Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of adding the Honda trailer hitch to my 2001EX in anticipation of renting a small UHaul trailer (for sending the kid off to college, etc.). In other words, a relatively small load - so, would I need the recommended tranny cooler? It is my understanding that the cooler is needed if towing more than 2000 lbs. Has anyone had experience with this type of towing? and what would it cost purchase and have installed, the Honda trailer hitch?
THANKS! Jeff

·
Registered
616 Posts
I had the same thoughts of only pulling a trailer under 1500lbs and not doing the extra cooler on our 2000 model. I pulled JetSkis around without the cooler and the van did great. I opted to add the ATF cooler to further protect the transmission when I do long rode trips with the van loaded and pulling a trailer. JetSki means a summer time travelling through the dessert with the family, AC on, and hot so the ATF cooler give me extra piece of mind.

Their are quite a few discussion threads on trailering. The search feature on this site should find them.

BrianB

·
Registered
102 Posts
To me, its a simple warranty issue. If you do happen to have a problem with your transmission that can be attributed to heat build up related to towing and you do not have the ATF cooler installed, it could gat a bit testy. Honda could try to deny the warranty claim for failure to follow their specs for towing. Unlikely, but possible.

I live in a hot climate and prefer to have the additional cooling whether I am towing or not.

If you are only planning on towing a light load once or twice a year, the cooler is probably not worth the trouble. You did not mention how far you were towing the trailer or the type of terrain. These are both important factors to consider.

------------------
Craig

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I would be traveling from NY to Florida via Interstate 95 all the way. Might just do it once or twice. Not ona regular basis.

From reading the threads, it sounds like the bumber has to be cut for the Honda hitch? Is this correct? Arrrggg! JEFF

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I would be traveling from NY to Florida via Interstate 95 all the way. Might just do it once or twice. Not ona regular basis.

From reading the threads, it sounds like the bumber has to be cut for the Honda hitch? Is this correct? Arrrggg! JEFF

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
An aftermarket cooler (probably better than Honda's) can be purchased for $30~70. Installation isn't too difficult (see Jim's write-up).

I think a tranny cooler is a good idea, regardless of what, or if, you tow. I plan on installing one this coming spring (and I don't have plans for a hitch, yet).

Just my $0.02 worth,
Mel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts