Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyman:
I read on other post that you guys are putting 6x9s in the back door because you guys are setting up a DVD system that uses 5.1. Can you give us more information about the video system you guys are putting in the Ody ?

I have bought three LCD monitors but haven't got them installed yet. I plan to put a monitor where the radio is and relocate the radio to the cup holders in the drawer below. Do you think that is possible ? Also, I want to input the sound of the video into the Ody's sound system, which head unit will allow me to do that ? I am currently looking at the Sony CDX-M620. Is that a good deck ? Will it give me what I want ? (good sound, no skipping, and video sound input..etc).
Lastly, about video source switching. I plan to have a VCR and a Playstation to go with the video system. Since I have three monitors, I want to be able to watch both sources at different monitors. ( My wife watches Tape infront and my son plays playstation in the back ). All three monitors only have one video input each so I guess I must have some sort of swithcing device. Also, will it be possible to add a back-up camera so that whenever I swift to reverse, the screen infront will automatically switch to the camera and show me what's behind? And if I have enough money, I want to add the Alpine navigation system. How may I add that to the video system ?

Sorry for having so much questions but I hope you and other very helpful people could help me out.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Toyman:
I read on other post that you guys are putting 6x9s in the back door because you guys are setting up a DVD system that uses 5.1. Can you give us more information about the video system you guys are putting in the Ody ?
I have bought three LCD monitors but haven't got them installed yet. I plan to put a monitor where the radio is and relocate the radio to the cup holders in the drawer below. Do you think that is possible ? Also, I want to input the sound of the video into the Ody's sound system, which head unit will allow me to do that ? I am currently looking at the Sony CDX-M620. Is that a good deck ? Will it give me what I want ? (good sound, no skipping, and video sound input..etc).
Lastly, about video source switching. I plan to have a VCR and a Playstation to go with the video system. Since I have three monitors, I want to be able to watch both sources at different monitors. ( My wife watches Tape infront and my son plays playstation in the back ). All three monitors only have one video input each so I guess I must have some sort of swithcing device. Also, will it be possible to add a back-up camera so that whenever I swift to reverse, the screen infront will automatically switch to the camera and show me what's behind? And if I have enough money, I want to add the Alpine navigation system. How may I add that to the video system ?

Sorry for having so much questions but I hope you and other very helpful people could help me out.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Good questions. First, what kind of monitors do you have. Because of the shape in the Odyssey, putting the monitors in the headrest requires a little work and choosing the right product. It curves off to the right/left and top and bottom (not flat)

Here is a picture of some SONY XVM42s we have mounted

I will break down your question with answers below. If you do not understand any part of it or if you cannot find the parts you need locallly, we can help you find them at autotoys.com (we stock heavily into a/v products)

Originally posted by lookinco:

*** We used the LANZAR/PYLE DVD player which is the only unit that is outputing in 5.1 DIGITAL dolby. It has 5 outputs, Front, Rear and Subwoofer (stereo for front and rear). You can switch this unit into stereo mode. If you are not going to use separate amplifiers for all of these channels, I recommend the AUTOTOYS DVD which is SUPER COMPACT or the unit from Peripheral. These units will also play MP3s decoded off CDRs, play VCDS and CDS (so you may not need a CD player)

I have bought three LCD monitors but haven't got them installed yet. I plan to put a monitor where the radio is and relocate the radio to the cup holders in the drawer below. Do you think that is possible ? Also, I want to input the sound of the video into the Ody's sound system, which head unit will allow me to do that ? I am currently looking at the Sony CDX-M620. Is that a good deck ?

**The 620 is an excellent deck. Sony finally made it detachable (yay!). However, I recommend a PIONEER DECK with CD changer control with a CD RB10 or CD RB20 AUX adapter (MISC DEPARTMENT) which will feed sound directly into your system or a Panasonic radio such as the 701 or 801 which has AUX inputs built in (RCA LEFT AND RIGHT). I do not know the size of your monitors so I cannot comment on installation. To be fair, it may be cheaper to buy a unit like the Panasonic in dash 707 (search under 707) player. Although these units are QUITE pricey, they will feed your back monitors, have AM/FM/ built in, will take VCR/DVD input and also feed your back monitors.

If you want to go ALL MONITORS. There is also available AM/FM tuners now which requires external amps, so you can have NO RADIO at all in your van, just monitors and everything will be on screen. If you guys are considering navigation, I SERIOUSLY ask you to wait for Pioneer's new DVD NAVIGATION system. This system will work off ONE DVD and will have the ENTIRE US and CANADA on one CD and is voice controlled! It will also play DVDs and feed it into your monitors (whoa!)

Will it give me what I want ? (good sound, no skipping, and video sound input..etc).

Lastly, about video source switching. I plan to have a VCR and a Playstation to go with the video system. Since I have three monitors, I want to be able to watch both sources at different monitors. ( My wife watches Tape infront and my son plays playstation in the back ). All three monitors only have one video input each so I guess I must have some sort of swithcing device.

See the AUTO A/V department at http://store.autotoys.com - there are 2 video switchers. Depending on your budget and how many monitors you want switched, one will suit your needs.

Also, will it be possible to add a back-up camera so that whenever I swift to reverse, the screen infront will automatically switch to the camera and show me what's behind?

** 2 cameras available. Both color. One is pinhole and one is widelens. A lot of people are using the PINHOLE one and REMOVING THE REAR KEYHOLE LOCK and placing the camera in there. This may work for you also.

And if I have enough money, I want to add the Alpine navigation system. How may I add that to the video system ?

** Sorry, we have limited experience in Alpine.

------------------

Here to help

·
Registered
148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lookinco:
Toyman:

</font>

Oh, since you are using more than 2 monitors, you will also need a video amplifier. We had problems with our monitor brightness using more than 2 monitors. These boosters will boost the video signal.

As for the VCR, if you want to watch TV, find one with a built in TV TUNER. Saves time, Saves space. Saves money.

You can mount 2 devices under the 2 front seats (remove passenger side compartment)
Velcro is fine, just use a lot of it. It will be a snug fit anyway.

------------------

Here to help

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for the helpful informations. But I still have a few more questions

Out of the three monitors that I have bought, two of them are flip-down ones which I plan to install one infront of each of the back row. For the other one, it's 7" x 5" x 1" which I decide to install it where the radio is. ( I believe it will fit since you said you tried installing a similar setup on another customer's car. ) Now about the radio, since I already bought the monitor, I will not consider getting a 707. However, I am seriosuly considering the Panasonic CQ-DF601 since it has RCA inputs for the video and it looks pretty nice. Now the question, does Panasonic make good deck ? Is the 601 good ?
About the DVD player, I am not considering of getting one yet because I am now waiting for the NEW PIONEER navigation system with DVD. I plan to use one of my home VCR with a power inverter and plug the Playstation output into the VCR input so I can just switch between the two on the VCR.
Luckily, the VCR fit nicely under the driver seat. But there is a problem, since the VCR is under the seat, it's so hard to control it with the remote. Are there anything that will allow me to exten the range or extend the Infarad receiver to a place where it's easy to aim at ?

I will add a video amplifer to boost the signal from the VCR to the three monitors. That's basically how I plan to install my system. Please examine it to see if there's any flaw. If you have any suggestion regarding my system, please tell me.

About the sound, I saw one of the member on this forum installed 6x9 on the rear doors and some tweeteres in the back. (I saw them on Tealplant's car in the gallery section.) Which speakers/tweeters would you recommand ?

One VERY LAST question. ( A STUPID
ONE
) What is an amplifier ? Do I need them ? Also, don't forget to update us on the 6x9 on the rear door. !!

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yeah, forgot about the camera. How may I hook up the camera so that it will AUTOMATICALLY show up on the screen when I shift into reverse ?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thank you so much for the helpful informations. But I still have a few more questions

Out of the three monitors that I have bought, two of them are flip-down ones which I plan to install one infront of each of the back row. For the other one, it's 7" x 5" x 1" which I decide to install it where the radio is. ( I believe it will fit since you said you tried installing a similar setup on another customer's car. ) Now about the radio, since I already bought the monitor, I will not consider getting a 707. However, I am seriosuly considering the Panasonic CQ-DF601 since it has RCA inputs for the video and it looks pretty nice. Now the question, does Panasonic make good deck ? Is the 601 good ?
About the DVD player, I am not considering of getting one yet because I am now waiting for the NEW PIONEER navigation system with DVD. I plan to use one of my home VCR with a power inverter and plug the Playstation output into the VCR input so I can just switch between the two on the VCR.
Luckily, the VCR fit nicely under the driver seat. But there is a problem, since the VCR is under the seat, it's so hard to control it with the remote. Are there anything that will allow me to exten the range or extend the Infarad receiver to a place where it's easy to aim at ?

I will add a video amplifer to boost the signal from the VCR to the three monitors. That's basically how I plan to install my system. Please examine it to see if there's any flaw. If you have any suggestion regarding my system, please tell me.

About the sound, I saw one of the member on this forum installed 6x9 on the rear doors and some tweeteres in the back. (I saw them on Tealplant's car in the gallery section.) Which speakers/tweeters would you recommand ?

One VERY LAST question. ( A STUPID
ONE
) What is an amplifier ? Do I need them ? Also, don't forget to update us on the 6x9 on the rear door. !!
</font>
I would simple remote the factory radio and place the monitor in, the radio is very easily removed in the odyssey,pry out the surround, take ou tthe 8mm screws and bam. Its out.

The Panasonic deck, 601 series up is EXCELLENT decks. Not good decks, EXCELLENT radios.

Repeater problem. Yes, there are Infrared repeaters. Search under IRX or REPEATER at http://store.autotoys.com - It will allow you to place a little transmitter next to your VCR and then you can place the VCR anywhere in your car. The repeater will do the rest. Best thing of all, it is fairly cheap.

I haven't seen the pictures of that vehicle. My choice would be to add your speakers without the tweeters, listen to your car first, then consider adding tweeters to the back. If you do it all at once, it may sound too bright and you may regret it later (and the holes and money will be spent already)

Well, it seems like you have spent a lot of money in your car already. You may consider a small 4 channel amplifier such as the SONY 754 (search under 754) or something similar. This is your choice. The radio already outputs a lot of power. The one thing you are short on in your van is space. You run out of space very quickly (you may think you have a lot of space because it is a van), but actually you do not because you cannot put it under any of the rear seats if you fold down your seats or remove the middle seats.

------------------

Here to help

·
Registered
148 Posts
Oh yeah, forgot about the camera. How may I hook up the camera so that it will AUTOMATICALLY show up on the screen when I shift into reverse ?</font>
Now this is something we have not tried yet. (thanks for asking)

There is a switcher we sell by Peripheral. Search under SIGNAL SWITCHER at http://store.autotoys.com which will take 4 RCA plugs and switch between them when a sense wire is on (IE: your reverse lights) - HOWEVER, this is an AUDIO SWITCHER, I am unclear if this will work at all since we are switching VIDEO.

------------------

Here to help

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by toyman:
Because of the shape in the Odyssey, putting the monitors in the headrest requires a little work and choosing the right product. It curves off to the right/left and top and bottom (not flat)

</font>
One possible alternative is swapping the Odys headrest with ones from a 2001 Accord. But please note - it does bring up some issues about matching it with the interior/fabric & how it changes the headrest's performance in an accident. But the Accord headrests are shaped perfectly for a flat larger LCD screen. Just wanted to let you know.

-nemogira

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have thought about getting the accord headrest too but I decided that it's too much trouble so I just went for the Flip-down ones. but Thanks anyways.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Toyman, can you give me more info on the back-up camera at autotoys ? What's the best way to install it ? You mentioned about the key hole, can you tell me more about it ?

·
Registered
92 Posts
If doing the Odyssey headrests with display(s) consider the Clarion HRM-100 monitor mount. I've seen them done in the Odyssey and they look really nice. They are less invasive than other monitor mounts with your headrest material and don't require screws or glue, only 4 tie wraps. The mount can hold three different types of Clarion monitors.

·
Registered
148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nemogira:
One possible alternative is swapping the Odys headrest with ones from a 2001 Accord. But please note - it does bring up some issues about matching it with the interior/fabric & how it changes the headrest's performance in an accident. But the Accord headrests are shaped perfectly for a flat larger LCD screen. Just wanted to let you know.

-nemogira

</font>

Thats a great suggestion. Is it a direct fit? We did try the rear headrest off the rear seats (which are flat), unfortunately the spacing for the 'stems' were not the same.

------------------

Here to help

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey Toyman, can you give me more info on the back-up camera at autotoys ? What's the best way to install it ? You mentioned about the key hole, can you tell me more about it ?</font>
The pinhole camera is very popular with people who drive sedans. They remove the key holder (opening) from the back of the vehicle and insert the camera behind a small piece of plexi or plastic.

It may or may not work for you depending on where you want to look when you backup and where your keyhole is located (and also if you can provide/make the space needed for the unit).

You may also consider enclosing the camera in a separate pod. You can see this type of installation on the new Infinity Q45 left of the license plate (they have a backup camera there).

See it here on the Infinity Web site

http://www.infiniti.com/discover/ModelLineAttributes/0,9280,637|184|,00.html

Just some ideas...

------------------

Here to help

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by toyman:

Thats a great suggestion. Is it a direct fit? We did try the rear headrest off the rear seats (which are flat), unfortunately the spacing for the 'stems' were not the same.

</font>
Yeah, I was told by fellow member Bob (bobf58) that his 2001 Accord headrests can be swapped with his Odysseys. I also tried out the third row seat headrests (because they were so nicely flat - perfect for LCDs) but like you said the stems were too wide.

-nemogira

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FrankBullitt:
Does the 2001 Accord(LX?EX?2dr?4dr?) fabric match the Odyssey Ivory fabric?</font>
I have no clue. You would have to see them in person to decide whether or not they could match. If they don't - I would suggest getting 2 addition Accord style headrest covers the next time you upgrade to leather seat covers (or Wet Okoles).

-nemogira

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Russman:
Here are some headrest monitor options that I found that appear to be attractively priced. I don't know much about them - I just found the web site.

http://www.electronics-pluz.com/mobtecmobtvm.html

Russ
</font>
I think at autotoys.com a basic raw LCD screen are as low as $100.

-nemogira

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
148 Posts
We'll get you guys some pictures of an accord headrest in an Odyssey soon. We'll try it and tell you for sure if it will work.

The rear headrest are SO PERFECT (too bad they dont fit)

------------------

Here to help

1 - 20 of 26 Posts