Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the "HONDA/ACURA: 1998+ ACCORD, ALL 1999-2000+ MODELS EXCEPT PASSPORT - COMPATIBLE CHANGER PLUG IN TYPE II (6 DISC) [DELUXE WITH AUX INPUT]" along with the "BKMWB6 Power Antenna Remote Mount (For Tight Areas)" about a week ago.

Today I received an Alpine 620 changer with the peripheral adapter (HONIL) which I am virtually certain has no AUX in. Am I right about this?

My order also has the antenna marked "B/O" (which I assume means back-ordered because it's not in the box). I have already been charged for the full amount, however, there is no indication of when I might get it.

------------------
Lorax
'01 SS EX-Navi
Leather Interior, Wings West Kit and lots of other mods.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hmmm, Toyman disappears when there's a problem?

Really, I'm only kidding. I've gotten good service from Autotoys.

Lorax,

If you haven't gotten a response yet enter it here:

http://www.autotoys.com/contact/

I did on Tuesday and got response within 24 hrs.

Bob

·
Registered
148 Posts
Sorry guys, we'll try to visit these forums more frequently, but we have some projects which must be met. I'll continue to comment and answer questions.

[This message has been edited by toyman (edited 06-26-2001).]

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, I should have posted an update. I am being sent the correct changer (should be here Thursday by the tracking number) along with a return label for the wrong one.

The response time on my e-mail and the problem resolution was very good (under 24 hours). However, I hope the power antenna is also in the box. My questions about the back-order status were not directly answered.

------------------
Lorax
'01 SS EX-Navi

·
Registered
103 Posts
Speaking of antenna's, does anyone know where to get a wrench that fits the indents of that funky top nut on Honda's? My '94 Accord's power antenna has about had it, so I bought a non-powered Honda replacement. I've thought about trying to jam needlenose pliers into remove the old one, if possible, but don't want to do that to install the new one. I've looked at Crutchfield and Autotoys but have not been able to find anything.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know if the same tool is used for the Accord, but the Odyssey manual calls for special tool #07XAA-0010200.

You can order it from HandA for a little over $11.

------------------
Lorax
'01 SS EX-Navi

·
Registered
276 Posts
You can get a set from here: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=41476

You can also use a screwdriver and a hammer to remove the socket by tapping each notch in sequence, just don't hammer it too hard.

Lorax, I don't believe the remote mount antenna that you ordered would fit. I found a local supplier that carries them, it requires 10.5" clearance under the fender. You may want to measure how much room there are, but I am quite sure it's not enough.

-Harry

·
Registered
148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lorax:
Actually, I should have posted an update. I am being sent the correct changer (should be here Thursday by the tracking number) along with a return label for the wrong one.

The response time on my e-mail and the problem resolution was very good (under 24 hours). However, I hope the power antenna is also in the box. My questions about the back-order status were not directly answered.

</font>

I tried to research your order. Sorry about the error. Originally we had the HONDA TYPE II changer as an ALPINE based package, we now use another type of changer with AUX IN.

If I am looking at the right order, the antenna has already shipped (see tracking # via service area). A note about this, the black unit has been discontinued by the manufacturer. We shipped you the chrome unit (which is the only available) now and credited your account the difference.

------------------

Here to help

·
Registered
148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sdp:
Speaking of antenna's, does anyone know where to get a wrench that fits the indents of that funky top nut on Honda's? My '94 Accord's power antenna has about had it, so I bought a non-powered Honda replacement. I've thought about trying to jam needlenose pliers into remove the old one, if possible, but don't want to do that to install the new one. I've looked at Crutchfield and Autotoys but have not been able to find anything.</font>

We use a snap on set. But it is VERY EXPENSIVE, over $70.00 for the set.

Here is a picture of it

You can also use a spacer ring tool which is cheap (mac, craftsman and snap on sells it) - we use mac. Here is a picture of it.

If you do not want to spend money and confident that you will NOT be using the head of the original antenna, use a pair of vice grips to get the top of the holder off.

We recommend that you TAPE OFF THE ENTIRE SURROUND of the area around the antenna with MASKING tape to prevent scratching your car with accidental slips.

In the past, when we left our tools home, we were able to use a flat head screwdriver with small ball hammer and very delicately loosen the nut (once it is loose, you can twist it off) -- courage and a certain degree of handiness of tools is recommended before you take it off this way.

------------------

Here to help

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hgani,

I hope that the power antenna can be used with less clearance than 10.5".

The 'regular' power antennas require 11.5". A 1" difference doesn't seem like much of an improvement.

Hopefully, it'll be here Thursday (with the changer) and I'll check the fit this weekend.

------------------
Lorax
'01 SS EX-Navi

·
Registered
276 Posts
The difference between the two is not much because both use semi rigid inner plastic rod to push and pull the sections. Both type has the same number of sections and about the same length. Remote mount antenna is designed for narrow fender not shallow fender.

-Harry

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That makes sense. I wish that I had known that before I ordered it.

That's one suggestion for Autotoys - provide more actual dimensions of their products. Often they use $100 bills to provide a frame of reference which is helpful, but real dimensions would be more useful.

------------------
Lorax
'01 SS EX-Navi

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks Lorax, Harry and Toyman for your suggestions. This forum is awesome. I'm confident I can get the old one off by hook or by crook, it's getting the new one on without damaging anything that's the worry. Now I just have to figure out which one of your suggestions to go with.

------------------
Steve
'01 GG EX w/ 2900 miles
Towing package, fog lights, KB subwoofer, leather steering wrap, splash guards, cargo tray, wheel locks, cross bars, Pioneer speakers

·
Registered
148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hgani:
$20 plus shipping from Harbor-Freight is very cheap.

-Harry
</font>

That is a super fantastic deal, but still, for the average joe, $20.00 for a set of sockets which they will use once is probably too much money.

------------------

Here to help

·
Registered
276 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by toyman:

That is a super fantastic deal, but still, for the average joe, $20.00 for a set of sockets which they will use once is probably too much money.

</font>
Compare to what the Dealer or audio shop such as yours would charge, yes, it's cheap.
Serious Do-it-yourselfer will use proper tools to do the job, unlike the average joe. Most of members in this forums are or will be serious do-it-yourselfer by helping each other.

-Harry

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well the remote mount antenna arrived today. It actually says right on the box that it requires 11-1/2" under the fender. Needless to say, there's no way it will fit. The situation is just as you described, hgani - it's good for narrow (but tall) locations and not short locations like the Odyssey.

Incidentally, I received and installed the CD changer. I also installed the Kelton subwoofer (from HandA) - it really rounds out the sound. I installed both under the driver's seat. I used a somewhat unorthodox cantilevered mount for the changer, but it looks cool - like its floating above the carpet. Everything works great.

As soon as I get the DVD player installed, I'll test the AUX in and the video on navi.

The search for a power antenna continues.

------------------
Lorax
'01 SS EX-Navi

1 - 20 of 21 Posts