Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TPMS light just came on, the error code is 61, indicates the rear left driver side sensor is not transmitting. I'm still with the OEM, lasted me just over 13 years, and I hear they typically last 7 to 8 years. I called the local Honda dealer and they quoted me $550 labor and $110 each set (sensor, nut, crusher), so just shy of a grand. Looking at Honda Automotive diagrams, I think these are the parts, are they correct?

Sensor Assembly, TPMS - Honda (42753-SHJ-A82): $44.11
Nut, TPMS Valve - Honda (42754-SHJ-A71): $4.90
Washer, TPMS Valve - Honda (42755-SHJ-A51): $3.55
Total: $210.24

I'll call the local Costco tomorrow, a friend said he paid around $15 installation, and $25 for the part itself, total of $160. Not sure what the warranty, reliability or longevity is for the Costco parts.

This is a 2008 EXL. I decided to not do it myself as I don't have access to a garage at the moment and its very cold.

Anybody have experiences with Costco TPMS, or recommendation for any aftermarket parts.

I check pressure regularly, so I know it is not a safety issue or a functional issue, but I don't like to see the dashboard light, or put a tape over it.

·
Registered
2009 Odyssey EX Slate Metallic Green
83 Posts
following. Since I am looking to buy new wheels and tires I'll need the TPMs as well, since I do not plan on taking the ones out of my stock wheels which will be going into storage for now.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
That dealer price is ridiculous. Don’t even think about that as an option.
I have found that the genuine Honda TPMS sensors are actually cheaper than most aftermarket ones at discount places such as Majestic or Bernardi.
installation by your local mechanic should be around $15-30 per wheel. Genuine Honda TPMS sensors are $45-$50 each. So you should be able to have all 4 replaced for around $300 - $400.

I do not know about Costco. That seems too cheap to be good.

Reactions: Odywannabe2020

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I almost got them replaced at Costco...

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
If you are getting new wheels, Costco charges may be standard or vary... But if by itself, someone mentioned in another forum that Discount Tire charged them $65 each installed. Not sure if that was also by itself or during tire install, not specifically mentioned.

Btw, another member already mentioned in another thread here that sensor + additional $5 install fee at Costco so 40+5 during new tires is a good deal... one member mentioned new tires above.

·
Registered
2009 Odyssey EX Slate Metallic Green
83 Posts
I picked up my new (used) wheels today. They are in great shape and were on a newer vehicle (don't remember what, maybe a Malibu or Equinox) so I am hoping there are compatible TPMS in them already.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A Costco in Boston area quoted $60 installed + tax, one year warranty. They are using sensors from Dill.
Sam's Club was similar, however, they did not have it in stock and would not make a special order.
My local Firestone quoted $50 diagnostics, and then $130 installed per wheel.
Discount Direct have a few different ones at $60 each online, so I assume installation is extra. I'll call them and ask as well.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
A Costco in Boston area quoted $60 installed + tax, one year warranty. They are using sensors from Dill.
Sam's Club was similar, however, they did not have it in stock and would not make a special order.
My local Firestone quoted $50 diagnostics, and then $130 installed per wheel.
Discount Direct have a few different ones at $60 each online, so I assume installation is extra. I'll call them and ask as well.
$60 each, or for all 4?

A genuine Honda TPMS sensor is $44 at Majestic (plus shipping).

$49 at Bernardi with free shipping.

I think getting a genuine Honda TPMS sensor is a no brainer since they are cheaper than most aftermarket sensors and are known to work perfectly.

Reactions: surgeon

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Honda doesn't make the sensors. They are made for Honda.

I'm sure Costco uses good quality sensors, as the last thing they want is a call back.

Remember, installation also includes balancing, which, if you have to pay for it, can get expensive.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
It's 10$ per wheel at costco for sensor replacement plus cost of sensor, of course. That was 2 years ago when I got my tires there.

Reactions: akbrush

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I think for Costco, the verbiage seems to be very vague because that is how Costco will say. But its per wheel. So when you do it when purchasing new tires, the cost is less. If you were doing separately, then yeah OEM or any other brand external purchase is always something we consider. In fact, John Clark did that at Costco, though I dont remember if he was allowed to use his own or just used Costco provided ones.

celicool, Heard it was $5 install fee per wheel per different forum post this week.

·
Registered
09Touring
15 Posts
Last year I had a bad TPMS sensor. It took 5 hours to replace at the Honda dealer (and a lot of $). The first unit installed was defective, accounting for an hour or so. They didn't have a 2nd unit, so sent for one somewhere else. The 2nd unit was OK, but for some reason it took a long time to register with the Ody computer.

While I waited at the dealer another Honda in for service started sounding an ear splitting alarm near the waiting area. It went on for at least ten minutes before being shut down, only to start again within the minute. Altogether it sounded for over 30 minutes before the 3 mechanics could squelch it.

What I learned: (1) avoid the dealer repair shop (2) don't believe the estimated repair time (3) bring lots of money, a sandwich, ear plugs, a good book and a pillow.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Honda doesn't make the sensors. They are made for Honda.
Really? What parts does Honda actually make? Hardly anything. Most genuine Honda parts are not made by Honda. Genuine Honda as opposed to aftermarket.
My point is that unlike the majority of genuine OEM parts, the Honda TPMS sensors are cheaper than many aftermarket brands. The only other example of this that I can think of is Honda power steering fluid. And yes, I know somebody makes the fluid for Honda.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
$60 each, or for all 4?
I just made an appointment for when I get back, they confirmed it was $60 each : $45 for the Dill sensor and $15 installation.

A Discount Tire shop had the same price, $60 each including installation. However, the person on the phone was pretty unclear, and their website does not match what they say on the phone.

I am awaiting a response from another independent tire shop in the area, a Goodyear tire dealer, just seems its difficult to beat/match the big retailers price.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
For $240 I would prefer to check my tires with a tire gauge weekly. What a waste of resource! TPMS is probably the worst invention for cars ever. Bring back the cigarette lighter.

• Haha
Reactions: kaimanson
1 - 20 of 63 Posts