Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
32 degrees this morning and five minutes into my drive my TPMS light came on and stayed on and the rest of my drive. NOT a low-tire pressure light. I just assumed I have a dead or dying battery in one of the sensors. What else can activate this light? I would like to read the code and recalibrate at home. Can I turn this into another sales pitch to my wife for a Foxwell NT510? I may need more help with the sales pitch than the light, honestly.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
3,048 Posts
An NT510 would read the TPMS code. A BlueDriver likely would as well and it's cheaper, only around $100

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is my current model, would prefer going straight to the Foxwell from this basic tool. My wife remains unconvinced that I need something better.
Peripheral Input device Material property Font Gadget

·
Administrator
14,343 Posts

·
Administrator
14,343 Posts
The light turned off last night. Are TPMS codes stored if the light is deactivated?
How old are the sensors? If the pressure is low, the low pressure light comes on. If the TPMS system can't talk to one or more sensors, the TPMS light turns on. Odds are, due to it being very cold, the weak battery could not communicate with the system triggering the TPMS light. The battery may have warmed up or gathered enough juice to re-establish the connection to cause the light to go away. That would be my take/assumption on this.

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The batteries in those sensors typically start going out around 7 to 10 years old from my experience. I do not know how old these sensors are, but my money has been on at least one weak battery. According to the manual the Low Pressure light will not illuminate while the TPMS light is active, but I just aired up my tires on Friday and re-checked them yesterday out of an abundance of caution and they were still holding.

While on the subject of aired tires, what pressures do you guys like to run with? I've always just gone with the door sticker (33 Front 35 Rear)

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
3,048 Posts
While on the subject of aired tires, what pressures do you guys like to run with? I've always just gone with the door sticker (33 Front 35 Rear)
I usually run 36 front 38 rear.

·
Administrator
14,343 Posts
38 all around. We don't drive much around town and 38 helps with long freeway trips where roads are more smoother than in-town and likely helps mpg but I don't track that stuff.

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
3,048 Posts
I go higher than the sticker because I inflate my tires at Costco (to get the nitrogen air) which means the tires have warmed up by driving over to Costco. So the cold pressure wouldn't be accurate at that point.

Reactions: Juggawut
1 - 13 of 13 Posts