Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 months ago, I asked dealers the cost to upgrade from a 2018 to a 2021 Elite. I had 24,500 miles at the time and the best offer was $14,400. It was higher than I wanted, so I thought I would wait until the spring to look again and check out the Sienna and future Sedona.

However, after watching videos, I think the Sienna's 4 cylinder is a deal breaker for me, and I didn't like that the higher trim models only had captain's chairs in the middle. I liked the way the upcoming Sedona looked, but my wife shot down the idea of getting a Kia, just like she did the Chrysler Pacifica in 2017. It's funny because she's not a car person, but she really likes to stick to Hondas and Toyotas.

I also noticed that the Elite prices were trending below $44,000 and that Honda added the $1,000 loyalty rebate to the 2021s and offered 1.9% financing. This week I contacted the dealers and was able to get an improved out of pocket quote of $12,435 with 27,082 miles on the van.

Allow me to rationalize for a moment on why I wanted to trade in a perfectly good vehicle:
-My tires were wearing down (5/32") and likely needed replacement in the next year
-I had a B12 service due and three recalls outstanding
-I was out of warranty
-Dealer offers free oil changes for the life of the vehicle
-My 2018 was one of the earliest models produced and didn't have major issues but it had the wind noise at highway speeds and the front doors sometimes needed to be closed firmly. Also there was a scratch on the rear quarter placed by another dealer when they were servicing the vehicle that I no longer have to look at and be reminded of that experience.

Some initial impressions of the 2021 based on a 20 minute drive home, no matter how trivial:
-Steering wheel is thicker
-Auto idle stop off indicator is white now instead of amber
-When using your index finger to press the reverse button, the 2018 button goes down and in (so it was like a hooking motion) whereas the 2021 button goes up and away - hard to describe but the reverse button is angled different
-Speed limit indicator moved to beside the digital speed readout
-They changed the rear view mirror wiring which is no longer exposed, so you can't mirror tap into them for a radar detector like before
-I don't like electronic nannies and with this new Safety Support Indicator I have to go into another menu to turn off road departure mitigation, which is different than lane keeping assist
-Rear camera appears to have better resolution, or maybe it's just clean?
-2nd row outboard seats are now perforated like the front two seats
-The cord cut out in the center console is a nice touch and should have been present from 2018
-Brake pedal feels harder to push in, especially when turning vehicle on
-Steering feels tighter but that might just be a new versus old vehicle feeling--will have to see with time
-2021 Elite rims are growing on me - I like the black grille and the trim on the tailgate
-Feels weird not to have pinstripes (my 2018 was bought in Florida). The dealer was quick to point out they were going to remove them before reselling

I'll post this in the 2021 Price guide too, but here were my numbers after loyalty rebate. I negotiated the out of pocket difference and didn't care about the other numbers.
MSRP $48,940
Price paid $43,683.00
Price OTD: $44,847.55
Trade (2018 Elite 27,000 miles): -$32,412.55
Out of pocket difference: $12,435.00 financed with Honda 1.9% over 36 months

The new car came with wheel locks, splash guards, all weather mats, and cargo tray. I also paid for labor for the dealer to move my black roof rails and cross bars from the 2018.

Referencing a post on this website from 2017, I paid $45,950 OTD for my 2018 in July 2017, so with a trade in value of $32,412.55, the Odyssey depreciated $13,537.45 over 40 months ($338.44/month). The dealer trade in was a good $2,500-3,000 over online quotes from Carmax and Carvana.

I haven't seen any other 2021 Odyssey's on the road although I see plenty of 2018-2020s. I imagine with time Honda will need to increase the incentives due to the Sienna and Sedona, but the timing was good for me to make the jump now.

Lastly, I thought about changing to modern steel but decided to stick with the same blue/grey color scheme:

Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Platinum White Pearl on Mocha Brown Leather
Congratulations! 馃帄

Registered
This inspires me to look into trading in my 2019. I've reached out to the appropriate parties and looking forward to looking at numbers. Thanks and congrats.

Registered
Your money. If you're going to trade vehicles let that you might want to just look into leasing versus taking that much in depreciation

Registered
Congrats, the 21 looks good and enjoy the ride. Did you remove the roof rails?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. The dealer moved the roof rails while I filled out the paperwork--took about 2 hours. The top picture was before and the bottom picture was after.

I've thought multiple times that I should lease due to the low miles we put on vehicles, but the 2018 was paid off, so I decided to trade in for the freedom of not worrying about miles or when I have to turn it in.

Also the 2018 only depreciated $338 a month which is probably cheaper than a lease would have cost me to be honest. This will serve me well until the 2024s come out. 馃槈

Super Moderator
Rich people. :D

The longer you keep it, the cheaper per month depreciation it gets. :)

Reactions: stanimal

Registered
After further review and your update, I see the roof rails .

And time to enjoy the family hauler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
About 2 months ago, I asked dealers the cost to upgrade from a 2018 to a 2021 Elite. I had 24,500 miles at the time and the best offer was $14,400. It was higher than I wanted, so I thought I would wait until the spring to look again and check out the Sienna and future Sedona.

However, after watching videos, I think the Sienna's 4 cylinder is a deal breaker for me, and I didn't like that the higher trim models only had captain's chairs in the middle. I liked the way the upcoming Sedona looked, but my wife shot down the idea of getting a Kia, just like she did the Chrysler Pacifica in 2017. It's funny because she's not a car person, but she really likes to stick to Hondas and Toyotas.

I also noticed that the Elite prices were trending below $44,000 and that Honda added the $1,000 loyalty rebate to the 2021s and offered 1.9% financing. This week I contacted the dealers and was able to get an improved out of pocket quote of $12,435 with 27,082 miles on the van.

Allow me to rationalize for a moment on why I wanted to trade in a perfectly good vehicle:
-My tires were wearing down (5/32") and likely needed replacement in the next year
-I was out of warranty
-My 2018 was one of the earliest models produced and didn't have major issues but it had the wind noise at highway speeds and the front doors sometimes needed to be closed firmly. Also there was a scratch on the rear quarter placed by another dealer when they were servicing the vehicle that I no longer have to look at and be reminded of that experience.

Some initial impressions of the 2021 based on a 20 minute drive home, no matter how trivial:
-When using your index finger to press the reverse button, the 2018 button goes down and in (so it was like a hooking motion) whereas the 2021 button goes up and away - hard to describe but the reverse button is angled different
-They changed the rear view mirror wiring which is no longer exposed, so you can't mirror tap into them for a radar detector like before
-I don't like electronic nannies and with this new Safety Support Indicator I have to go into another menu to turn off road departure mitigation, which is different than lane keeping assist
-The cord cut out in the center console is a nice touch and should have been present from 2018
-Steering feels tighter but that might just be a new versus old vehicle feeling--will have to see with time
-2021 Elite rims are growing on me - I like the black grille and the trim on the tailgate
-Feels weird not to have pinstripes (my 2018 was bought in Florida). The dealer was quick to point out they were going to remove them before reselling

I'll post this in the 2021 Price guide too, but here were my numbers after loyalty rebate. I negotiated the out of pocket difference and didn't care about the other numbers.
MSRP $48,940
Price paid $43,683.00

The new car came with wheel locks, splash guards, all weather mats, and cargo tray. I also paid for labor for the dealer to move my black roof rails and cross bars from the 2018.

Referencing a post on this website from 2017, I paid $45,950 OTD for my 2018 in July 2017, so with a trade in value of $32,412.55, the Odyssey depreciated $13,537.45 over 40 months ($338.44/month). The dealer trade in was a good $2,500-3,000 over online quotes from Carmax and Carvana.

I haven't seen any other 2021 Odyssey's on the road although I see plenty of 2018-2020s. I imagine with time Honda will need to increase the incentives due to the Sienna and Sedona, but the timing was good for me to make the jump now.

Lastly, I thought about changing to modern steel but decided to stick with the same blue/grey color scheme:
View attachment 158874
View attachment 158875

-I was out of warranty

MSRP $48,940
Price paid $43,683.00

View attachment 158874
View attachment 158875
Thanks for the details

-I was out of warranty

MSRP $48,940
Price paid $43,683.00

View attachment 158874
View attachment 158875
Hodog16: Thanks for the details, especially on the financing. I'm thinking of making the same trade-in and purchase--our '18 EXL for a '21 Elite.
Have you noticed any significant improvements in the electronics, more specifically in the quirky infotainment system in the '18s? Thanks.

Reactions: stanimal

Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
Looks nice. I'm slowly warming up to the 2021 design. Apart from the Elite wheels it looks good, especially the front end

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, that's the reason to keep vehicles awhile that the depreciation per month decreases with time, but I figure upgrading from a 2018 to a 2024 would cost similar enough as going from 2018 to 2021 to 2024 when you factor in the cost of maintaining an older vehicle versus the slower depreciation curve.

Gen13Gent: I have not noticed any improvements on the infotainment. My 2018 a few times would give me an error message asking me to turn the system off and back on again, and more than a few times my navigation would be blank. I haven't driven the 2021 enough to know if these quirks will still happen, but I can say there are no obvious improvements, so all we can hope for are less glitches!

Driving it a few more times, when the van is off the brake pedal feels like pushing against a brick but once you turn it on it turns back to normal. In the 2018 when off, the pedal would push like normal when starting it. Also the rear camera definitely looks clearer to me.

Registered
I traded my 2019 Odyssey EX for a 2021 Odyssey EX and like it better.The 10 speed auto in the 2021 is much better than the 9 speed in the 2019 and I didn't like the the hybrid system in the Toyota.The Chrysler and Kia forget it.

Registered
After driving it a few months, can you give us an additional update? Any other improvements? Safety system?
Was there any change in the dashboard / instrument panel layout? I saw somewhere advertizing that there are a few interior upgrades, without any details.

BTW, I hate the new front end design/grille. the 2018 was a million times better.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Hey I'm up to 2,000 miles now. No change to dashboard other than the speed limit indicator is moved beside the speedometer instead of the corner of the screen. Van drives well, still happy I made the move.

It's funny the new grille has really grown on me as have the rims.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts