Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,
One TPMS sensor is going low battery. Time to replace 4 since I did not know to replace with new tires 7k earlier. Costco mentioned around $160 for 4. Or replace one at a time.

Should I go with Costco with whatever brand sensor and replacement? Or get OEMs or your recommended brand?
Discontinued: 42753-SHJ-A53 Sensor Assy., TPMS > anyone know the new part number?

@John Clark, I know you replaced yours during new tires a while back. Same yr/trim. Which part number worked?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
154 Posts
Hi All,
One TPMS sensor is going low battery. Time to replace 4 since I did not know to replace with new tires 7k earlier. Costco mentioned around $160 for 4. Or replace one at a time.

Should I go with Costco with whatever brand sensor and replacement? Or get OEMs or your recommended brand?
Discontinued: 42753-SHJ-A53 Sensor Assy., TPMS > anyone know the new part number?

@John Clark, I know you replaced yours during new tires a while back. Same yr/trim. Which part number worked?

Thanks.
You can still buy the OE parts but you need to program it.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
Hi All,

Thanks.
I don't recall the part number of the ones I bought. Honda has done some revamping of part numbers and I know @maxud has had some issues with programming some of these OE sensors. If you have a Touring there is no programming needed as they will learn on their own.

Reactions: surgeon

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I had a nightmare of a time programming Honda OE sensor into 2007 Odyssey non touring.
My recommendation is to go to RockAuto and buy good aftermarket sensors there. Denso, Schrader, VDO work great.
Honda parts, not so much.
I see VDO / CONTINENTAL SE55901 for ~$29 wholesale closeout on RockAuto, that will fit your Touring and like @John Clark said, touring does not require any programming, they self initialize and learn.

According to RockAuto posting, the sensor replaces any of the following part numbers
Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 06421S3VA01, 06421S3VA02, 06421S3VA03, 06421S3VA04

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Max. I will get them and fix. I keep procrastinating. That light comes on and goes more often.

Reactions: maxud

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks All

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I had good experience with genuine Honda sensors from Majestic for my 2010 EX-L. Plus they were cheaper than aftermarket sensors.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Several obd scan tools allow that. Autel and Foxwell NT510 models that John Clark posted.

@thscott, while looking up on bernardiparts, hondapartsnow, etc for the 2008 model it only shows discontinued but not its superceeded by part number. So I gave up. And if touring trim is self-learning that works out nice.

·
Registered
246 Posts
That part number shows as available in the Acura parts distribution. See Acurapartswarehouse.com.

Also at Conicelli honda.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I can see the TPMS sensor as available for $45 on the Bernardi site for my 2010 EX-L. Perhaps yours is different?

Part Number: 42753-SHJ-A82
That is exactly the sensor I bought from Bernardi. I tried to use it in 2007 EXL twice and 2010 EXL, both times I am able to ping the sensor and store the id in the car. All 3 times, car never can communicate with this sensor. I use Autel 906TS programmer. All 3 times I ended up buying a VDO aftermarket sensor and programming it, with car recognizing the new sensor within few miles of travel. Same exact programming procedure used between Honda and VDO sensors. I have wasted hours trying to make the car communicate with Honda original sensor.
I have exchanged it at local Honda dealer, thinking I got bad sensor. That was not the case, as replacement sensor is just as useless.
I know that Honda consolidated alot of their TPMS sensor parts. The original sensor in 07 was different part number and shaped differently from the above Honda part number.
Maybe I am missing some magic sparkle, but I have installed and programmed alot of TPMS sensors, and no other sensor gave me as much trouble.

And YES, 3rd gen Honda Odyssey Touring uses different sensor from Non Touring package.

Reactions: thscott

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I checked back with Costco yesterday. The cost full will be 120-130 and they will only install if you purchase from them. I guess if I get my own its around 180 with only 30 day warranty on parts. Since I get tires there also, might make sense to keep the whole package there with good service.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Yes, Costco makes the most sense, and if the sensors don't work, they'll fix it. Remember, while they're fixing your tires, you'll be buying the 500 lb bag of rice, and the 12 lb bag of cereal. Makes sense to me. I'd also get one of their large pizzas to go, which will make your wife happy!

Also, the price includes balancing.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I checked back with Costco yesterday. The cost full will be 120-130 and they will only install if you purchase from them. I guess if I get my own its around 180 with only 30 day warranty on parts. Since I get tires there also, might make sense to keep the whole package there with good service.
If $130 extra includes 4 sensors, its a no brainer. In my limited experience with Costco tire installers, I would choose them over any other shop in the area.

If I recall, you said only 1 sensor was showing low battery. In my own experience, I always replace only one sensor that is showing low battery or is dead.
I have never seen multiple simultaneous failures. Ask Costco if you save money doing them all at the same time, vs replacing one failed one at a time.
I would definitely recommend to replace one at a time, but that is my opinion based on my own experience with TPMS.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Max. Yeah the two times I was there, it was the same guy. Today when I called to take appt, this guy was saying 360-380. 60 each + install/prog charges. So that 120 ea makes more sense and looks like you can start with 1 or do 4. Then right now only 1 has issue. I did not check at local tire shop about me taking one in.

Since Touring self-learns, would it be cheaper to get one and just have local shop install it? Or I can even buy an Autel or Foxwell programmer and first do it and them have the shop install.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Thanks Max. Yeah the two times I was there, it was the same guy. Today when I called to take appt, this guy was saying 360-380. 60 each + install/prog charges. So that 120 ea makes more sense and looks like you can start with 1 or do 4. Then right now only 1 has issue. I did not check at local tire shop about me taking one in.

Since Touring self-learns, would it be cheaper to get one and just have local shop install it? Or I can even buy an Autel or Foxwell programmer and first do it and them have the shop install.
First, since it self learns, you don't need programmer.
Second, here is how I replace sensors. You break the bead on front of the tire only, use tire spoons or whatever you want to push tire down, reach and undo the sensor nut.
Replace the sensor with new one, then seat the bead by inflating the tire with compressor. I used to take tire to neighborhood tire shop and paid them 5-10 to break the bead on their tire machine,
it only takes them 3 secs to do. Now I do it by my own patented method, ie, use my lift and couple of wooden planks to lower the lift with the car on it, onto the tire.
Since you only break one bead, the tire balance does not change, so there is no need for rebalancing.
After all, this forum is about promoting DIY, so here is my method.
Replacing tpms sensor is stupid easy, except for times when the nut is corroded solid onto the stem, then I drill them out.

The pricing is starting to make more sense now, $130 for 4 sensors is unheard of.

·
Registered
61 Posts
First, since it self learns, you don't need programmer.
Second, here is how I replace sensors. You break the bead on front of the tire only, use tire spoons or whatever you want to push tire down, reach and undo the sensor nut.
Replace the sensor with new one, then seat the bead by inflating the tire with compressor. I used to take tire to neighborhood tire shop and paid them 5-10 to break the bead on their tire machine,
it only takes them 3 secs to do. Now I do it by my own patented method, ie, use my lift and couple of wooden planks to lower the lift with the car on it, onto the tire.
Since you only break one bead, the tire balance does not change, so there is no need for rebalancing.
After all, this forum is about promoting DIY, so here is my method.
Replacing tpms sensor is stupid easy, except for times when the nut is corroded solid onto the stem, then I drill them out.

The pricing is starting to make more sense now, $130 for 4 sensors is unheard of.
hm where is the video :)

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
hm where is the video :)
You want a video of me replacing a tpms sensor?
Bring me your car and I will do a personal performance, dont even have to pay extra :cool:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts