Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously considering trading my 01 with 140k miles for an 04. with 95k. I so far have been lucky with the transmission, but i fear the end is near---and have noticed hesitation when changing gears. I don't really have a problem with trading it in to the dealer, for various reasons. Any major issues with the 04? Is it likely the transmission will be ok?
i have searched this forum, but still can't figure out if the 04 trannys are mcuh better.I need to act if I'm going to go for this deal. I'd appreciate your input asap.
Thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
This is the same issue I briefly considered when I first experienced some tranny issues with my 01 with 140K: Should I just trade it in with something newer?

I decided against this course of action and opted to keep my 01 with a failing tranny for the following reason.

1. The other systems in my Ody were functionning fine.
2. By trading the 01 in combined with the added cost of the 04 from a dealer, you'd lose more value than it would cost you to purchase a new transmission and knowing you are good for another 100K. The dealer will shave at least $2K off the value of your ody than you could get by selling it private party. Then, he'll overcharge you by around $1K-$2K on the 04 than if you were to buy it from a private party. That's $3-4K right there that you would lose on. That right there is a new transmission that you just paid for without knowing it.

You wouldn't know to trust the 04's tranny since these things fail unexpectedly (mine sure did!) and you really don't know how it was driven/maintained for 95K. For the cost of an extended warranty, you're almost halfway to the replacement cost of that tranny yet again.

If the rest of your ody is in good shape and nothing else is falling apart, I think you'd do better to keep the 01 and fix it if you want long term reliability. Diving into an unknown 04 with 40K miles less than your 01 is no insurance to avoid that $3-4K transmission cost.

If anything, I might be more tempted toward a Toyota Sienna if I were to do it all over again...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dbx--
Thanks so much for your reply. Your logic is good, but i there are a few other factors i have to consider. My wife has basically demanded we get rid of the van. there are other issues with it, and the dealer is offering me a deal that doesn't seem too bad.
Did the tranny problems get resolved in the 04--or mostly resolved? I can't find a brief synopsis of the tranny issues and changes anywhere.
Ben

·
Registered
60 Posts
I hope someone corrects me if I am wrong but I believe that the 04 transmission would still be susceptible to the same problems as the 99-02. I think a couple of features were added on by 04... the external transmission fluid filter (a black canister) and some kind of oil-jet modification to improve circulation. However, I think those changes did not definitively solve the causes of failure - namely overheating of the fluid leading to slipping leading to damage and subsequent transmission failure.

I don't think I'd expect the 04s to be significantly more reliable than the 01s or 02s. It's my belief that we haven't seen as many stories about the 04s failing yet simply because statistically, they're only 7 years old and not that many have reached the same kind of mileage where the 99s through 02s are now getting to and experiencing failure.

If you do end up switching to an 04, I would recommend adding an aftermarket transmission fluid cooler such as the Tru-Cool system that Jasper mandates on 2nd gen odyssey transmission replacements. It looks just like a paperback sized radiator. I would also slap on a Magnefine filter on the transmission oil return line from the cooler - just because so many people on this board seem to give it a thumbs up. The Tru-Cool is less than a hundred bucks I think and would take an hour to put in. Magnefine filter is not a significant cost.

I usually don't go for costly extended warranties but in this case, it might be a good hedge to seriously consider negotiating for one as part of your vehicle purchase.

dbx--
Thanks so much for your reply. Your logic is good, but i there are a few other factors i have to consider. My wife has basically demanded we get rid of the van. there are other issues with it, and the dealer is offering me a deal that doesn't seem too bad.
Did the tranny problems get resolved in the 04--or mostly resolved? I can't find a brief synopsis of the tranny issues and changes anywhere.
Ben

·
Registered
12 Posts
04 transmission

I have been working on my o4 this week so have been surfing the Honda site as well. There is a note regarding the 2nd generation 04's. They "say" 04's are more reliable.

·
Registered
53 Posts
'02-04s have the same 5-speed auto trans, my '02 tranny died at 126k on the way home from buying it :). And I mean DIED, I couldn't drive the van at all.

They do seem to be better than the earlier trannies, but they aren't bulletproof.

Dale

1 - 6 of 6 Posts