1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota is showing good customer service skills:

From the 2/12/02 Wall Street Journal:

"Toyota to Cover Costs Of Repairing Engines Damaged by Sludge

DETROIT -- Toyota Motor Corp.'s U.S. sales arm, in an unusual response to customer complaints, says it is sending letters to more than three million owners of 1997-2001 models and offering to cover the cost of repairs for engine damage caused by oil-sludge buildup.

The action, announced by Toyota on Friday and reported by Automotive News on its Web site, comes after the Japanese auto maker received about 3,000 complaints about severe engine damage caused when the oil thickened into a gooey sludge, or gel.

In a statement, Toyota said it isn't aware of any cases of "oil gelling in properly maintained engines," and said it will pay for repairs as a "one-time goodwill gesture" if owners "can show reasonable evidence of regular engine maintenance."

Toyota said the program will last one year. The auto maker said the action is a "special policy adjustment," not a recall, and is aimed only at what it described as a small number of customers who have suffered oil-sludge damage. The action covers 1997-2001 Toyota Camrys, Solaras, Sienna minivans, Avalon sedans, and Highlander sport utilities, and Lexus ES300s and RX300s. These are some of Toyota's best-selling vehicles, and a Toyota spokesman said this is the largest such action ever by Toyota's U.S. sales operation.

Toyota, in a posting to some automotive Internet sites, said it regards the oil-sludge problem as a "maintenance issue," caused when customers fail to change their oil according to the schedules set out in owners' manuals. Toyota's owners' manuals call for oil changes every 7,500 miles, or six months, under normal driving conditions, and 5,000 miles or four months, under severe operating conditions."

If only Honda will properly take care of people who have transmission problems similarly...

Scott

·
Registered
99 Posts
An admirable gesture...and a good reminder to keep up with regular maintenance on your vehicle. If you can't show that you followed the recommended maint schedule, I'll bet you don't get the fix.

------------------
01 Nissan Frontier SE CC
02 MB EX (Soon)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've been following this topic on Edmund's since the beginning as I owned a 2000 Sienna XLE until about 12 days ago (totalled).

This has been a long fight between owners with the problem and Toyota with the owners picking up the full amount of the bill until now.

Trust me, you don't want Honda to treat their customers the way the Toyota just treated theirs.

Important note to all of this is that Toyota still is not claiming responsibility for this, they are showing that it is a "maintenance issue", in other words it's still the owners fault.

Given, there probably are a good number that are due to lack of maintenance, but there are some that aren't as well.

FWIW...

Scott

·
Registered
596 Posts
There were only 3000+ complaints from 3.3 million owners. I imagine there are at least that many folks out there who did not even realize there was oil in those engines. Yes, this is damage control, but, it is understandable, what with the great reputation Toyota has had for reliability. This sort of thing can do great damage to the business and it would be a shame if it was just due to "cheap" or uninformed owners. I went to the Google site and entered "Toyota engine sludge" and found a very interesting article right at the top. The motor pictured to illustrate what can happen, was a four cylinder HONDA motor, with the worst accumulation of black goop in the rocker arm area that I have ever seen, even in the old motors in my family's wrecking yard.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
596 Posts
Regular Maintenance? That term is ambiguous. I have been involved in the aircraft industry since 1966. They use a more accurate and more "politically correct" term which I prefer.

PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE!

This implies that maintenance is preformed not just "regularly", but it is done with the intent to prevent system failure.

I'm just being anal again.....

Toyota is doing the right thing; I just had to put my two cents in.

Fred

·
Registered
69 Posts
Preventive Maintenance is good. I'd feel better about the aircraft industry if you said Predictive Maintenance. Different and better. Details should be available from your Quality/Reliability Engineers.

------------------
Ben
2001 LX, GG, mud guards, cargo tray, keyless remote, CD player, Blaupunkt speakers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts