part of my deal is for them to install a trailer hitch, tranny cooler, and wiring harness. They never said anything about a power steering cooler.

Is there such a thing as a "Towing Package?"

Does the bigger power steering cooler automatically come with the hitch assembly?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I don't know of any "Towing package" Honda offers. At least my dealer claims their is no such thing.</font>
The trailer hitch for 2002 comes as a kit: hitch (no ball), tranny cooler, power steering cooler.

That's the "towing package". Honda doesn't call it as such, but that's what it is.

Your salesman is dumber than a box of rocks if he couldn't grasp what you were asking.

I repeat: car dealerships are skanky, by definition. It's the wild wild west out there. Buyer beware.

·
Registered
32 Posts
adam1991. Thanks for the info. You wouldn't happen to know the price of the towinig package? I'd like to know if I got taken to the cleaners!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just got off the phone with the dealer. Now she says "Oh ya, power steering fluid cooler comes with the hitch." She claims her cost only for hitch and the two coolers is $867.00.

It sounds like I got a good deal based on her figures.

I previously negotiated a price of $1100.00 for:
Trailer Hitch
(not negotiated but appearently Power Steering Fluid Cooler)
Tranny Cooler
Roof Rack Cross Bars
2 Bike Attachments with Kits
Block Heater
Splash Guards

All Installed at time of delivery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Intrepid175:
Can someone please explain to me why a power steering system would need any more cooling capacity while the vehicle is pulling a trailer than it would need at any other time? I just can't see there being any more load on the steering system regardless of whether or not a trailer is involved. I could argue that there might be less, as with the added weight on the back of the car, there's potentially less weight on the front wheels but I really don't think it's significant.

Any ideas?
</font>
I asked the same question to my dealer, and they said when towing heavier loads, the engine compartment gets hotter than normal, and the increased cooler is needed under these hotter conditions.

I guess this sounds reasonable, but then why do they not recommend the larger steering cooler for hotter climates???

·
Registered
564 Posts
Good question. Seems like you'd need the cooler if you drove your (even) empty van up steep hills a lot.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry Michelle just having my fun.

I was just pointing out that others have names one letter away from Canodyssey which can get confusing. The irony of picking a name like NemoKonarskiPoodleluver3 is that it would confuse things more.

I know I must get out more...

------------------
Edmonton, Alberta
2001 Fern LX

·
Registered
478 Posts
Yeah, the power steering cooler upgrade makes NO sense to me at all. A heavy duty radiator, alternator, brake upgrade and of course trans cooler I understand but power steering...? Oh well, if it's part of the "towing package" I guess it can't hurt.

·
Registered
91 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bt:
I just got off the phone with the dealer. Now she says "Oh ya, power steering fluid cooler comes with the hitch." She claims her cost only for hitch and the two coolers is $867.00.B]</font>

My dealer quoted me a price in the mid $800 range for the hitch & ball and 2 coolers installed, but is waiting for a Honda's official installation time/charge for the 2002 towing "package" before we proceed.

H&A shows the 2002 tow package at $429.60 for the parts, and you know they have a profit margin built into that price. Using your figures, $867-$429 leaves $438 for the labor/$75per hour (the going rate?)= 5.84 hours to install everything. Seems a little steep, but with all the stuff crammed into the engine compartment it may well take that long. With the coolers service pretty major parts of your car I think it's worth it to have them do the install and be covered by your full warrantee period.
------------------------------------------------------------------
’86 Civic – gone
, but not forgotten
’90 4Runner – great, but lacking for a family of 5
’02 GG Odyssey EX-L-RES – hello, my new best friend

tnuckels

1 - 14 of 14 Posts