Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We want to pull a small trailer with camping supplies from Fresno, Ca, up 6000 feet into Sequoia National Park with our 2007 Odyssey. Does anyone think that is too much for an Odyssey?
Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
The owner's manual has a real nice section on trailer towing. Read and comprehend.

I've been pulling our 2,700# popup camper since the van was nearly new and now have 150,000 miles on the original powertrain. I think that qualifies as 'capable.'

·
Registered
296 Posts
sbhayden1 said:
We want to pull a small trailer with camping supplies from Fresno, Ca, up 6000 feet into Sequoia National Park with our 2007 Odyssey. Does anyone think that is too much for an Odyssey?
Has anyone done this?
I'm sure the Ody is quite up to the task, however, are you implying you want to do this without the trans/power steering coolers ?

That would not be a good idea, since you'll be going up various grades, you're going to be running in a lower gear quite often and heat build up for sure. As for the power steering, another user (some years ago) posted a graph of temps showing that what heats up the p/s is rpm, so again, lower gear, higher rpm, p/s is going to get hot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After much deliberation, I decided to tow our 1200 lb Boston Whaler 150 miles (300 RT) this past weekend in our 02 Ody (90K on it). It does NOT have the trans or PS cooler. I have never towed the boat more than 50 miles before (that was just once), and normally it's less than 2 miles for me to the boat ramp.

We made it w/o any problems. Temp needle remained in normal range. The roads were mostly flat and I drove 55 most of the time. Suffice it to say though I will not do this again as the worry factor is just too high. If I had more time and was closer to the dealer I would have had the job done. I took the chance though. You may not be so lucky if you are reading this and contemplating towing w/o the add on trans/PS coolers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts