Honda Odyssey Forum banner

TPMS & moving Wheels corner to corner

2570 Views 21 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  salty_monk
Hello all - Sorry couldn't find a definitive answer to this in a search.

2010 EX-L

Can I move Right rear to Right Front without triggering the TPMS?

Cheers,
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After a 100 miles through the desert on the donut at 50mph to get to a place with the right size tire I'm going to start carrying a full size spare on long trips!

Of course that one tire they had was a Bridgestone & what I had before was Avon's - & they only had one so now I have odd stuff hence the need to move things around!

· Registered
474 Posts
Sorry you didn't get a response. But yes, you can. There is only one receiver for all four TPMS sensors. So the computer has no way of knowing which sensor is on which wheel. So you can swap them around without problems.

The only exception to that is the Touring model.

· Registered
474 Posts
I don't think it would work. The van can only remember 4 sensors at the same time and it does not re-learn sensors automatically.

I was going to suggest that you could clone one of the sensors (I made a video about that) but that would only work if the tire with the sensor you cloned is the one that went flat. Otherwise, when you put your spare on, you could have 2 active sensors with the same code.

I don't know for sure how it would behave with duplicate sensors, but I'm fairly certain it'd put the TPMS light on.

I could actually try it. Maybe I will.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the link to video. It would definitely be interesting to find out. I guess with one of those Pads and an Autel sensor in the spare I could at least move the wheels around (i.e. rotate in the spare to the mix as/when necessary by cloning the sensor it's working on).

Did you ever do the replace on a wheel with Tyre already fitted video?

· Registered
422 Posts
Just throwing this out there...

Former fleet manager with dozens of vehicles, with a master mechanic working under me for four years. Unbelievable guy, worked for GM Corporate and helped his two sons with their very successful racing pursuits, so his wisdom carried some weight with us.

He never rotated front wheel drive vehicles' tires. Thought it was a colossal waste of time and treasure.

The fronts definitely wear and are replaced in pairs, but the backs literally just hold up the rear of the vehicle, and with proper inflation, will last and last and last. My original Insight went almost 70,000 miles on the rear tires before having to replace them (and I did it prophylactically, I probably could have safely driven another, oh, 5-8K miles on them). Other front drivers I've had bear him out... If I kept a vehicle long enough to get a new set of tires, just the fronts were replaced. Our first-gen Tercel went almost 90,000 miles with the untouched originals in back!

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm with you... I don't rotate tires either. In the UK (where I'm from originally) it's not common practice.

This time I'm moving one forward to put a new one on the rear as a middle of the desert flat has left me with one odd tyre fitted currently and I'm going to carry a full size spare on subsequent long/remote journeys.

Interestingly safety guidelines say that with FWD you should install your new tyres on the rear (as any lack of grip on the front is more easily /instinctively dealt with by the driver). - Understeer you can just back off, oversteer is a bit more involved.

:)

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did, that's here: Gabe's Hacks: Install new TPMS sensors in your tires by yourself!

I do have one of the Autel sensors in my all-seasons right now. I could clone it to match one of the others and see what happens. If I get around to it, I'll let you know what happens.
I figured that would be how you broke the bead on the tyre - something like that anyway. I've done it that way on bike tyres, not on a car, if anything it looks a little easier on the car.

I'm going to buy an Autel so I guess I could try the "2 of the same ID" thing too once I get them. :)

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmm my Mazda was parked next to it so the wheel would have been within 6 feet for sure.
I will have to try again. It reads fine it's just the programming that doesn't work.
Maybe I'll have to pull it out of the wheel again..
I take it that if I fix it then the TPMS light will go away after a few miles no need to reset it...?

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Emailed tech support and got told to call a number... The guy was helpful but didn't really know other than to get it out of the wheel and then he had a brainwave! Try dropping tyre pressure to zero and try again...

I just tried it tonight with tyre/tire pressure at zero and it programmed fine.

Hopefully that will cure it! got to wait for the light to go off now...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.