Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while I am driving, I see the following sign appears on my cluster once every few days! before checking wiring or TPMS module, I need your feedback on possible root cause please and thank you.
Speedometer Gauge Trip computer Measuring instrument Odometer

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
4,466 Posts
Do you have a TPMS light on also? Common for sensor batteries to die.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Was anything done recently such as new tires?
When were the TPMS sensors last replaced? As said, the batteries only last about 8 years or so.

·
Administrator
14,909 Posts
Its getting really cold in Canada. I am betting on the sensors being too old with weak batteries on this one.

·
Administrator
14,909 Posts
I doubt that they are the original TPMS sensors. The batteries do not last 15 years. Maybe you are the rare exception to this.
I still sport the factory sensors on my EX-L R&N and I have owned it since new. Sensors were never changed. Purchased in mid-Aug 2007.

First set of new tires in mid 2014 right before the 7 year warranty ran out. Second set in early 2021. Odometer today 120100.

Reactions: thscott

·
Registered
43 Posts
while I am driving, I see the following sign appears on my cluster once every few days! before checking wiring or TPMS module, I need your feedback on possible root cause please and thank you. View attachment 165346
The batteries in the sensors are probably dead. Buy the sensors from honda. Don't get the cheap generic ones. They don't work right or don't last. Have them installed and properly programed to your odyssey.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
OP, which year? I had to replace on 08, which are self programmed.... Other models need programming but can be done DIY also. Shop around.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for your inputs. I have 09 ody touring. Do you know if sensors are self-programmable?

• Yes TPMS light on
  • Only one sensor was replaced 2 years ago ( by Canadian tire tech. I still regret going there)
  • Yes , remaining three are the original TPMS sensors. 12 years old.
I will replace all 4 sensors then since I don’t remember which one is replaced. I am just wondering if all batteries goes bad in same time!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thank you for your inputs. I have 09 ody touring. Do you know if sensors are self-programmable?

• Yes TPMS light on
  • Only one sensor was replaced 2 years ago ( by Canadian tire tech. I still regret going there)
  • Yes , remaining three are the original TPMS sensors. 12 years old.
I will replace all 4 sensors then since I don’t remember which one is replaced. I am just wondering if all batteries goes bad in same time!!!
They don't go bad at the same time. But they will begin going out. I do not believe they are self programming. Make sure and use actual Honda dealer sensors

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
As said, buy genuine Honda TPMS sensors.
From discount places such as Majestic or Bernardi they are often cheaper than most aftermarket sensors.

·
Registered
36 Posts
while I am driving, I see the following sign appears on my cluster once every few days! before checking wiring or TPMS module, I need your feedback on possible root cause please and thank you. View attachment 165346
I had the same issue with our 2005 Touring in 2014. After a lot of investigation (and three trips to the dealership), it turned out that the sensors were all fine but the receiving module which is located in the roof area had gone bad.

·
Administrator
14,909 Posts
I had the same issue with our 2005 Touring in 2014. After a lot of investigation (and three trips to the dealership), it turned out that the sensors were all fine but the receiving module which is located in the roof area had gone bad.
Now this is an excellent reply.

·
Administrator
14,909 Posts
They don't go bad at the same time. But they will begin going out. I do not believe they are self programming. Make sure and use actual Honda dealer sensors
The 3rg gen Touring had self programming. You do NOT need any programming. The other models excluding Touring need programming.

·
Administrator
14,909 Posts
I doubt that they are the original TPMS sensors. The batteries do not last 15 years. Maybe you are the rare exception to this.
Dude. You jinxed me. Our EX-L got the TPMS light today. It lasted a few minutes and went out. It was cold out there but I am in NC. I am betting one or more are finally giving up to the battery ghosts. I will call Discount and ask them if they'd replace them for free under my tire warranty. :D

** Edit **
NOT the sensors for free. Ofcourse I have to pay for them. BUT. Installation would be $20 a wheel which I hope they'd cover just like they would a flat repair. Just to clarify.

·
Administrator
14,909 Posts
@skelsall, my post above did not come out as I had intended. SO. I added an edit to it. :)

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
4,466 Posts
I feel like I say this every time I see a TPMS thread, but every time I see one of these it makes me like not having TPMS even more.

FWIW, the TPMS sensors in my Accord never had to be replaced in the ~8.5 years I had the car. And it was parked outside, so if there was any crazy weather it saw it including the snowstorm last February.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I feel like I say this every time I see a TPMS thread, but every time I see one of these it makes me like not having TPMS even more.

FWIW, the TPMS sensors in my Accord never had to be replaced in the ~8.5 years I had the car. And it was parked outside, so if there was any crazy weather it saw it including the snowstorm last February.
Tpms is a gift and a curse. My 06 ody doesn't have it and I wish it did. My 12 cts has it and I wish it didn't. Those damn sensors are so expensive and it is annoying when the light won't go away 😒

·
Registered
615 Posts
I love our 08 Touring tpms display that shows actual psi in each tire.

It helps us keep the tire pressure where we want with crazy temp changes especially.

With it, our tires last 17 - 20% longer, IMO. Due to not under inflation.
Those damn molecules leaking out of that porous rubber.
Or was it elements? I can't remember. Damn O and N. :ROFLMAO:

I'll bet harder rubber / longer mileage warranty tires leak less air.
I'm happy with my soft supple super grippy tires leaking air and wearing out quickly. Because I know they are functioning well.

The PS pump loves it too. ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts