Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on selling my 06 ody and upgrading a coupla years, I intend to remove my trailer hitch and replace it on the updated car, after installing it the first time I found the bolts were extremely stubborn going in and I am kinda expecting some breakage on the removal, does Honda sell just the bolt kit? I know they are a high grade bolt, possibly available at a good hardware store?
Thanks

·
Registered
946 Posts
I checked the install sheet and there were no part numbers for the bolts, which are 12 x 40 mm.

You would have to make sure the grade markings are the same or better, though.

I have a hunch that the welded-in nut on the body will break free before the bolt actually breaks. Some have reported that happening when installing.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I think out of the 6(?) bolts I had one break on install. Next time around i will use a thread cleaning tool prior to install. I would rather have the bolt snap during removal than the welded nut break free.

·
Registered
369 Posts
bones774 said:
I am planning on selling my 06 ody and upgrading a coupla years, I intend to remove my trailer hitch and replace it on the updated car, after installing it the first time I found the bolts were extremely stubborn going in and I am kinda expecting some breakage on the removal, does Honda sell just the bolt kit? I know they are a high grade bolt, possibly available at a good hardware store?
Thanks
They are not a "high grade bolt" exactly, and with metric bolts you usually only have two grade to chose from. Most stores carry only one grade of Metric, and thats fine.

But as long as your buying new ones look at buying stainless steel bolts (or higher grade if you want) from McMaster Carr.

And while your browesing McMaster Carr, buy a tap to clean out the welded nut threads prior to installtion.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
These are fine-thread bolts and so corrosion will lock them solid. You are right that the nut will probably break free inside the frame before the bolt will snap. If that happens, maybe burn off the bolt head?

·
Registered
4 Posts
use thread cleaning tool not a tap..

for sure use a thread cleaning tool, not a tap - a tap can damage the existing threads if you are not careful.

your local carquest will sell a spark plug thread cleaner from Lisle Tool (lisle part # 20000) it costs $6 and works perfectly for the M12-1.25 pitch bolts in the Odyssey. Make sure you use anti-sieze and go slowly - this is better than using a tap.

on my 7 year old Odyssey the thread cleaning tool worked like a charm (i have a 12mm 1.25 pitch tap that I first tried to use - but was much more difficult).

i spent a total of 45 min - going slowly to clean the 4 bolts on my 2004 Ody.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts