Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to install the trailer hitch and also mud guards today...any particular gotchas to look for? Special tools required, etc? What's up with the 17MM hole saw, will a 5/8" drill bit work as well, or will it crack the bumper plastic or something?

------------------
2001 Odyssey LX

[This message has been edited by sliderule (edited 09-15-2001).]

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hello Sliderule,

Check out the thread http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000052.html

It has lots of info, and I have some pics at fototime. You can ditch the whole idea of taking off the bumper and the hole saw. Run the wiring through the tail light cover area.

PS: I have an 8 foot-long slide rule in my classroom so all the kiddies can see what people used to use in the Dark Ages.

cheers,

------------------
gbaxley
'01 TW EX

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks much, as it is I decided to remove the bumper anyway, because I had to cut it to fit around the hitch. Funny, isn't it, that only w/ the Honda hitch you have to trim the bumper?

It also made for a nice clean install, the wiring comes out just above the hitch crossmember and just off to the left of the receiver. A shop did the hitch install on our last minivan and they left the wiring inside the jack storage compartment, which was nice when you werent using it but a pain when you were.

And I came in on the tail end of slide rules, never really got to use them much. I get that name from my Jeep friends who think it's funny when I calculate driveline angles and suchlike.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
First I have heard of having to cut bumper to fit hitch. Where and how did you have to cut it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sinbad:
First I have heard of having to cut bumper to fit hitch. Where and how did you have to cut it?</font>
Just a notch on each side, where the brackets for the crossmember come out. The instructions are at http://www.handa-accessories.com/odyssey/odytrailerhitch.pdf, page 3, if you are interested.

------------------
2001 Odyssey LX

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
You are right. Can you cut out the two areas from underneath without removing the bumper?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sinbad:
You are right. Can you cut out the two areas from underneath without removing the bumper?</font>
Yes, you can, but it will be a little awkward marking where to cut, because you'd have to hold up the hitch frame to see it. I guess you could make a template from a piece of cardboard, though. The brackets go about 1.5" into the bumper. The cuts are angled in just to fit around the bracket, one on each side.
However, removing the bumper is not difficult at all, and you can route the wiring through it for a nice clean install.

------------------
2001 Odyssey LX

1 - 7 of 7 Posts