Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got a good deal for the 2001 Odyssey as a trade-in? How do you deal with the dealer to get your best trade-in value for the 2001 Odyssey? I am very interested in trading in my 2001 Odyssey EX for the 2002 Odyssey EX. I am interested in the 2002 options such as side airbages, res, 4 disc brakes, more choice of colors, etc. Please let me know your story....thanks.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Why not wait 18 months for the new design due for model year 2004? Or wait six months for the slightly updated 2003?

If you swap the 2001 for a 2002 you may want to swap again for the 2004 in 18 months.

(I typically drive a car 10+ years).

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
383 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Odysseylover:
Anyone got a good deal for the 2001 Odyssey as a trade-in? How do you deal with the dealer to get your best trade-in value for the 2001 Odyssey? I am very interested in trading in my 2001 Odyssey EX for the 2002 Odyssey EX. I am interested in the 2002 options such as side airbages, res, 4 disc brakes, more choice of colors, etc. Please let me know your story....thanks.</font>
Get an independent trade-in value for your 2001, either on the web: kbb.com - edmunds.com; go to CARMAX or ask your dealer. I got I little better than $20,000 for my '99EX when I traded for a 2002 NAVI.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maugham:

If I wait 1 or 2 more years, my 2001 Odyssey EX value probably will drop quite a bit and the newer model will be a lot more expensive. All I'm looking for is the added safety feature on the 2002 model (side airbages, 4 disc brakes and better insulation) and the rear entertainment for the kids. I am careless about the extra power, leather seats or any other add on feature. 210 hp is more than enough to haul my 2 little girls. I am very happy with the 2002 Odyssey feature and appearance. I am into safety more than anything else.

Legend700:

I know the value of my 2001 Odyssey EX from all those sources, but I want to know the real trade-in deal that others got for their 2001 Odyssey and what kind of tactic they used at the dealer. Anyway, thanks.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Assuming that you will pay MSRP you should expect your 2001 trade-in value to be close to the quotes you get on the web. Right now is a good time to buy since there are extra Odys being built because the production of the PILOT SUV has not started in Canada yet. I was told that that will change during the next 4 to 6 weeks.
The 2002 also has dual stage front airbags, an alarm system, ignition disabler circuitry in addition to the improvements you mentioned. Don't know whether the rear wiper delay is on your 2001 or not. I also consider the increase in HP an added safety feature, especially when marging into highway traffic and climbing steep hills. This motor pulls!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do I have to get the leather seat to get the side airbag? I am not interested in the leather material. Plus, it is very hot in Arizona sun. The 2002 Odyssey sound good. The RES will keep my 2 little quiet on the road for sure. Those show (Out of the Boxe, Rollie Pollie Ollie, Big Blue House and the Big Red Bear) will put them to sleep on the road for sure. The extra safety features are great and it will help during an un-expect.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Originally posted by Odysseylover:
Do I have to get the leather seat to get the side airbag?

------------------------------------------
All 2002 Odyssey comes with side airbag, i also hate leather seats, well atleast until they put somekind of cooling into the seats.

===========================================
Originally posted by Odysseylover:
The RES will keep my 2 little quiet on the road for sure
===========================================
But if you are looking for the RES trim level, you have to get the leather seats. I was looking at the NAV,but will not get it because i really do not want the leather seats.

[This message has been edited by JoesYum (edited 03-15-2002).]

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Joes, that is not good. I would love to have the RES for my kids. Why can we have the RES without the leather seat? I don't think leather seat improve the quality of RES. I never like the leather at all. I am very allergic to leather. Sometime I got head ache if I seat in the leather seat too long. Plus, it is very hot in summer. I see a lot of people use towel in summer on top of their leather seat. I don't want to pay for it if I am not going to enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Coleman_lot said:
Joes, that is not good. I would love to have the RES for my kids. Why can we have the RES without the leather seat? I don't think leather seat improve the quality of RES. I never like the leather at all. I am very allergic to leather. Sometime I got head ache if I seat in the leather seat too long. Plus, it is very hot in summer. I see a lot of people use towel in summer on top of their leather seat. I don't want to pay for it if I am not going to enjoy it.
Well, we all have to compromise in the game of life. The 1st and the last car that had leather seats was Lincoln Mark VII, i also hated the climate control in that car, i really hope the Ody climate control is lot, lot better! I would like a manuel heat A/C controls, but i want all the other toys in the EX(compromise). You still can get aftermarket RES system and get the EX. And if you hate the leather seats as much as i do and still want RES, i would go for the aftermarket RES. One thing about the heated leather seats is, you can not even put sheep skin seat covers over them to make it little better. 2nd option, is to go with one of the other brands of minivans where even top of the modles have leather seats as an option, well atleast the ones i looked at. When i started looking for a minivan, i looked for the top of the line model that i can get without leather seats, well the Ody won the contest. But i get no trip computer to play with, no power lift gate(really wanted that option), reverse factory sensor! THATS LIFE FOR YOU.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Yeah, for the 2002, both Navi and RES are options available only on the EX-L (leather) models. If you don't want the leather, you'd have to go for an aftermarket Navi/RES. I wanted the leather and factory RES, but unfortunately, I was in a hurry to get our Ody, so I ended up with an EX-L with aftermarket RES. When I saw all the features offered on the factory RES, I wish I would have waited and gotten that instead.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Atleast I wouldn't have to deal with the heated seats. I never have to use much of the heat option in all of my cars in Arizona. I guess I have to suffer and go with the leather seat and use seat cover or towel or something. My wife and the daughters will not buy it if they can't have the Honda RES include in it. They'll always like the original stuff. They never want me to add any after market stuff to any of our vehicles. We always like stuff stay in its original condition. The resale value always better with the original equipment in it.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Coleman_lot said:
Atleast I wouldn't have to deal with the heated seats. I never have to use much of the heat option in all of my cars in Arizona. I guess I have to suffer and go with the leather seat and use seat cover or towel or something. My wife and the daughters will not buy it if they can't have the Honda RES include in it. They'll always like the original stuff. They never want me to add any after market stuff to any of our vehicles. We always like stuff stay in its original condition. The resale value always better with the original equipment in it.
Coleman_lot: Don't forget about those side airbags in the front seats on all 2002 models. I seen a post somewhere, Honda put out a letter telling dealers, they can not put leather seat on cloth seats anymore, because of the side airbags and may not deploy. So i guess you can not put seat covers on leather seats. You are left with towels on the seat. Unless you want to take a chance that the side airbags will not working when you need it. I got use to sheep skin seat covers in my car, but looks like i'm not going to do this on the Ody and wareout the cloth seats.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Since I like the Odyssey and it is the best in its segment, I guess I have to live with the leather seat and used towel on it. You know I saw some cars have the leather trim around the side airbag area. Why don't Odyssey think of that to compromise people like us that doesn't like the leather. Appearantly Honda didn't care for the minority like us since they sold every van they built. I guess I have to live with it until my leather alergic go away......! I am also eager to get rid off my Cadillac with leather seat. My wife bought it and now she doesn't like the leather seat in the Cadillac, and she end up dump the Cadillac on me. She took control of our current 2001 Odyssey....I'll find a way to get rid of it and get the cloth seat vehicle.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Well, leather seats are coming more common in the mid to upper models of cars. I like the days when leather seats were options. Oh well, i like rear wheel drive cars, but they are few and far apart. I can not justify the gas mileage on SUV or trucks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts