Honda Odyssey Forum banner

trade or not...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
nearing the 100k mark on the 06 EXL..
before i drop any dough on her for maintenance.. figurin out whether or not to trade her in for something new..
shes fully paid.. the lack of monthly payments is nice.. although for me to fully take advantage of that..
id have to at least keep her for an additional two years to make the current value of the van for sale or tradein..
meaning.. if i can get a good trade in or sale.. thats at least two years less in payments for the new ride...
unsure if she will last another two years without pouring any money into her..
btw.. shes had very little issues in the five years ive had her..

·
Registered
747 Posts
Keep it! Even if you drop $1K in maintenance, that is only a couple of months of car payment.

·
Administrator
14,523 Posts
I love these posts where people feel their vans will turn into a pumpkin at 100K.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I love these posts where people feel their vans will turn into a pumpkin at 100K.
I think that the timing belt service gets people thinking if it is worth spending $1K on a car with that mileage. In my mind it is worth it!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
who said that...
just looking for justification for those who have had it past 100k if its worthwhile keeping..
unless shes proven to be bulletproof past 100k then my inquiry is valid imho..
take a look at your own signature.. all those tranny issues youve had on your accord is well below 100k..

if you have nothing constructive to add keep your righteous remarks to yourself please.. :stupid:

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
With the exception of some very high-end vehicles where repairs/maint. can exceed the value of the vehicle for minor things....it's ALWAYS a better financial decision to keep what you have. Even if you drop a ton of money into it that will be less than the depreciation on a new one. You really can't just look at the payments because they don't keep up with depreciation the first year or so. The tax alone on a new one will be a huge chunk of a major repair. That being said we are shopping new vehicles. It's a bad financial decision but the wife is getting the itch for something new. I typically don't finance vehicles so it really becomes apparent how expensive a new vehicle really is when you have to write a check. When making payments it's not as big of a hit but overall you're taking that huge financial hit PLUS interest.

·
Administrator
14,523 Posts
who said that...
just looking for justification for those who have had it past 100k if its worthwhile keeping..
unless shes proven to be bulletproof past 100k then my inquiry is valid imho..
take a look at your own signature.. all those tranny issues youve had on your accord is well below 100k..

if you have nothing constructive to add keep your righteous remarks to yourself please.. :stupid:
Nothing's proven to be bullet proof. Heck it could have been a lemon and fallen appart at less than 50K. The pumpkin comment came from Skinny2's post just a couple of months back to a guy asking in essense the same thing you're asking. The guy still got a 2011. ;)

·
Administrator
14,523 Posts
I think that the timing belt service gets people thinking if it is worth spending $1K on a car with that mileage. In my mind it is worth it!
I agree. But $1000 is still less than a new car as most who get a new car can make what 2 - 3 payments for the $1000?

Yes the value of the car past 100K falls like a rock but it still is much better than taking the depriciation hit on a new car. :)

My Maxima crossed 100K a few months back and its still a Maxima. The POS Accord is at 90K. The Oddy, well, its only at around 27K. :D

·
Registered
786 Posts
From what I have seen, Odys tend to either be prone to problems, or worry free. For example, I have spoken with a lot of owners over the years and they either never had a power steering problem, or have gone through 3 or 4 pumps. So, I'm guessing if your Ody has been good this long, it should be good for a while longer. What part of New Jersey are you in? If you were in a place like rural Warren County where cars get a lot of highway mileage, I would definitely say it would be fine to keep it. I might think differently though if you lived in a crowded place like Bergen County and drove in a lot of city traffic. I'm also guessing you don't have too much sentimental attachment to the van? (serious question).

·
Registered
16 Posts
My thoughts...car payments are a huge waste of money. my newest vehicle is a 2006 honda odyssey with 74k on it. I just traded in the 2000 Honda Odyssey with 174k on it...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts